Scottsdale Cars and Coffee new location | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Scottsdale Cars and Coffee new location

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by AZ-Giallo, Mar 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Very cool, and thanks for extending the invite to us here.

I will join when in town (I live near old town so this is plenty convenient, but have merely a Maser GT at the moment - hopefully that is exotic enough?)

Sadly I will not be here that thanksgiving week. (btw - I think you have a typo and meant Tuesday, Nov 20?)

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The maser will be plenty fine. Yes - Tuesday the 20th. It’s just casual. Nothing organized or formal. If it grows into something great. If it’s a casual gathering once a month- great.

Will try to do it every third Tuesday.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hi all- just a heads up. Going to postpone next tuesday. A buddy of mine got a professional photographer lined up and we are going to go to a private hanger at Scottsdale airport and get some professional shots of our rides.

I’ll post when the next meet up is.

4. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Saw you on Raintree in the 488 yesterday. Car looks great.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    actually my wife was driving the 488. I had the 720.

6. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    At least I thought it was yours...went by so fast tires smoking and all :D

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Anyone going to C&C this Saturday? Going to take the 720 and maybe join the Mclaren group for a ride up to Jerome. Not sure yet as I might have a commitment on Saturday afternoon. But ill be at C&C for sure. Stop by, say hello. Hopefully its a good turnout this month.

8. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’m done bringing my Ferrari up there, maybe stop by and park my daily driver....

synchro, RWP137 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Can’t say I blame you. It’s 5 minutes from my house so I’ll go. It’s not the same event it used to be but will go with some friends.

10. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I plan on going this month. Will look for you. I have a black 458 spider

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ill be there with some friends. Debating if Im going to go on the Mclaren drive after. Will play it by ear.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Same history as many other Cars N Coffees across the USA, starts out great, gets too huge, lowest common denominator takes over and bad things happen to cars/shops/accidents, display areas revoked.

Penske is a far better event now

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree- the Penske event is quite fun actually. the size is good.

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

For those of us in the east/south valley, cars at casa is very nice as well. Usually don’t make Penske, since same day usually.

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why start this on a weekend that conflicts with Penske?

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Wow, the big C&C in north Scottsdale was a big disappointment yesterday. I haven't been in a couple of years, but had a general sense of the muscle car takeover going in...

But, the gf and I got up very early (for me) to go this month's since its auction month and we typically see (and were promised on the website) some special "best of the best" cars this time of year.

I was very disappointed that there were no "auction star" cars there (yeah a couple of daytona's and I think a 330, and a couple "maybe" Shelby GT350s).

And the number of "meh cars" (meh, as in "I see these cars at every stop light in Scottsdale every day"), like modern mustangs and corvettes was overwhelming. There might not have been more than 25 Ferrari's. I remember this event having far more higher quality cars (in ratio at least) back at the old location 10 years ago. Its a reality that many owners of the best cars in town are avoiding that zoo.

We certainly won't waste our time going again. Not blaming anyone, this is obviously the way these things turn out after enough time and success. I'm a perfect example, there was no reason to take the CS there when I still had it. I get that some guys still take nice cars there (I saw a few members' cars - Speciale, Specialte Aperta to name two), but its a minority nowadays. The really special stuff ain't going to the monthly C&C's anymore in the current muscle car and revving-kid, zoo incarnations.

17. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I was there too and felt the same way. where were the la gerrari, bugatti's etc. It is auction month so expected much better quality. there were lots of cars but to your point quality was not the best. took my 458 spider there and if local dealers didnt bring their cars it would have been like going to the pavilions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I agree it wasn’t the greatest turnout. I too was hoping to see “Better cars”. But what saves it for me was that I go with a bunch of friends. We hang out for a bit and then go have breakfast. The event now is just an excuse to get together.

benny11_85308 likes this.
  19. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ll say it again: Saturday morning cars & coffee should be excotics only in a smaller better suited venue. The muscle cars should stick to the pavilions on Saturday afternoon/evening. I was planning on going up there without the Ferrari just to walk around and check out the auction stuff. Now I’m glad I didn’t bother driving up there.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Then just go to the Penske event. As much as I agree with you, the muscle car fans aren’t going to be happy with your position.

Me personally , I don’t think I’ve ever gone past the barrier that separates the exotics from the muscle/Asian cars.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well I am actually a muscle car guy too, so I take my old 1965 Corvette to the pavilions on a regular basis. That’s the place for muscle cars, Scottsdale C & C was always an exotics show until somewhat recently. I will try Penske, but usually end up at the Casa C & C on the 3rd Saturday since it’s close by.

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I was one of the guys that started this event when it was at Gainey and I can't believe what it has turned into.

It actually started very simply. There were about 6 of us that had been getting together for coffee every weekend for years. We were a group that was tired of the Ferrari club and all the BS that went along with that. There were at least 2 former regional directors in the group (myself and one other). We always met at the Coffee Bean at Gainey, and one day we decided to invite a 'few friends'. 6 turned to 10. 10 to 20. 20 to 50 and before you knew it.... Steve and I came up with a name for the event (Motorsports Gathering), and because of the folks that all of us knew (mainly Steve), it grew and grew! But it was all about exotics and special cars. It was never meant to be ricers and domestics..... and that is what made it special. Word quickly spread that on the 1st Saturday of the month you could see cars that were only on your bedroom wall. For us, it was just getting together with friends. Our group of friends just got bigger! We had invented a non-car club, car club to go along with it.... Scuderia SW. The motto was "No officers, no meetings, no drama...... just fun with cars". It was all a bit of joke. It was the anti car club.

But just as with anything that is good, simple and easy (this is what happened with our FCA adventure). There always surfaces a group of folks that feel that a car club, social group or whatever...(fill in the blank), is the meaning of life and MUST take it over. Now you have the thing that happens on Mayo.

I was kind of marginalized before it moved and had never been to the Mayo event until a couple of months ago. I wouldn't have gone but I was going on a drive with the McLaren dealer and for some God forsaken reason they wanted to meet there. I went and it was a zoo. I can't imagine looking forward to that event or wanting to go back. Gainey was small (ish), intimate, special and most of all fun.

There are a couple of nice, small and intimate events going on the 1st and 2nd Saturdays of the month that I'm not going to name for fear that they turn into the 'Mayo' event. PM me if you want to know.

Here are a couple of shots from the 'old days'... '(the GTO is the real deal) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

agup48 likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The only good thing about the c and c event on Mayo is that you do t have to wake up at 5 am to get a spot like you did at the gainey location. Besides that- all the comments are spot on.

RWP137 likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I never had an issue getting a nice spot...I must have stopped going to that one when it got that crowded...or, perhaps more likely I was simply a "late bird" and got there after some folks left and took their spot ;)

I may check on the Penske one. What day is it again?

25. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob