2019 Tailor Made 812 SF in Blu Simond | FerrariChat

2019 Tailor Made 812 SF in Blu Simond

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bundy, Nov 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Our interest in Tailor Made began in the summer of 2016. While visiting Ferrari of Atlanta to order the 488 GTB, we saw Ian Coburn's beautiful Tailor Made F12 for sale in the showroom. I honestly hadn't considered an F12 but couldn't get that car out of my mind after seeing all the custom TM details, like the pebble-textured Pelle Frau Carminio red and Inchiostro black leather, Nero Elkann painted details, and red accents on the interior carbon fiber. After purchasing the F12, we attended the Finali Mondiali rally with Ian and his lovely wife. We became close friends and subsequently attended the January 2017 private preview of the 812 Superfast in Maranello. Our TM appointment was last September, so it took about 13 months to receive the car. Nathalie and I enjoyed the 812 TM experience with Stephanie and her talented design team so much that we just did TM again last month with the Pista.

With the 812, we were hoping to create something elegant and timeless: a modern interpretation of a historic 1950's or early 60's GT car. We've owned a lot of silver and gray cars, and wanted to get some color into the 812 design while still having a lot of black and gray tones. We settled on colors that you might find in a nicely tailored men's suit & accessories: blue, brown, gray, and black.

Like so many of you, I immediately fell for the gorgeous Blu Simond tdf created by Tim (Traveller). His thread is also probably still my favorite ever on Ferrari Chat. I had previously seen a pretty Blu Medio Metallic Testarossa at Ferrari of Atlanta, and Blu Simond struck me as a similar but nicer version of that historic color. We also strongly considered using the gorgeous blue from David and Chase Nelson's lovingly restored 1951 Ferrari 212 alloy bodied Ghia coupe after they graciously allowed Stephanie at TM to share it with us. We also reviewed dozens of new blue paint samples at TM with the idea of naming our own color. In the end, we simply couldn't find any blue that we liked more that the ones used by the Simonds and Nelsons. We chose Blu Simond because it had more black and gray tones which fit our design brief and tied in so nicely with the the exterior nero carbon fiber.

For the leather, we were hoping to find a taupe brown with strong black and gray tones. Stephanie introduced us to Foglizzo 1921 leather, which is most often used in custom yachts. It had a soft, waxed feel and seemed pretty durable. It also had a beautiful variegated texture. The Tailor Made team paired it with a blue Cordura and suggested black Mycroprestige for the floorboards and trunk. The mycroprestige is hydrophobic. We hope to put tens of thousands of miles on the 812, and liked the idea of durable materials.

To complete the interior design, we chose matte carbon fiber and two custom rear shelf bags in the Foglizzo leather with blue Cordura accents. Stitching was done with a TM-specific gray blue thread. All interior metal was finished in Grigio Corsa, and the tach is silver. For the exterior, painted shields and a painted small Italian flag on the rear decklid, along with the diamond finish tdf wheels, full glossy CF, silver brake calipers, and satin finished emblems. On hindsight, I wish we had selected the CF engine cover pieces as found on our TM F12; might have to add those.

We want to thank Stephanie and the outstanding Tailor Made team for their invaluable ideas and enthusiasm. It was awesome to reunite with them last month on the Pista design. Michael Mills, Will Campbell, and Michael Roth at Ferrari of Atlanta were a huge source of inspiration and support, as was Ian Coburn who has an incredible eye for design. He's a great ambassador for both Ferrari and Tailor Made.

Walter Sippel at Atlanta Motorsports Park did a beautiful job in capturing some of the subtle design details. I met him recently when AMP asked me to do a promotional video of my Radical SR3 RSX:

The Blu Simond is as mercurial as Tim suggested. I've really enjoyed corresponding with Tim, and want to thank him for making this incredible color available to us.

I hope the photos prove helpful. We're blessed to have access to cars as great as the 812 Superfast, and bespoke design options like Tailor Made. These are the good old days. Happy Holidays to my fellow FChatters.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic pics to go along with a superb spec and wonderful story. Congratulations!! I would love to see higher res but these are beautiful!

stavura, F12JAJ, NürScud and 5 others like this.
  3. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you! I have full-resolution photos but they are about 11-12 MB and FChat's limit seems to be 5 MB. :(

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  4. Reiziger

Reiziger Rookie

Aug 22, 2018
    Disneyland
    Outstanding. Really wonderful spec, inside and out.

Appreciate the back story and the pictures. Nice to get some insight into the TM process and options available.

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bundy likes this.
  7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you, Reiziger and Jaz. The Tailor Made studio is a virtual candy store of materials, paint colors, and design ideas that I didn't even know existed. It's also a great excuse to visit Maranello and meet the talented & enthusiastic folks that make Ferrari such a special company.

Very true. Depending on the light, I see more blue, or black, or even gray.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PantherMD

PantherMD Karting

Dec 14, 2016
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    David G
    Thank you Anir great write-up!

F2003-GA and Bundy like this.
  9. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    You're so correct that these are the good old days. Everyone at Ferrari of Atlanta has enjoyed moving through the process with you both. Your vision for the car is beautiful.

10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thanks, David. Enjoyed our chat.

I appreciate that, Will. Nathalie and I feel blessed to be part of the Ferrari of Atlanta family. Congratulations on being awarded the Top Service Department Worldwide at Finali Mondiali this year.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks Anir, such TM cars need those threads with the whole story and detailed pictures. Enjoy it, I'm pretty sure Tim is proud

Bundy likes this.
  12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
  13. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #14 Bundy, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks, RJ and Olivier. Tim is a very cool chap.

Thank you, Jerry, for the photo! I also found another one. Hopefully, the options are easier to read with this resolution? I've also included a delivery photo showing the entire interior. The leather looks lighter than it really is, but it gives a sense of the overall design.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

tickerhound, Ak3, R J and 7 others like this.
  14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    This is the gorgeous blue on the 1951 Ferrari 212 Ghia alloy coupe belonging to David and Chase Nelson. It was a very close runner-up for our TM 812 paint selection, and we still hope to use it someday. It's one of my favorite colors, and cars, in the world. Kudos to them for saving this historical work of art. Hard to believe Ferrari was only 4 years old when this car was created.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Anir it is very generous of you to share your tailor made 812 here on FerrariChat. Thank you for your time and efforts; to share with words and pictures all the elusive details that went into such an impressive yet subtle tailor made build spec!

Caeruleus11, F2003-GA and Bundy like this.
  16. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    It's Beautiful Anir!! Congratulations!!

Bundy likes this.
  17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thank you for sharing. It is generous beyond words- and aspirational. Beautiful creation. Drive it well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    OMG! What an amazing car and amazing spec! I bet it comes with an amazing price! Enjoy.

Bundy likes this.
  19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thank you, Gents. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Absolutly a perfect taste, wonderful paint !!! congrats

21. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Fantastic!

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Anir, congratulations on your lovely TailerMade!! It’s so special to make every detail to your precise instructions and I must applaud you on a very classy 812™️

carlom001, Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  23. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Very nice , thank you for sharing!

Bundy likes this.
  24. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Nice, the car is beyond beautiful.
    I'm humbled by your well written and articulate write up, thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.
    Congratulations.

Caeruleus11, Thecadster and Bundy like this.