Trying to contact the owners of Daytona #s... | FerrariChat

Trying to contact the owners of Daytona #s...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gcalex, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    14045 and/or 14805 and/or 14229

If anyone knows how (or better yet, if one of them is on FerrariChat), please drop me a private message.

Thanks in advance!

2. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thought I would try a "bump" of this message, to see if maybe someone new might see it.

Thanks!

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I think you would have more success if you said WHY you want to contact the owners of these cars.
    They are in various parts of the world.

Marcel Massini

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Marcel,

Fair enough... :)

I'm basically wondering if any of them are for sale.

I looked at each of them many years back, and (at the time) seriously considered the purchase of each (though all actually got bought by other parties).

Now that I find myself back in the market for a Daytona, I'm trying to see if any of these same cars might be available now; of all the cars I looked at, these are the three that somehow I had a "soft spot in my heart" for...

Had not realized that some of them had gone out of the USA.

I would probably not be interested in dealing with importing a car, but I suppose it would be depend on the asking price...

Thanks!
    Alex

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Some of these are Daytona Spider Conversions, CUT cars.

Marcel Massini

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #6 gcalex, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Yes, I know that 14805 is a chop top.

Compared to the other two cars, it had a lot of problems when I saw it, but it seemed like a nice project. I'm looking for something that I would not hesitate to drive with reasonably high frequency, so not being able to qualify for showing, or Classiche does not really matter to me.

Cheers,
    Alex

7. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Amusingly, I owned 14045 back in the early 1980's.
    It was originally a faded burgundy with the silver nose panel, but we painted it black.
    It also had its proper leather MOMO wheel when we had it.
    I see it's now just another red Daytona. .

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14045 was originally Rosso Cordoba 106-R-7.
    It no-saled at Bonhams Scottsdale/AZ January 2015.

Marcel Massini

9. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yeah, when I saw it, it was already in a pseudo-Rosso-Corsa (I noted it as “color a little off” at the time), and I thought the wood wheel seemed a little odd (albeit pleasant looking). Did the car have wire wheels when you had it?

Also, I’m curious as to whether there was already a Ziebart treatment applied to the car when you had it, or whether that was done at the repaint.

I actually really liked 14045. I found the Ziebart holes sort of charming, Also, I knew about thei color change, but found it funny that the dealer (who clearly also did) insisted on describing it as “came from the factory in red, and is still red today” (or something like that). They also described it as “restored,” when it still had a lot of issues. Still it drove pretty well, and (unlike a “Platinum” car I looked at) the synchros were all still good; though the transaxle was leaking pretty badly... :)

All-in-all a decent “driver” that had some good-humor aspect to it; exactly the sort of car that I am a sucker for...

— Alex

10. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Marcel... thanks for informing us of 14045's proper color name. I think we got that car from a dealer in Nyack, New York for $18k back then. Sold it for $52k in 1983.

Alex...Yes, the car had wire wheels when we had it. The Ziebart treatment was done before we got it, probably to try to cover-up the rust commonly found in Daytonas. We had the bottom halves of the doors replaced and a few other rust spots repaired when we changed it to black, but nothing close to today's serious restorations. To be "correct" again, someone will have to source a Vox 8-track tape/radio that was original to that car. HA!

11. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Zarathustra,

Many thanks for the insight on 14045. Particularly the bit about the right radio for it. I wonder whether a Vox would be easier, or harder, to find than a set of emissions equipment (missing when I saw the car)? :)

Like I said, I found the car's problems sort of charming, and if it is in the same state today (the limited info available from the last time it went-up for auction does not seem to indicate that anything has really been done to it in the intervening 8-or-so years), it would be fun car to slowly bring-back...

Hopefully, someone else will provide a line on the car's current whereabouts.

Cheers (and thanks again),
    Alex