Is Oahu a terrible place to own a sports car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Oahu a terrible place to own a sports car?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Golden Steed, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This guy is begging to kill someone. Totally irresponsible.

2. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Driving in tantulus like that will kill someone. There was an ironman cycling that is now paralyzed because of this and the driver is just now going to trial. Do not do not do not drive on tantulus like this.

3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Yeah, this thing ain't Mulholland. It's not a highway with guard rails. This looks like a narrow residential road where someone could just pull out at any time. But with all the foliage I didn't really notice the first time around. There are a few other vids of people doing speed runs up Tanalus. One guy is in a Challenger, which is a HUGE car.

So the answer, at least with regard to this road, is that it can be done but probably shouldn't. Seems there are no easy answers. The Hawaii Question is destined to be a complicated one...

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That guy got reamed by other people locally for driving like that. He's a tech guy and had his M6 custom ordered. I don't know if he still has the car, but the license was CODER.

Golden Steed likes this.
  5. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    This would explain why the comments were disabled... o_O

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The licence should be *****

7. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    That A Hole starts off driving like that in front of people’s homes! His next YouTube video will be of him crashing and hopefully Not running over a kid while doing it. Irresponsible Idiot

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's a bummer that we don't have a lot of good pavement routes. That vid was 9 minutes, and that's one of the longer routes! You could drive a half an hour or so to the next "fun road" but then it's later in the day when you get there so more hikers, bikers and tourists in your way when you do. ughh

9. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    And to be honest, I'm probably just as bad as this guy they're complaining about, just in a different way. I'm a stoplight junkie. Acceleration is way more fun to me than racing around a track. I love burning tires and dusting off Japanese fart boxes. I'm not a drifter or a track guy. Old school street level drag racing. and from what I can tell, there's PLENTY of places to do this on the Leeward side of Oahu.

Yeah. If I do end up in Hawaii, I'm gonna make plenty of enemies on this board. And I know how to miss the cops, so I'm likely to get away with it for some time. Sorry in advance, fellas.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #35 spicedriver, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    The twisties are more fun.

13 Turns

Snake Road

Norfolk

11. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have never been on this where I didnt end up behind someone just cruising along at 25...sometimes a stoner...other times a very old person just making their way

I like this road but I never get it where I can "enjoy" it thoroughly. Almost nowhere to pass safely either so once you end up behind a slow car it's over.

Out of all the ones here I have enjoyed this road to myself the most often but there are only a couple places with good visibility so I am pretty cautious in there since it's all residential. You never know what a soccer Mom might do if they are in a hurry or Little Johnny needs to get to the hospital.

Superbikes are really the best way to squeeze out every drop of fun out of what we have because they go 0-60 in 2 seconds so you can always grab a handful of adrenaline and get back down to "safety" but I am getting older and more cautious.

12. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Nice vids.

I definitely feel like there's been quite a bit of alarmism on both sides in this thread. There's got to be some middle ground between "it sucks, you can never go fast" and "you're a dangerous menace who must be stopped." Both positions I think are the extremes, and I'm seeing more and more where the grey area might be.

In any event, I'll have my boots on the ground in a few months to see for myself. I'll probably Turo something fast (there's a convertible C7 available) so I can get a handle on it for myself.

13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I visited during R&R while in the military - loved the place but it's probably changed in the last 50 years - LOL

14. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Can we start an over/under on your post visit findings?

There just isn't anywhere on the island where you aren't bumper to bumper. A few of these videos are almost 10 years old, and the island is wildly different now. North shore, you're lucky to break 20. Everywhere else short of H1, H3, you will find yourself at someone's driveway, crosswalk; where as the mainland has lots of space for thoroughfares. We have very little buildable land between the mountains and the ocean. Maybe Tuesdays at 2 pm from Nalo to Hawaii Kai you might get a clear space between the plethora of rent cars looking at the blowhole. (I'm kidding on the day)

All of the other islands have a better opportunity for driving. Big island has some amazing roads....

15. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have to be brutally honest here. Oahu is a horrible place to be doing any of these high speed type runs. The level of danger you put yourself in and far more importantly other people in is exponentially greater than places easily found on the mainland. I have done the 13 turn space featured above and the long country road that follows it. I did not go balls out on it because it was just not the place to do it. That stretch is on the windward side before you get to Kailua.

I have drove tantalis loop many times. I have only done it once as a "drive" and spiritedly. There are only a couple small spots where you can really get on it.

You just don't do this **** here. You just don't. It is stupid and selfish. It is a trade off for living here. It is difficult to fully understand until you live here but just don't do it, you aren't cool for "not giving a ****" and doing it your way.

Respect Hawaii and it will give back respect. Endanger people and their family and you will see something you can not imagine.

sampelligrino and nmcclure like this.
  16. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Redondo is looking better and better by the minute.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    IMO, if you're on a bike and not packing anyone, you're only putting yourself in danger. There have been a few deaths on Snake Road, so everyone should be careful on that one. The red neck question I get a lot is "where are you going to drive a Ferrari on Oahu". The answer is "wherever you would drive any other car". I could go out and bust 100 right now, and be back in 5 minutes. There's a couple of spots where I've hit 200 (believe it or not). Only got busted once. Lost my license, and had to go to drivers school at night. Which wasn't bad, because there were a lot of hot speeder chicks there too ! To be honest, just about everyone speeds on Oahu.

The real danger is Farrington Highway in Waianae if you're a pedestrian. This is where MOST DEATHS happen when pedestrians (usually elderly people), try and cross the road. Crosswalk or not, they get run over by a speeding truck that usually doesn't even stop to help. I guess everyone on that side missed the test question about whether pedestrians have the right of way.

Most shooting deaths are from the cops shooting unarmed civilians. Maybe these were bad people, or just people in a bad way. Or stupid kids who thought it was cool to steal a car because of some movie they saw. Or maybe the cops in Hawaii are just evil, and know they can get away with it.

18. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Doesn’t want a speeding ticket.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Watch out for our crappy roads. Hit a pothole on Kapiolani on Friday and blew out another runflat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Sorry to hear that. But the real question is: how fast were you going?

Jakuzzi and nmcclure like this.
  21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    30 mph with nowhere to go as I was boxed in. I know the pothole was filled in before, so I thought the difference in color was the new patch. Nope. The potholes were all filled in on Saturday.

23. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
  24. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Heck Yeah! ...well for driving anyway. Palos Verdes is nice to tool around. Used to love hitting the end of the 110 pretty hard and over the Vincent Thomas to the terminal area and explore. Gotta watch those industrial areas though. One time I rode by some chemical processing area in the early morning and rode through some caustic cloud that peeled the coating on my motorcycle helmet face shield!

25. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Imagine if you weren't wearing a helmet!