Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Schumacher titanium

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

damn dude super nice!!!!!!

3. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    WOW! Stunning watch collection!

ronfrohock likes this.
  4. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Aiming for a 5711, unfortunately the waitlist is currently 18 months for both AD is my area

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Odd 5711 doesnt do anything for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I get that, I prefer the simplicity in all my watches (currently) as it tends to be more adaptive to a variety of situations that it can be worn in

7. pyth

pyth Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    That actually doesn’t seem too bad. Are you a repeat customer?

I’ve been told 2+ years for a steel royal oak and at Patek “oh, we have a waitlist of 10 people and we get about 1 watch a year” for both the Nautilus and Aquanaut.

8. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Looking to be a first time customer, I haven’t found anything else as simplistic I like. I’m on a couple waitlists, I was told about 18 months for 5711.

APs depends on boutique, over at another watch forum, people have had a month or 2 wait time depending on dial choice

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  10. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Love the Zeitwerk

ronfrohock and plastique999 like this.
  11. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
  12. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    zygomatic and ronfrohock like this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    supergrilldds likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login The above picture is from the Patek website- here is a crappy iPhone pic- the new Twenty four- just released and I managed to snag one of the first in the country, if not the world.

15. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Nice choice one of the first on the market ;)

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have a sincere and serious question. I ask it without any judgement or jealousy.

I have about 20 watches. I have 3 Rolexes, two Omegas, and a dozen watches worth much less. I once owned a Calatrava (manual wind), which I traded a few years back.

Frankly, I keep the Rolexes so I will have nice watches and I believe my business is such that I can't wear a cheap watch. (I know it is a bit superficial, but I do love the Rolex brand.)

My question is this . . . I really don't miss the Patek. (I traded it a few years back for a gold Yachtmaster.) But you guys who have Pateks seem to be very happy with them. It is simply a question of exclusivity? I really like the Aquanaut and Nautilus, but I wonder if it is worth the price. I make good money and can afford a modest Patek, but my Calatrava was not that memorable (again, no insult intended).

They are beautiful, but do you really think that they are worth the price? I know it is subjective, but I'd like some opinions.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I was just at the AD and bought some Rolexes, that's another thread.

I keep looking at Pateks, but I just don't get it. They really don't "pop." The faces of the entry and midlevel watches are very basic. And, many are gold. It seems like gold is a bit out of style?

Was watching a youtube video on independent switch watch makers, that put out 3-20 watches a year. Cost the same as a patek, seem way cooler and perhaps more collectible?

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    No insults intended - to me its like asking how do you justify a ferrari when you can buy a Porsche or MB.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Buy what you love, not what others think you love. For me, a Patek is the culmination of a lifelong appreciation of fine watches. Ive always loved the concept of Patek, but didnt care for many of their earlier watches. Im a big guy- 6'4" and most pateks used to be in the mid 30mm range. Now that they have 42mm models (5905, 5968, 5168, etc etc) it has allowed me to go all in to the brand without having to compromise on size.

Yes, the Calatravas are boring for the most part. Im not a fan of most partly because most are undersized for my taste except for the 5524 which is my favorite piece right now.

The nautilus I agree are overpriced but they are nice watches. Personally for me, my plan is to buy every 42mm and larger watch from Patek. I own a 5905, 5524, 5522. I have a 5968 on order. And that is most of the modern Pateks. Lets see what they introduce at Basel but I will guess it will be more watches in the 42mm size that have been very popular.

At the end of the day however, if Patek doesn't float your boat, its ok. Get Rolex. Its not about whats popular or hip, buy whats in your comfort level and what you desire. ttforcefed put it nicely- there are no insults intended or taken - but you can buy an Audi, you can buy a Porsche, you can buy a Ferrari, you can buy a Pagani. No right or wrong- buy what floats your boat. for me its a Patek all day every day!

ronfrohock likes this.
  20. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for that. I am glad that someone did address the price issue, because it is relevant.

As for the cars, I'd love a Pagani, and if I were single, I might spring for one. Those cars are art and engineering rolled into one. If Michelangelo were alive today, he'd design the Pagani. But as a husband and father, the F-Cars are about as extravagant as I can go. I justified owning an F-50 (I had it about 6 months) because I bought it with a friend, and I was flush with cash at the time. And my friend promised to buy me out if money got tight. But given my situation in life, I have to get the kids married off before I go that route again. (However, I am looking for a reasonably priced 599 GTO--it would mean selling a few other toys to get it.)

I have owned Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes. My Porsche (a 911 convertible) was a truly great car, but it didn't give me the feeling of having the "soul" of the Ferraris I have owned. My wife wants me to get a 911 because she liked driving the convertible. But I'd rather have something else. I appreciate your feedback.

By the way, my wife loved driving the 355 and 550 Barchetta. She drove the 360 CS once and said it was too much of a race car. She never drove the F-50. She was afraid of it. She really didn't like riding in it because she said it was all about the sound. And I drove it like a race car--always accelerating off the line, always speeding, shifting for the pleasure of the sound, etc. I can see why she was afraid of it. You need a healthy respect for that car to drive it.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And ive owned Rolex, Zenith, IWC, AP and other brands and none gave me the feeling of wearing a Patek. Its a personal decision, no right or wrong. Buy what you can afford and enjoy.

mytoys and ronfrohock like this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh there’s no right answer...if it doesnt make you tingle its not worth the dollars. I like ap and patek. Loved panerai until they went mainstream.

23. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Just like a car, it all comes down to personal preference. If you don’t get it, we’re not going to be able to explain it. Find what calls to you.

24. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Perfect!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Thanks, everyone for the feedback.

I actually appreciated the comment on the expense of the watch. I didn't want to insult anyone, but I had only and entry level Patek (Calatrava) and it was relatively expensive for an entry level watch.

Too many people on the internet are afraid to talk about price because they all want to seem rich. I appreciate the honesty here.