Looking for Ferrari 166 History | FerrariChat

Looking for Ferrari 166 History

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by LiveinColumbus, Dec 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LiveinColumbus

Dec 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    abcdefg
    I live in Columbus, OH and I recently acquired a damaged vintage Ferrari wire wheel. It said it came off of a Ferrari 166 that won first at Sebring by EB Lunken of Cincinnati. On the back it says it was wrecked at Maumee (another illegible word follows and then...) Bill Heldt track.

I want to hang this on my wall in my office, but would like to hang some supporting memorabilia to go with it. So I have some questions....

What year did EB Lunken win at Sebring and in which Ferrari 166 chassis?
    Maumee is a small town near Toledo, what track could Lunken have been driving on in the 50's when he wrecked? On an internet search no results are found. Maybe it is no longer there.
    Who is William "Bill" Heldt, and what was his relation to Lunken?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Edmund P. Lunken and co-driver Charles Hassan raced 166 MM Barchetta Touring chassis #0054 M on 8th March 1953 at Sebring and placed 6th OA.

Marcel Massini

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    There's a slight semantic error: Edmund P Lunken was known as 'Ebby' Lunken. His two sons are E B (also known as Ebby) and Esh.
    So the man you're seeking information about is known either as E P Lunken or Ebby Lunken. EB Lunken would be his son.

In 1953 E P Lunken and Chuck Hassan (Charles R Hassan) placed 6th Overall and 1st in Class (Class E, 2000cc's and under aka 'the 2-liter class') at the 12 hours of Sebring at the wheel of Mr. Lunken's 1950 Ferrari 166MM #0054M.

Bill Heidt was the next owner/bought the car from Lunken.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. LiveinColumbus

Dec 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    abcdefg
    @Marcel Massini and @readplays Thank you for the very helpful info! It sounds like the wheel I have is off chassis #0054M as the history of that car coincides with the information that came with this wheel. Was Bill Heldt or Heidt an Ohio guy as well? What track could he have wrecked 0054M in Maumee? Maumee is such a small town, I can't help but think it wasn't an official race but maybe while doing some training laps?

Now to find some period photos of 0054M with Lunken or Heldt driving it, and some items from 1953 Sebring and it will be a nice display.

I did some googling and it looks like a guy named Herbert Swan may have bought the car after Lunken? or was it indeed Heldt?

readplays likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Bill Heldt raced 0054 M at the President's Cup at Andrews AFB on 2 May 1954, with race #110.
    Heldt was from Ohio as well.
    0054 M lives in Stamford/CT since March 2005.

Marcel Massini

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    A lot of the sports car races in the US in the 1950s took place on military airfields thanks in large part to the efforts of Brigadier General Curtis LeMay (USAF), himself a big sports racing enthusiast. Sebring itself was formerly Hendricks Army Airfield.
    With respect to Maumee, if the car was indeed raced there, I would be interested to know if there had ever been a military field there that could have later hosted races.