Any updates on when Rosso Portofino color will be fixed? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Any updates on when Rosso Portofino color will be fixed?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by VHlambo580, Nov 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Please post a pic of Rosso Mugello Portofino if possible! I’ve always felt it was a little too dark and being non metallic doesn’t highlight the PF’s curves... but would love to see a pic!

2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Haven’t seen one, but my dealer has a Lusso in RM. Inside the dealership it looks darker (although I actually like it). I had them drive it outside into the sunlight, and it’s much brighter in natural light. But of course it doesn’t have the sparkle of the metallic colors up close. If the choice is that or losing the entire 2019 driving season here in the Midwest, I’ll take the non-metallic. Otherwise I might as well wait until the spring of 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    tommygun64 and of2worlds like this.
  4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    For what it’s worth... I spoke to a Zurich based dealer today. He said production of Rosso Portofino cars pushed out three months, other colours currently being delivered. But he expected RP to come off production line starting early next week... fingers crossed!! If anyone else speaking to their dealer please ask.,. Would be good to get another few data points..!

tommygun64 likes this.
  5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Sorry I meant early next year (not next week... I wish!)

6. Steve Bear

Steve Bear Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Bear
    Any update on the Paint problem?

7. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’ve seen a few pics of RP cars coming through on this site, but no update from my London based dealer yet

Has anyone received a customer car in RP? Or had useful update from their dealer?

8. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Spoke to mine last week, he said they had shut down the line for a week to do test samples. They are supposed to get back to me with an update this week but haven’t heard anything yet. They’re stuck in the middle, of course, between the factory and their customers (they have more than a dozen with this problem since it affects all models).

tommygun64 likes this.
  9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Interesting, thanks. Your mention of other models suggests it’s not just Rosso Portofino that’s affected but also other colours (other metallic colours? Non standard ones?)

Did they say exactly what the issue is?

I would have expected a lot more of Ferrari - they have had years to correct this issue ahead of Portofino production. Also, communication from them continues to be lousy.

10. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I’m told it’s affecting all special paints and is the result of them switching paint suppliers. In fairness, if they haven’t got the problem sorted, there’s not much they can say...

11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The issue appears to be directly related to the new low temp bake paint and special multi layers. Standard paints appear to be unaffected. According to what I read once the process is perfected you should be getting a better, and more durable finish then what has been delivered previously. Given the paint they are currently using is relatively new and a complely new process for Ferrari it’s understandable that growing pains will be encountered though not so easy to endure to the customer that placed down payment and spaced a car and was given a delivery date and not much else other then the cars are delayed.

tommygun64 likes this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Az...Do you have a link or links?
    T

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    No I don’t unfortunately, I also read an article about the paint process in a magazine recently while I was in the doctors office with my wife but I can’t for the life of me remember what magazine it was.

And in general discussions with friends the subject came up and while none of them have any contacts with Ferrari, a couple of them own body shops and are familiar with the low bake paint process and stated multi layer low bake paint ( PPG I believe) isn’t super easy since the paint process is quite different. Apparently there will be a push to convert to this process since among many other reasons low bake temps cause a lower impact to the environment thru lower power consumption. Basically these guys know way more about paint then I really care about. But they did say finish is quite nice and looks much better on vehicles that have multiple construction component types such as steel and aluminum ( which today is becoming quite common) and other various materials such as carbon fiber and plastics.

tommygun64 and of2worlds like this.
  14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Btw i think any repairs to this paint are going to be a nightmare... but that’s a problem for another day!

15. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I wondered about that, too, and asked my dealer, who said that it shouldn't be a problem once they get it sorted. Of course, they ARE a dealer, so they would say that...

16. Jay Pierce

Jay Pierce Rookie

Oct 28, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jay Pierce
    VHlambo 580 is this your new Portofino in Rosso Portofino?

17. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Hi Jay - No, this was just a RM color at my dealer. Mine is Stage 30 expected now in Feb. I had the RP color which would not be built for months due to paint issues. I switched my color to RM and it hit the production line right away.

18. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I am struggling with this decision, too, hoping to get more information next week. Here are two pictures of a RM that came into my dealer, that I posted on the other thread. Indoors or without sun, it looks darker, but outside in the sunshine it looks very close to Rosso Corsa.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Mlcor - I am at the same dealer, LFSC. They are fantastic. Tyler is my salesperson who is just excellent. When I saw the RM color in person I knew it was a good choice, so I decided not to wait and go for the change. It is for sure a tough choice, but I just don’t have patience as I want to drive! I am very excited.

drgek, XDINO and mlcor like this.
  20. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Well, I’m going to wait a bit longer; frankly I don’t want to take delivery before March at the earliest, since I don’t plan to drive it when there’s snow/ice/salt on the roads.

21. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Well, got an email from my dealer today—Ferrari is still not saying when the problems will be fixed, and the dealer is recommending I switch to a standard color if I want the car by spring. I’m going to confirm with them tomorrow that this is true for all metallic colors, not just RP, and if so, I’m going to switch to Rosso Mugello like VHlambo580.

John Salvador likes this.
  22. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Rosso Mugello is a beautiful color, and it does not have the issues Rosso Portofino has.

23. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Will be interested to know what your dealer says if the problem is with all metallics or just RP. Thank you.

24. Steve Bear

Steve Bear Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Bear
    It is crazy to me how Ferrari has no idea how to fix the problem and the dealers have no idea what is going on.