488 Replacement | Page 51 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Welcome to the world of Fchat!
    I wouldn't say not one solid fact as fer9000 has been found to be factual and, the dealer info coming through all sounds consistent.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1252 Shadowfax, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    But they are coming with new models this time. Also, it is unreasonable to expect that every single year at Geneva means an entirely new car/platform.....except with Maclaren maybe.....i.e different body, same engine more boost..

babgh likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I thought the "consensus" was now that Geneva will see the BB (hybrid, new platform, hypercar performance) as a new flagship model with simultaneous introduction of F/L 488 in the wait for the hybrid V6 new platform true 488 replacement the following year...

Doug23 likes this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Design wise , sort of mix between J50 and sp 38 ?

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    We've seen so many changes from recent history and from what seemed immutable traditions. Two different engines for the same model (GTC4), FUV, all-wheel drive, etc

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1256 Shadowfax, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    No not consensus on that, although I'm sure the competition would love the full heads up on 2020 BB and its performance credentials that early but I couldn't imagine Ferrari showing it when they already have 4 new cars to reveal inc the LB. They also haven't even got LB into the market yet.

Maybe the car under the black tarp is LB. It looks to me like a 488 body disguised under there. The front has way too much overhang in front of the front axle indicating they have fixed something up under the tarp to help throw the speculators off the scent, plus the side scoop looks in the same position as 488.

7. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thank you. And that's the so called "Big Brother", right? Can't wait to see it next year..incredible times ahead!

of2worlds likes this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes 'big brother' under the black cover and on the new mid-engine platform that is supposed to eventually trickle down to the replacement for the 488 series.
    However big brother appears later in the year; NOT at Geneva.

Caeruleus11 and F140C like this.
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Does appear to be along those lines

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    so are you saying:

Geneva = 488 "life-extension (aka face-lift, aka "why in the hell are they doing this - unless solely to bridge a gap until they can get the new platform BB and LB ready?)

Late 2019 = BB launch

2020 = LB launch

If "yes", then this is what I've gotten out of all of this...I do wish that folks that believe something different would reply in terms of these 3 mid-engine cars so we can begin to at least speak the same language when attempting to reach a consensus on what and when...

babgh, mofatmi9, Foxmod and 3 others like this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I am not confident about LB coming in 2020. I think that leaves too much of a gap in the Ferrari line-up vs something like the 720S. I believe there should be a V8TT similar to the standard 488 motor introduced first in the new (new) aluminum platform after BB makes a splash with a much higher price tag and unique body design. To expect the V6 model to replace the level of the 488 GTB / Spider series is too big (or perhaps I should say small) a jump compared to where the competition is arriving in the market place. Does Ferrari really intend to be known as the purveyor of V6 exotic cars?

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Also the LB - V6 version will be very price sensitive as who really wants to buy a V6 when there will be ample 488 V8TT coupe and spider models to choose from with low mileage and a comparable price tag. The new aluminum platform may be good for the Ferrari bottom line but how much difference will the buyer really notice?

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To me the only way for Ferrari is to introduce the V6 with significantly more performance than the 488 at similar price tag.
    The 488 owners will argue against it just like the 458 owners argue against the 488 turbo, but in the same way the market will acknowledge the newer version has better performance _ 488 sales were not really effected by 458 NA fanatics.
    Vocal 458 owners against the turbo did not actually negatively impact the 488 market perception, and potential vocal V8 488 owners would not impact either a V6 replacement if it had better performance.
    Përsonnally I would not care going to a V6, the V12 is something special but the V8 is not as much. I switched from a V12 to a V8 for some reasons, and once this step as been made V8 or V6 does not really matter.
    Mind it, in the future I may add an old V12 to supplement whatever modern mid-engine will be.

stavura, Caeruleus11, Zombies and 4 others like this.
  14. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Seeing as they may have to debut this somewhere nearer in time to the unveiling of a 720LT varient, I'd expect this to be a big pivot from the 488.
    Also, I wouldn't imagine that the V6 would land first in this segment of Ferrari's line. You may see a V6 Portofino though...

kandi and of2worlds like this.
  15. mofatmi9

mofatmi9 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Fatmi
    But before the 720LT, they have to do with the countless MSO editions and what not :D

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's like the turbo that hardly anyone could imagine in our cars …. the V6 will come ….

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I’m at or near the top of my dealers list for little bro and big bro as everyone is calling them but I’m not real excited about a V6. I know Ferrari needs to hit a home run with their bread and butter model so fingers crossed. They haven’t disappointed me in my 20 years of ownership so I think we’ll all be happy in March.

18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Big brother and little brother will have both a V8TT .

19. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Hope so

of2worlds likes this.
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    It could be. So McLaren looks like a heavy tuner of Ricardo's engine and that's a cheap factory and marketing trick to make it seemingly so fast bespite "only 720PS" as mclaren states on paper. Ferrari is a brand, McLaren is a (bit of) marketing trick.
    I'm looking forward to unveiling the 488's replacement. I think that mclaren is preparing model 775S with 900HP to compete. ;)

babgh likes this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Why wouldn’t McLaren want to publish its actual horsepower? Headline numbers are meaningful to many potential clients. And if they are indeed understating it, how is it a marketing trick worthy of criticism?

23. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Simple - lie about your actual power and let people believe the car is superior. You eventually run out of boost so the game ends at some point

babgh and Shadowfax like this.
  24. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    But if the car has more power than advertised, isn’t it a bonus for the purchaser? Who is it hurting aside from the competition?

Future performance gains in supercars will mainly come from hybridization and weight reduction, and to some degree aero. Higher boost pressures won’t be the main area of focus.

I’m not defending McLaren - I love cars and appreciate the effort made by all brands to push the technology envelope. Competition is a good thing.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Totally agree with you and Mac (and the latest Lambo's) are the best thing that has happened to Ferrari. In addition having owned all brands (M, L, P and F) I am happy we are getting the best from each. However sometimes various "fanboys" like to use performance (0-100kmh) as the main benchmark and I am just stating Mac tend to under quote their HP to win in the stats race etc.

Shadowfax and kandi like this.