Our 355 challenge wheels | FerrariChat

Our 355 challenge wheels

Discussion in '348/355' started by Exoticar Auto, Dec 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice looking wheels
    Are they exact looking from the outside

2. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto

Pretty darn close.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Compare the differences?

And are they available with the regular Speedline typeface instead of the Corse script version?

4. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    Made from billet aluminum and street legal unlike the magnesium race wheels that came on the 355. Im sure We could do the speedline stickers no problem.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think he went through this a while ago.

What were the offsets again??

6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    if these were made in 19" I bet they would sell like hot cakes.! despite the performance advantages of the original challenge wheels.. I simply could never appreciate the look of them on the car, where imo the oem wheels look much better/correct. the only time that I see the challenge wheels look correct is on an actual challenge car. but on a normal road going 355 where many owners leave their cars stock ride height with the big floating wheel gap up front.. the challenge wheels just don't work aesthetically.

but.! these made in 19" would be a different story..

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

One of the advantages of the Challenge wheels is their lightness. I had a set of HRE 3 piece wheels and they were heavy. You can definitely feel light wheels when driving and the ride and handling is different. These wheels look great but I bet they are on the heavy side.

Yassa and INTMD8 like this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I would never put 19" wheels on a 348. 18" all the way.

9. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    maybe for the 348. since oem is 17”

but the 355 with oem 18s can easily handle a 19 wheel.

bagged_F355 and Yassa like this.
  10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Both are the same cars basically, so either can “handle” a 19”, but I think at that point the wheels look too big for the size of the car. No thanks. 18” all the way.

Steve355F1 and Dave rocks like this.
  11. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice looking wheels.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am not sure how fast you drive on the street but based on my tracking experience I am not sure I would ever be able to notice this on the street.
    Track is a different story, but we should all remember that many people are putting 295 tires on the stock or challenge wheels which are not very light. In some cases this xtra weight of the tire will exceed the lightness offered by the magnesium wheels thus offsetting the real,benefit over a smaller lighter set of rubber.
    Just pointing out some facts I have seen on here over the years.

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

You will notice it on
    the street if you have 18 lb wheel vs a 23-24lb wheel. Yes tire weight makes a difference. My HRE wheels were 3 piece and heavy because of all,the bolt hardware. You could feel the difference over rough roads and turning. Ask the guys with GT350r with carbon fiber wheels vs a regular GT350 . They will tell you they can feel a difference.

14. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    Yes unsprung weight is very important. Our wheels are more of a show wheel for the guys who missed the opportunity to get a nice set of the challenge wheels. Most of which are magnesium and have been refurbished several times. I have been told magnesium has a shelf life especially after being baked in a powder coating oven several times.Our wheels are in the 22lb front and 24 lb rear range. However they are modern day materials that will not easily bend or crack. Great for car shows or enjoying on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Hammonds rider likes this.
  15. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    As mentioned above a 19" version would be really cool.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You, or the end user could always hog out some pockets from the back of the spokes and lighten them up quite a bit without sacrificing strength. They can also be balanced via this method. You would end up with a superior product to the OEM wheels.
    Yuuup 19s with hogged out pockets is pure seex

:)

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure who told you about Magnesium shelf life but if looked after properly my experience has shown no issues.
    My only bad experience with magnesium wheels is they are generally made quite light and they do not like pot holes.

Dave rocks likes this.
  18. sec16518

sec16518 Rookie

May 27, 2018
  19. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The standard wheels are magnesium too so would these be heavier than them?

And, as above, what is the pricing? They do look very nice.

20. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    We had to have them designed and ran in a small batch so they are 5k per set

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I inderstand that just wanted to share some facts. The original pirelli were under 23 lbs and many very popular tires guys are running in the 285 range are of the order of 27 pounds.
    So even a 4 pound heavier tire on the magnesium rim will be the same as a pirelli on the 4 pound heavier rim thats all.

I am all for the lighter is way better crowd but some are not all was comparing the same thing.

22. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Tires can be lightened by having half of the tread shaved off. That used to be popular before the tire manufacturers started making treaded tires dedicated for the track. The tire will also feel more responsive because the rubber isn't as thick and won't squirm around as much. And since most people replace their tires due to age, not wear, you're not really losing anything.

But don't think just about static weight. Larger outside diameter tires and especially larger diameter wheels move the mass (even if it's the same total mass) further out from the center of rotation which can greatly increase the angular momentum of the wheel and tire.

23. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    5k per set and we want them gone as we are going another direction in business.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Close, but not close enough. Nothing beats the original.

JohnsonsMedia likes this.