Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 395 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It is a Downdraft.

It is FLA12835 sold by Joe Sackey Classics LLC after it was first partially restored by Bobileff, more recently corrected & finished by Dugan, to its original Bianco with Rosso livery.

It is here in the USA where it has been since almost new, I have posted it's full history and many images of it over the last 2 years in this thread.

The image you have posted was taken by my wife near our home at a location we sometimes use, which is why it looks familiar. After Dugan's work, the car was sent to me to look over and drive for a few days prior to shipment to the car's owner - see images below.

Just curious, in the image you posted, why does the interior make you think its a Downdraft?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FLA12835 whilst it was here for a few days, this is the second Countach after the Mimran Downdraft that I have tested with the new Pirelli Cinturato P7s to similar positive reviews, I get to test a third one soon

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The engine cover is so powerful and iconic. Love it.

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Joe - please confirm what I’m pretty certain about - the front bumper mounted Carello lights are in fact passing flashers, not fog lights, correct? I believe they are only flashers and cannot be constantly illuminated.

7. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Oh! Of course.. i remember most the rear side view picture ( of her taking a pic).. it's the COLOR of the interior with the white that made me think it was a DD because i thought i had seen it before but couldnt remember where. I had no idea it was also the one in your garage. Its all coming together now LOL. This is one i would love to see someday.

8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I will add.. in some pictures the interior looks a bit orange..in others it looks red.. this i think lead me astray.

9. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    If i can chime in about the front carello lights, i would say as far as how MY car works and from what i have been told by Evans, these lights are intended to be passing flashers, BUT you will often see them wired to stay on.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Those side-vents adorned the Countach's engine cover from the1978 LP400S through LP500S to the 1986 Downdraft.

The Downdraft's engine cover in general has become one of the most iconic Countach bodywork features, it gives the car instant recognition for what it is.

I confess, sometimes I just stand there and look at it.

The Carello (later Hella) driving lamps are indeed meant to be passing flashes per original specification, but some people rewire them to be used as fog-lights.

It's red, the lighting in images can cause the hue to vary, that said the factory did at least one Downdraft interior in actual orange (arancio), a car also posted multiple times in this thread

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9861 joe sackey, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    rambointhegarage and Boomhauer like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    S_AGATA likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thinking about your post, personally I think the Downdraft's engine cover will become a more iconic Countach feature than the LP400 'periscope' roof for a number of reasons.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo, Lemacc, BRAVO-V8 and 2 others like this.
  16. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    #9866 Lemacc, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  17. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  18. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    No, this is not GLA12997. This photo was made at Frankfurt motor show (IAA) in 1985.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

Correct, receiving an engine-out service at the Sant Agata factory before Raymond owned it.

Nice find as usual Leo!

That's the 1985 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show car as LC3929 says, my notes say "Rosso Speciale, cream with red piping" as evidenced, 1 of @ 3 in this livery, I can't tell you the chassis number though.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Great photo!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #9872 raymondQV, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Photo taken by Bruno (bb4635) in summer 1986, all known historical images are collected here: http://www.countach.ch/ownerships.html

As can be seen the mirrors were originally black and painted when the owners in the 90-2000 over-painted here in the color Chianti perlcolor (VW Corrado paint).
    Why they overpainted is not clear, but seems there was a slight damage at the left rear fender.
    We detected the double color in 2007 when a Murci roadster hit here in St-Moritz at the huge reunion: http://www.countach.ch/fenderfix.html

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9873 joe sackey, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    I have a brand new pair of Vitaloni door mirrors unpainted in black plastic ready to install, but they won't be installed as the color-coded units look so much better. Perhaps one day if Pebble Beach creates an 80s Supercars Class and I get to show it, I may swap them out for the show, although technically, color-coded mirrors are not a points deduction at a Concours event as they are correct-for-period for the variant, as seen on other cars.

Sitting in HLA12045, my wife & I recall the lady from Zurich in the Murci Roadster getting ready to hit your car after the lunch break, in fact, my wife predicted it would happen and 5 seconds later it did!

Thank you for getting rid of the aerial! I am not fond of aerials on a sleek Countach body, that said, it can also be quickly reinstalled, although I'm not likely to ever do that

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    NürScud, Spyder-Man and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  25. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Boomhauer likes this.