488 Replacement | Page 50 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The V6 ME car could be both. Performance along the lines of 570/600 AND be prices similar to 488.

nmcclure likes this.
  2. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    If this is what may be the 488 replacement, then I'll be very disappointed. Nothing new and creative here. Looks like the 458/488. The lines look the same. Or maybe they are testing new engine etc and the frame/body will be updated later.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Good luck to them for selling that...
    That could limit the production to support exclusivity though :)

crinoid likes this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Many here seem really limited on their vision. Ferrari know how to build a great car and play the sports car market better than anyone. They could make a V6 car that could perform right under the Pista and cost the same as 488 and be quicker. Take the 488 platform and shorten the wheelbase. That weight loss plus the weight loss of the V6 would help dramatically.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It may indeed only be a mule for the V6Hybrid drivetrain …..

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No the black cover car was 'big brother' as confirmed here earlier. We have not seen the semi 488 replacement or the total 488 replacement in any real form yet.

Shack likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Can you really tell what you are looking at? That vehicle could be covered in some weird shaped body panels and then further covered in that tarp. I would not judge it based on this!

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Agreed ….

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Obviously not as the car covered in black is the 'big brother' and not the replacement for the 488. It is not even the interim model designed to give Ferrari more time to ease smoothly ( ??? ) into the direct replacement model for the 488...

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's my take. I don't think we should be using the words "down market" or "up market".

My take is that there will be two mid engine cars;

Car #1 = "Big brother" with supercar performance and a cost well above 488 (my take is a new chassis and v8 turbo and some electric power. Power in the 800++HP range for sure).

Car #2 with 488 level performance at 488 prices (My takeaway is this car will be on a new platform with a turbo v6 and hybrid power, starting in ~2021)

Beyond that - in my mind the only open question and potentially confusing item - is if they are going to "update/face lift" the 488 soon and sell it in 2019 and 2020 while awaiting car #2?

[Some here have reported they are. It wouldn't surprise me, but I also wonder if those folks are hearing about car #1 and getting their wires crossed with the dealer. I don't know obviously, but time will tell if there is some life-extension of the 488 platform that is sold below the new "big brother" for some period of time until car #2 is available...obviously a "third version" of the 458/488 chassis would be a change from recent history of a two-model per chassis mid-engine car ala 360/430 and 458/488 - heck were the 308/328 and 348/355 also two models per chassis? If all were, then a third car on the same chassis as 458/488 would be unprecedented. Not a biggie, but interesting...]

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I see PISTA there

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1237 Shadowfax, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    There is nothing they can really use from the Pista without destroying the model so Pista will remain unique as the lightweight track focused car in the 488 range. I've been told that LB will not impact Pista as the flagship 488 track focused car and it will retain its value and, exclusivity accordingly.

LB car will most likely wear a mildly face-lifted front and perhaps a slight change to taillights, rear vent and slightly changed position of the tailpipes. The 488 silhouette will remain until BB.

The main differences will be to the standard interior seating and MI which may involve changing the dash layout from where it is. The V8 will have more HP but likely a few less than Pista and may have the new 8 speed gearbox. It won't have the s duct or other Pista Aero as that will conflict with Pista as the track focused model plus the S duct reduces the front storage space/practicality and LB is more the 488 road car version.

The big shape change will be in BB in 2020 with deliveries 2021.

stavura, mofatmi9, Robert P and 2 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I get the sense that Big Brother will be a bit more like a different model range even though it might share some mechanical bits. Based on the statement from the press days that it will offer super car level performance, I imagine it will have a lot of power. Based on the statements that prices will go up, I will imagine this will be priced accordingly. As I try to imagine it, I would imagine this "little brother" as being something that really doesn't infringe on the Pista as @Shadowfax mentions. And this big brother would be above the Pista in price and performance. The thing is any of these cars has massive performance. More than I could have ever dreamed of 20 years ago. So we are all really fortunate to be living in as time we have such cars and that some of us can seriously discuss owning these cars. They will no doubt be amazing. I am looking forward to seeing what comes!

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The way that BB is covered would seem to indicate they are farther along with the body design than a three years away development program would indicate. BB is actually a way to get the kinks worked out in the 488 replacement car program as Ferrari buy themselves an extra year of development time...

Shadowfax, mofatmi9 and F2003-GA like this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

Caeruleus11 and mofatmi9 like this.
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm thinking the same

LVP488, Shack, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's no way the covered car is 3 years away. There would be no reason whatsoever to build the body and risk the design being seen if you have 3 years of R&D to do still. They've never tested production bodied cars that far in advance in the past, so why would they do it now?

I bet that car will be revealed within 6 months, 12 months tops.

G. Pepper, Doug23, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  18. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    50 pages of posts and not one solid fact yet - lol -

4_Eff_Sake, Caeruleus11 and manya81 like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Probably right...but the current crop doesn’t inspire confidence. 812 and Porto are far from great, visually.

crinoid likes this.
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You're at Ferrari Chat were we speculate until official unveiling then the facts show up o_O

YellowMurci likes this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I know what you mean. PF design consultation is welcomed. I do think Flavio is growing and coming into his stride. The 812 has great bones but was kinda lost in the details. I think the rear of the Portofino is absolutely fantastic. I really have looked at it and I think if the headlight shaped were tweaked a bit it would look a lot better. Time will tell...

22. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    i reckon we will see this car at Geneva
    This is a 2019 car not a 2020

Doug23 and Shack like this.
  23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    There is a car coming in March according to what I’ve been told...

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The F/L 488 models? Coupe and Spider versions as the description was plural cars...

25. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    geneva motor show is a big stage for high-end car makers. Everyone will come with attantion-garbbing unveilings and for ferrari it would be a stupid idea if they only come up with facelifts.

Caeruleus11 likes this.