Official Magnum P.I. thread... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Official Magnum P.I. thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Ahh, Seaside and Kuhio!

2. burgerman

burgerman Rookie

Feb 8, 2007
    Pebble Beach,Ca
    Full Name:
    Landon Hofman
    We were staying at the Four Seasons at Ko Olina and they were filming Magnum. They actually invited my wife and I to be behind the scenes and watch while they were filming. During one of the breaks, Jay Hernandez, the new Magnum joined us and visited. We also took pictures. He was so nice and we discussed Ferrari’s. He told us about his Aston Martin. Everybody that was connected with the show were very nice and accommodating. We stayed with everyone for well over an hour.

3. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    The show much like our beloved Ferraris is not perfect, but it is entertaining fluff. The car scenes and Hawaii location make it worth watching even if it was terrible.

I'm 360 Canuck, G. Pepper and greg328 like this.
  4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think the show is improving weekly. I’d like more back-story involving Rick and TC. And Higgins too!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Papou
    Any more shots you can legally share? I miss them
    Never been to Hawaii but the show is making us think about it!

6. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    OK, I am liking this show more and more, it is always a fun watch. The characters are starting to be developed more and I am looking forward to seeing a TC-centric episode. Even my wife is starting to like it (which is saying a lot)... although she claims it is because of the beautiful backdrops.

However - I have a bone to pick... The technical director needs a slaparound for his miscues relating to the 488, especially in the last episode.

The scene where Magnum is chasing down the guy in the lifted Chevy pickup, he says something to the effect of 'I drive Robin's Ferrari because it can do 0-100 mph in 2.9 seconds'. Um, no it doesn't. 0-100 kph, for sure, but they don't use the metric system in Hawaii. Say the actual 0-100 mph time or don't reference the performance figures at all.

Also for two episodes in a row (including the last episode), there is a cut scene where Magnum pulls on the 'UP' paddle to go faster. The 'UP' paddle isn't used to make the speedometer go 'UP'.

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Good catch! I just watched it, I remember the scene, but my mind must have assumed he said 0 - 60 mph.

Also, I would not put my car parallel to any other car, nonetheless a lifted pickup, and assume the driver would stop. Was pretty dramatic though.

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like Higgins because she can kick ass, and is a proper English lady at the same time!

EnzoItaly likes this.
  9. f308gtsi

f308gtsi Rookie

Dec 23, 2007
    United States
    Anyone watch the episode right after the Patriot/Chiefs game? I thought it was much improved and felt tighter and more cohesive as a show. Maybe it was the plot twists and more action.

There still are some weaknesses though. I think the Magnum should have shown more fear when he was being transported to an unknown location and I still think the original TC's ornery character and Rick's cynicism would be a great foil to Magum's good guy persona. Anyone who flies and maintains his own choppers should be able to easily assemble a grill. And Rick still doesn't come across as a suave business man that spends is time in elite circles.

At least with the first Magnum, there was always a cost for Magnum's personal requests and the characters let you know it. With this new Magnum, those ethical and personal boundaries are crossed like it's another sunny day in Hawaii. I could go on but in the end, I still had a lot of fun watching the premiere to the winter season and look forward to more Magnum. And more Ferraris.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I enjoyed it .. it always nice to have a actor portray a good person with heart and morals .. you don't get that much today

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RedNeck likes this.
  11. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Daniel,
    Thanks for posting the photos! Gives us something to look forward to.
    Especially for us in Michigan where we had 14 below (40 below wind chill)

13. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thank you, Daniel! A hui hou!

14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I didn't like the pilot episode. Decided to give it a few more chances, nothing else on Monday night. Its ok. It did get renewed for a second season, thought for sure it would get the axe. I still like the original better.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks for the pics. Later episodes are much better. The wife likes Higgins.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, I saw episode 1 on the airplane.

And, I don't get it. In the first 5 minutes they shoot up and run over his 488 spider and in the last 5 minutes he intentionally destroys his 308 (which is having a tough time outrunning on a mountain road a 4 ton TRUCK!)

Oh, and the "classic" 308 has wireless BT hands free phone. Pretty good for 1982! :)

Does this guy have an endless supply of F cars? I'm serious. I don't get all the car destruction. They treat Ferrari's like the guys wearing red shirts on Star Trek.

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Nothing better than original series.

18. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Honestly the show is a big popcorny but I really enjoy watching it. Beautiful places, people and cars! Where else can I see Ferrari's driving around on TV?

NbyNW likes this.
  19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    What I want to know, is what wax/paint treatment do they use to keep the gloss so perfectly clean and wet looking on the 488 in every scene?

20. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Probably ceramic

21. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Cold water and micro fiber cloth,and plenty of elbow grease.

Bob in Makiki and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  22. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Just saw the latest one (with Jordana Brewster of Fast & Furious fame): plot is getting pretty intense, I like it!

Good they are still showing the car. I wish though they'd stop mentioning how much it cost.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Revisiting this thread. As someone who doesn't really get into shows, I am really enjoying this show. We DVR every episode and usually watch Tuesday after work. Plots are good, it definitely tributes the original show, and I do like Higgins being more involved...just as long as it doesn't go beyond that. I also thought the Super Bowl Pizza Hut commercial was pretty good. Keep up the good work, looking for ward to more!

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    @papou Is Higgins's California ever going to make a reappearance? I must admit I haven't been avidly following but now that I have a Cali I'm trying to spot them where I can.

I saw one yesterday on the ABC show "Whiskey Cavalier". The agent's partner asks "When will it be my turn to drive the 'Rari?" And the agent says "When you learn to drive stick." (Maybe he had one of the two manual Calis.)

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #150 I'm 360 Canuck, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    I hope they tone down some of the subplots...too much of this cringey “I’m basically a glorified security guard of an empty mansion but I used to be a super-spy which resulted in the deaths of my former lovers, who were also super-spies, so I’m going to spend the next 10 minutes with irrelevant flashbacks and being emo about it”. And Higgins as Robin to Magnums Batman, tagging along on his jobs, feels contrived.

What made the original actors interesting was they weren’t just sweet and nice like this cast is, they had an edge. While old magnum was nice, you could tell he kind of hated bad people. TC could be downright ornery and irritable. Rick was hot tempered as well. Higgins wasnt just snide but domineering. They were all very 3 dimensional. The edge creates tension.

As such, my current favourite character is...the police detective. He captures the original spirit really well. He’s genuine...not buddies with magnum, or impressed or even sympathetic to him and thinks he’s sketchy and a pain in the ass, but if magnum has info, he’ll give him enough rope to hang himself.

NbyNW likes this.