F355 Zircotec, Swain Tech, Heat shields, Headers... | FerrariChat

F355 Zircotec, Swain Tech, Heat shields, Headers...

Discussion in '348/355' started by RidePride, Dec 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RidePride

RidePride Rookie

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    michael meyer
    Hi everybody. Long time lurker first time post. Had the car for 5 years- love it. Red 355 spyder type.

So I’ve corrected the valve guides and decided to remove and replace the headers before problems occur. I found a pair of custom SS headers and had Zircotec spray them Performance White before they came back to USA from Europe. The car is in for a major and decided to Swaintech White Lightning the cats and x pipe. Will be applying 2000 degree hi temp Rustoleum matte black to keep cosmetics.

I can not find if there are oem heat shields to protect the radiator and A/C compressor. I have found carbon fiber aftermarket heat shields and if no oem shields then I would first apply Zircoflex 3 on them and have them installed.

As this is an experiment with performance, and since Zircotec claims a Ferrari 360 race team reports a 50c reduction in underbonnet temps post treatment, I plan on reporting operating temps back here at a later date.

My question to you 355 gurus...can somebody confirm if there are oem heat shields that protect the alternator and A/C compressor separate from the OEM shrouds that enclose the headers?

Thanks

2. RidePride

RidePride Rookie

Dec 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    michael meyer
    Additionally, since the Zircoflex is malleable and has an adhesive backing, where else would you recommend applying it in the engine compartment?

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    There aren’t any OEM heat shields on the alternator and a/c compressor. Some unshielded replacement headers like the fabspeed option have heatshields for alternator you can add to mitigate this. I run Tubi headers for the heat shielding. Otherwise I too would look for ways to prevent heatsoak to those items in close proximity including engine mounts.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Like Elliot I also run tubi headers and that was one of the big reasons I went with them

I also just this year because I had the engine out also added aftermarket shields from glenn at exotic carbon fiber

5. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I run Fabspeed headers, and I have aftermarket heat shields for alternator and A/C compressor. Can’t remember for sure if the shields came from Fabspeed or another vendor, but they are simple flat parts. I added that space age gold foil heat mat to further reduce heat transfer and had my sexy polished exhaust ceramic coated flat black. All of this has kept my components happy and under hood temps at least 50F lower than before the exhaust change. It’s been 10,000 miles and 6 years since I did it and I have had no issues. Doing a major very soon and I will replace the Gold foil when it’s out on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I believe you can buy the A/C and alternator shields as standalone pieces from Fabspeed.. which should be cheaper then the CF pieces some vendors offer..

I've been running my Fabspeed headers for 3 seasons, bare naked out of the box direct bolt on, with the supplied shields with zero issues.

7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Swain tech is amazing stuff, I put it on open headers of a project and it truly works, plus it looks incredibly cool.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Swain tech is good across the board. When I was doing air cooled stuff they put me above most other builders

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The ones from exotic car gear are 130 bucks i think

10. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    That sounds like a very cool setup ! Do you have any pictures??

11. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I should finally get the major done next month and I will post some pix with it all out on the floor