430 interior rear dashcam install tips and tricks | FerrariChat

430 interior rear dashcam install tips and tricks

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheDiffuser, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ive searched on the forum and came up with this thread, about removing internal panels. No links offered by the replier - https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-dash-cam-video-camera-installation.481000/

I just spoke to a dashcam installer who said that it wouldnt be worth installing a rear dashcam in the 430 rear window of the cabin, as the coupe has the double glass, interior window, then the engine bay glass. He said it would compromise any decent image quality.

There doesnt seem to be any dashcam that could withstand the engine bay temperatures (joke) and I wondered if anyone has either installed a rear dashcam, or has links to any that have been done?

I really rely on a rear dashcam as much as a front facing unit. I was thinking about a separate dashcam on the exterior of the car eg ala a parking camera, but that wouldnt integrate with the Blackvue system I want to use.

Anyone have any ideas about how to go about this please?

Thanks.

DefunctNeurons and neil e dale like this.
  2. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Just as food for thought? how about a rear camera on the rear plate? no obstruction / viewing thru glass issues! I seem to recall that the common guy/supercar youtube chap Daniel has a front & rear dash cam on his F430 coupe!

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For sure you cannot mount it in the cabin, i tried that and the picture is very poor re the engine bay glass. You can get wireless reversing cameras which are very good, so maybe you can use that as a base to build on.

4. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I imagine there is some clever IT expert that could adapt / integrate a blackvue or backup camera to the system ! just search for one !

6. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Cell phone picture of video viewing on my desktop, so quality is all over the place.

It was extra sunny that day and my engine window was not cleaned 100%, interior just needed a wipe down, but the glare is what ate most of the picture bouncing off the shiny carbon panels. Rear cam still did its job. Not as great as Fenz's 750 quality but worth it. Alternatively, you could mount the rear camera near the front facing towards the cabin for cabin/passenger view as I do in my minivan, although the result of vehicle rear view is not great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

neil e dale likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Thats a lot better than the pics i got from a road hawk hd camera

neil e dale likes this.
  8. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    That image quality looks very good. Can you read car plates that are captured behind you? What's the images line at night, could you post if you have please?

It'd be great to have a zoom function on the rear cam. It's the distance to the exterior as opposed to the two layers of glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I can see that if the rear window was cleaned it would still be a bit compromised, due to the light, as you mentioned. Still its better footage than nothing, thanks for posting.

10. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Also are you able to post some close ups of your rear camera mounted, showing wiring where it exits the cabin, into the camera please?

Id assume the night footage wouldnt be very helpful to identify and accident/vandalism though?

Many thanks.

11. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    If cars are close enough, yes - with a little effort you can read plates.
    It's not optimal to have the rear camera placed almost in the middle of the vehicle, but it works OK. The mounting options are few in this type of car, I assume it will work better in a estate. :)

I uploaded an example video from my front/rear camera on Youtube:

I did some research before choosing the Blackvue DR750S prior to the new 4K DR900S.
    The DR750S works better in the dark, which was an important factor to be able to have it running in parking mode during night.
    The DR900S is better during daytime, due to the 4K resolution.
    Sorry, I don't have any saved night footage to share.

About mounting, I can take a few pictures later - but it's not the prettiest install. I did it quick and dirty, just to get things running.
    During the winter I will remove interior panels and do a full reinstall of the dashcams.

neil e dale likes this.
  12. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Hey Febz that's brilliant footage to be able to see how the dash cams work, thanks for posting, big help in decision making.

13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    are you talking about a back cam for viewing when reversing? or one for recording purposes?

14. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Im after a cam fitted to record, not a reversing camera. I was hoping someone had ideas on an exterior mounted 'dash' cam that could connect to the internal front dashcam/ssd recording unit. The 430 has the interior glass and engine bay glass to view through, so close up rear views are difficult.

neil e dale likes this.
  15. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #15 _JERRY_, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    i'm using an iROAD x9. Since day 1, havent had issues. I didnt do the installation though. The back video capture features zooming capabilities, definitely good enough to see the license plate. Have not tried with extremely bad lighting though. You can look into it. (Lets put it this way, if the car was close enough to impact, that distance/range, the zoom is sufficient).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

On the topic of dashcams, contrary to popular beliefs, Blackvues and Thinkwares are not only unreliable, but a pain to install. I wanted to use a Blackvue, but when i went to my local cam installer, i had the priviledge of speaking to another customer (an owner of a bmw), who was returning a Blackvue unit for an iROAD. I then proceeded to speak to the boss of the cam installer shop and he showed me his back room full of chucked away faulty Blackvues and Thinkwares that other customers had thrown away to replace with the iROAD. I recall, it was this experience that made me choose the iROAD when i first got the car.

I'm sure there will be mixed opinions and other users' experiences may differ, just some sharing of my own personal experience. Cheers!

16. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    That's excellent info on the iroad Ill definitely look into it especially compared to the Blackvue etc. Thanks for the detailed post.

17. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    In what way are the unreliable? What problems did you have?
    I'm curious as I had several Blackvues during the years, never had any problems (luck maybe).
    My friend had problems once, but they were related to an cheap SD card.

Pain to install? What problems did you run into? It's just two wires? One for the rear camera and one for power.

18. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    watch those you tube videos fr
    Normal Guy Supercar
    (15,912 subscribers) he has a blackvue F & R dashcam on his F430 and it works apparently ! I was saying a license plate rear view ( reversing ) camera could be adapted by some clever chap to record as well!

TheDiffuser likes this.
  19. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    hence :
    [​IMG]

15:47

Installing the NEW BlackVue DR900S 2CH Dash Cam in my Ferrari F430

Normal Guy Supercar

3.6K views2 months ago

I love my BlackVue Dash Cam. It's already been very helpful, but I reached out to BlackVue and they sent me their latest model, ...

[​IMG]
    6:22

Ferrari F430 Dash Cam installation

Normal Guy Supercar

1.5K views1 year ago

I won a new and better Dash Cam at the Cars for the Coast a few weeks ago, so I decided to install it on the Ferrari F430.

[​IMG]
    3:09

More Ferrari F430 Dash Cam Clips

Normal Guy Supercar

161 views1 year ago

More random dash cam clips taken in the Ferrari F430. Includes: Lexus cutting me off and ignoring yield sign Toyota SUV curbs it ...

[​IMG]
    0:31

Dash Cam - Close call in the Ferrari F430

Normal Guy Supercar

348 views1 year ago

Driving home from grabbing some lunch, a SUV merged into my lane without checking her blind spot. Thank science for great ...

[​IMG]
    8:29

F430 dash cam

Sensible Living Podcast & Blog

46 views5 years ago

this is the dash cam from my race day..last the last lap the USB poped out. but I get a free upgrade for next year.

[​IMG]
    15:38

Blackvue DR900S-2CH 4K Dashcam Review! WOW!!

Auto Auction Rebuilds

15K views5 months ago

DR900S 2CH: https://amzn.to/2JqQ0yJ DR900S 1CH: https://amzn.to/2JaBGee B-124 Battery Pack: https://amzn.to/2Hm8Pha ...

[​IMG]
    1:48

Dashcam Spots! Ferrari F430 Spider, TVR Chimaera, Porsche 911 Carrera GTS And More!

UK Car Spotter

76 views2 months ago

NOTE: I WROTE TVR S, BUT IT'S ACTUALLY A TVR CHIMAERA! These are just a few cars I captured on dashcam on the way ...

[​IMG]
    2:21

Davide's Dashcam - Ferrari F430 spider

Davide Sola Drei

72 views2 years ago

Ferrari F430 spider.

[​IMG]

20:29

How to change the spark plugs on a Ferrari F430

Normal Guy Supercar

11K views1 month ago

How to change the spark plugs on the Ferrari F430. It's a pretty basic DIY job that you can accomplish using basic tools.

1:18

FERRARI F430 RACE MODE FULL THROTTLE PART 9 POV DASH CAM

240SSONLY

7.4K views8 years ago

FERRARI F430 RACE MODE FULL THROTTLE PART 9 POV DASH CAM WOT THRU THE LOW GEARS... NOT ENOUGH ROAD ...

[​IMG]
    0:05

Dashcam Spots #26 Ferrari F430 !!

Supercars of Lancashire

29 views1 year ago

I created this video with the YouTube Video Editor (http://www.youtube.com/editor)

20. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Most likely won't work. The rear view cameras found on ebay etc are often analog low quality/low resolution cameras.
    The rear camera of the Blackvue is most likely a high resolution digital camera, communicating with the main unit.

If you don't like the center-mount rear camera in a F430, there is other 12v DVR systems available on the market that could connect 1-4 analog cameras.
    Would be a better route than trying to figure out the Blackvue interface.. But analog cameras = bad quality.

21. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I have usb routed to my headliner for forward cam. For a rear cam I have two options I use. One I suction to the rear class behind my head facing rearward. The other option I have is a permanent camera mount on the rear splitter.

22. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
  23. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    There is a lot of clever things around for those who like to develop their own solutions. I like it, but in the Ferrari, no... I go with Blackvue :)

Offtopic:
    On my race trailer I have three 1080P fish eye board networks cameras (left side, right side, rear view). They are connected to a modified broadband router with Wi-Fi that is permanently mounted on the trailer, together with an 9-18v DC/DC converter that provides 12v for cameras and router.
    In my car I have an Android tablet connected to the trailer's Wi-Fi and a software to view cameras. Works great!
    Below is a picture of the tablet, mounted to the left of the steering wheel, while driving with my race trailer behind.

Sky Hye likes this.
  24. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal

Does anyone offer solutions higher than 1080P? I find even at 1440 I cannot pick up license plates with enough detail to use it in court or for a police report.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app