1997 Kai Tak Cockpit video | FerrariChat

1997 Kai Tak Cockpit video

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Dec 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Back when I was an FO at Polar. 1997
    I remember this day like it was yesterday, but I can't remember what I ate last night...

bball16 and kylec like this.
  2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Watching that ignited my PTSD of doing approaches to Kunsan ROK just about every other night in the winter was pitch f’n black, snowing, bumpy, and 200 & 1/2...never felt more alone in my life flying the F-16 in that crap...I can’t even imagine what it’s like in a flying skyscraper!

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A "flying skycraper" flying BETWEEN skyscrapers! I'll bet that every approach to Kai Tak, even in perfect weather, was a bit of a nail-biter. In bad weather like that, it must have been almost terrifying.

All things considered, Kai Tak's safety record through the years was quite remarkable. Rather lucky, I would say.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've flown (as a passenger) into Kai Tak well over 100 times, the first being 1982. The last being one week before they closed it. In fact I flew out of the new airport on return. All on 747.

What is still amazing to me is they moved the entire airport OVERNIGHT . I was in Hong Kong as they did it. Hundreds of vehicles and equipment on the road that evening and then having operations up and running the next morning.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Reminds me a bit of when they switched in Sweden from driving on the left side of the road to the right. At noon one day, all traffic came to a halt, everyone carefully moved from one side of the road to the other (I wonder how that worked on divided highways) and resumed driving.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It helped that they did it (mostly) on Sunday afternoon, and that almost all vehicles were already left-hand drive.

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Nailbiter! Was that noise in the background the windshield wipers or some kind of alarm?

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As a pilot I would much rather fly this approach than pushing a few buttons and coupling the AP to the LOC/GS.

9. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Rain hitting the windshield, and yeah, the windshield wipers. They're loud.

10. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, I hear that. I almost never have the AP fly the approach.

11. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    F-16....damn. That must have been so cool.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you for the video. That looks pretty nerve wracking...

Can the wipers work at cruise speed? I never considered they would be used other than during taxiing. I figured any other time the speed is fast enough to clear the rain fast by itself. They looked to help more than I expected on approach.

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    It certainly was, but there were many, many hours that were so stressful I’d have preferred to be anywhere else. Even the greatest flights ever, I sometimes didn’t realize I was having fun til I stepped off the last rung of the ladder afterwards. I’m sure you understand. There was likely nothing fun about that approach.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Windshield wipers. I recall that we had pneumatic rain removal systems on some 707's that blew a very high speed sheet of air over the windshield. I don't recall what other airplanes may have had it.. Scary video, Lou.

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    A sexy, silky smooth, aerodynamic shape works really, really well in some applications...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LouB747 likes this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No windshield wipers on any late fighter. Would burn up or blow off at Mach 2.

BMW.SauberF1Team and killer58 like this.