Any reliable way to know if emails are opened? | FerrariChat

Any reliable way to know if emails are opened?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My dev team is telling me that the tracking tools are no longer reliable.
    SMTP/POP3 do not support a direct way to confirm it's read or open.

Do you guys know of any plug in or app to add that is reliable and not FOS (i tried a few chrome apps and the results were BS..).

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Only ones I know are SpyPig and IfRead. I've used spypig but only for a couple of emails. It's been a while and I've honestly no current knowledge of how reliable it is.
    All of the tracking I'm familiar with has worked by embedding an image in the email - could be 1x1 pixels - and hosting that image where you can track accesses. Obviously can be circumvented.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thanks i will try Spypig. The 1x1 pixel is what we used to do but not most mailboxes ask before opening an image so the numbers are no longer representative.

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm glad you posted on this topic - a few weeks ago I received a follow-up email from a marketing campaign that said "we notice you haven't opened our last email - are you still interested" or words to that effect. I had wanted to take a closer look to see what sort of tracking they were using but had forgotten all about it.