mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 63 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    C7 manual 7 speed box may be the worst part of the car IMO. Now that they have the new Auto 8 paddle shift manual orders had dropped way off. Part of it is that dealers don't order them with manuals anymore and few people special order them or get factory delivery. I did, and that's how I was able to get a manual. Looking for a manual with the features I wanted was impossible.

Not all manual gearboxes are alike.

2. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Interesting read, although, the red flag to me is the Cadillac designed luxury version being a Corvette. Several years ago, a gm insider told me point blank the only way for the mid engine corvette to exist is for Cadillac to have its own variation. Granted, this was a few years back, but believe it fell during the planning stages. Maybe it was decided the EV version would be more suited brand/pricing/sales wise to be a Cadillac.

JM2, correct me if I'm wrong, but from a manufacturing perspective, would it not be only a very small dollar amount to truly make an interior on par with Porsche, Audi, etc? Maybe an additional $1,000 per unit or a little more? Even if more, it seems to me the incremental amount could be added to sales price of car and the margin would remain the same, when speaking of a 70 or 75K vehicle. Would people not be very surprised if they knew what GM/Ford could do w/ a car with an additional 2k per unit? Could be wrong, but I once new the cost difference between building a BMW 3 series and 7 series, and that's all I'll say about that.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You are spot on. The incremental cost associated with producing a world class interior isn’t that great depending your point of reference. Is 2-3 K too much? I personally don’t think so, but the planning, sales, mfg people might argue that it’s too expensive, and the average customer isn’t willing to pay. B. Lutz used to say it was better to spend 1K upgrading the interior than to put 2K on the hood as incentives. That concept was often lost on the decision makers. The irony here is that my friends that own a Corvette really don’t care, and believe their interiors are just fine.

k wright and anunakki like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Right on! Most Vette owners signed up for the Speed Utility Version. If the Caddy rumor indeed turns out to be true, the Caddy Team will be the ones working on the cushy interior and titanium cup holders.

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    jm2 likes this.
  6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The Caddy rumor - if true - shows GM hasn’t learned their lesson.

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Wow. The other site is in meltdown over the "supposed" name. They all want Zora. How many non corvette people do they think they will attract with that name? At least this one has a connection to Stingray which the young crowd now knows about. Who cares what the name is as long as it is good and looks cool. Can't be any worse than Aztecka or whatever it was called.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Someone on the Vette forum claims the name will be Manta Ray.

"The C8 Corvettes at Nürburgring are the real thing - the 2020 Corvette Manta Ray. This base Corvette will be powered by an updated LT1 V8 with about 520hp and 485 lb-ft torque. A DCT transaxle is used in all C8 Corvettes, no exceptions. The R&D investment in the DCT is said to be equivalent to that of both the manual and automatic in the C7 - they knew they had one chance to get the DCT right. The interior will be somewhat higher quality than the C7, and GM’s stylists have attempted a more “upscale” design. I have not seen it but those who have say it’s impressive, but still not at Porsche or Ferrari levels, which seems fair given the price."

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    It doesn't take much over there to start a dumpster fire. Most threads require too much reading to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's hard to imagine anyone outside of the Marvel Universe greenlighting Manta Ray.

TheMayor and rdefabri like this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah I thought that would be one of the strangest names ever. I still don't believe its "Zora" either.

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Video of the C8R testing - still camo, but you get a real good look at the headlights / front fascia (1:20) and the taillights.

Looks pretty awesome except for the side scoop. Sounds to me like a V6??

13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I would be surprised if it's a V6 but you never know.
    It sure doesn't sound like a small block Chevy, however. Maybe the "Blackwing" Caddy V8TT?

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Sadly, the "other" site is now being dominated by 5 "in the know" guys who do nothing but talk about how FOS the other 4 guys are. And then hijack the thread

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Another thing that's interesting is how early this car has shown up. The C7R didn't appear until right before the C7 started production (Summer 2013) and didn't race until 2014 (C6R raced the entire 2013 season). I thought the C7R would soldier on for the 2019 IMSA season, now I'm not so sure.
    It's notable that GM has never put a Corvette racer in a series until homologation. BUT, after they (GM) didn't raise any hell with Ford (GT), Porsche (the mid-engine RSR), and BMW (the V8 Z4), I guess they figure why not.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The other variants besides the 1st 'base' car are also complete.
    All the versions won't be introduced at the same time, not unlike Ferrari does with their cars.

17. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Please let us know the value you see in this pic and the topic at hand?

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Eric R likes this.
  19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Yep and reside in trailer parks. Just trying to read between the lines I guess.

20. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    The interior surfaces were generously fortified with nourishing emollients

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ah... well then I didn't see that.

But when I see a beat up Vette (or modified Vette) you start to understand the difference between Ferrari owners and Vette owners. Vette owners love to modify them. Ferrari owners don't like to touch them.

I can see already people wondering how they can mod a C8.

22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    They will probably start with that side scoop!

TheMayor likes this.