308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased | Page 5 | FerrariChat

308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased

Discussion in '308/328' started by lm2504me, Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    Looks great. ! Keep the updates coming.

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Latest update:
    While adjusting fuel mixture with airbox on, I continued to hear a clacking noise in the rear bank. I heard it earlier, but the sound got louder.
    Using my stethoscope, I isolated to the Smog pump. The part number is of a later 1990 series. Records show it was replaced in the 90's. Also, the records show the air pump belt was reinstalled in 2016 prior to being in a Mecum auction in Monterey 2016. So, it ran for some time without a belt on it.
    I took off the pump and turned by hand. I can hear and feel a noticeable loud clacking sound. It is the culprit.
    I found the correct vintage smog pump on Ebay. It has been rebuilt for 108.00. It should arrive this coming week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I did run the Ferrari with smog pump off and there was no clanking sound. I also verified check valves working by not feeling any exhaust out the air hose. I felt a slight pulsating suction. All good to me.

5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I just received a photo from the son of the first owner of my Ferrari. This photo would be in 1980. Note the green and white lines. These were added on by the dealer and removed by the second owner when he purchased it in 1984. Note the "FERR ME" blue plates.
    Sadly, the first owner was killed during a robbery attempt one year after selling the Ferrari in 1984.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Goldline Brakes in Washington did an excellent job in rebuilding the brakes. They work great with no issues! The price was also great. They received them, rebuilt them, and sent them back in a short time period.
    The rear brake adjusters were easy to operate on the pistons.

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Received rebuilt Smog Pump number 7817872 which is correct vintage Smog Pump for a 78 Ferrari 308 for 108.00 with free shipping eBay.
    Spun it by hand and it sounds good. I just hear the scraping of the vanes. I was missing the hose clamp 10169090 which goes on the hose for the Smog Pump.
    I called and emailed all over. Kudos to AllFerrariParts for spending time searching the bins for a clamp. They provided me with the correct clamp in excellent condition, like new. The originals are no longer available.
    Started the 308 and the Smog Pump can be barely heard. No loud clicking sound.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well that completes all my mechanical / electrical work on my 308 prior to FCA judging. Everything works great. It runs great and is tight / firm. Now time to clean it up for unofficial judging by my friends (Ferrari concours judges) and then prep for Concorso Italiano FCA judging. I will keep this thread updated as new things happen.
    Photo at local cafe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Looking good!

10. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    beng, bromo and thorn like this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My dear guests... Welcome to Fantasy Island.

12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  13. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Cirorsi, miketuason and Rosey like this.
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!!!

(It was great meeting you yesterday and talkin' thermocouples.)

16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks, enjoyed the discussion also. Do not hesitate to contact me for any discussion.

17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    miketuason and Rosey like this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Love this thread...

I was always leery of the cam driven pumps, fearing one would seize and stop the cam, I suppose in truth the belt would burn.

Still, in Texas they are gone, long gone!
    Good job restoring your system.

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Did some mods today, all reversible.
    1. Covered holes in Duct to AC registers for more airflow to occupants via black duct tape.
    2. Extended steering wheel with 25mm spacer for more knee room. Works great.
    3. Removed dash guage panel and connected both dash light dimmer leads together. Now I can see the gauges at night.
    4. Installed wiring harness from Octane lighting for headlights and it includes the relays. Purchased from Ebay. I had to lengthen ground leads from light connectors by a foot to get the connector to the headlight. It works great and no more high current through the column stalk.

20. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #121 lm2504me, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Drove to Cambria and heard some noise from the passenger side radiator fan. When I got home, I removed the grill, front bumper and both fans.
    I took apart the driver side fan and then the passenger side fan. In the past someone sprayed dry lubricant into the rear of the passenger fan to lubricate it. It is the motor with the dark colored coil wire. It was a mistake. You need to use specific oil (Zoom turbine oil - $4 at Ace Hardware store) for electric motors on the upper and lower bushings and not grease.
    Cleaned the bushing areas, brushes are good, lubed the bushings, and re-assembled the motors. Tested the motors with fan blades installed and both sound great.
    Original fans based on date codes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2628713 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

21. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Very interesting. Thank you for posting this.

Those original fans always look so obsolete to my eye. Many 308s struggle with cooling when depending on those fans to push air through the radiator while idling, such as sitting in traffic, yet do just fine when air is being rammed through the radiator when the car is in motion. This says to me that the fans are inadequate. I always wonder if modern high-efficiency Spal fans would solve the idling problem.

22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have owned 4 other 308s in my past and had issues with coolant temps and having to bleed the air out of the system. For the first time, I performed a vacuum fill on my recently purchased 308 and used Shell Rotella ELC.
    Driven over 700 miles and coolant temperature at 175, even at idle in traffic. No bleeding needed and coolant level in expansion tank when cold is the same since my service. I also live in Central Coast California. : ).
    Also newer Lucas fan motors can be purchased.

23. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #124 lm2504me, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Performing distributor mod to use R2 points to fire the fwd bank coil per this link. I like the single advance curve concept.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-points-dual-distributor-modification.125813/
    Using my Sun tester to make static settings and ensure rotor to terminal relationship.
    I tried an aluminum plate, but it warped too easily while modifying it. I used a steel plate to prevent it from warping while being worked on. It is critical to ensure the thickness of the plate will allow for the point adjustment retaining screw to clear. I also ground the screw end from pointed to flat.
    I used 5x.8 tap and screws where needed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

24. Sobergreg

Sobergreg Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2016
    Congratulations, I just feel bad that you never were able to enjoy the car or cars over , the period of your life , , your life will end in the car will stay beautiful and preserved in the end the car enjoyed it only knew more than you owning it it’s kind of sad but a lot of guys do preserve them in the register Presciently it must have something to do with trying to hold onto an extra $50– $80,000 at the end of your life that seem only thing that would make sense to some people please don’t take this wrong I do understand it I just don’t agree with it so I don’t know what I’m really wishing you I guess I’m wishing you and congratulating you on a lifetime of taking care of a car that’s already been taken care of for two lifetimes before you ? I’m saying this with a? And constructively so I’d appreciate if no one Comes back and attacks my opinion that’s all it is and everyone that retorts that’s also their opinion., these models will need to be driven not worthiped