Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 67 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    There are some myths around working on these cars, so just wanted to write a short post about it.

1. You can get the headers out with the engine in the car. On the right side you need to remove the starter to free up enough space. From what I can see left side should be possible as well, though you might have to remove the steering rack.

2. It's probably the easiest to remove the engine without the gearbox. If you take off the starter bracket, you have good access to the bolts on the flex plate. You need a lift for this though, it's a hassle doing this lying under the car. You don't need to move the gearbox a lot to get it off, maybe 2 inches. The engine and gearbox is a long unit, so is a hassle. We removed both though, since we are changing some seals on the gearbox as well.

From what I can see I have to change two liners, heard a lot on how involving this is, will have to see if this is something we can do ourselves or not.
    Engine is currently on an engine lift, where we can turn it all directions to asses the situation properly.

Thestash and MrMark like this.
  2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi CharlieA….

How about posting some pictures on this thread as you progress!

Mike

3. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Good idea! Here are some!

Everything is beeing stripped, blasted, painted or zinc treated.
    We try to get the right treatment on the right places.
    If it's originally painted, we paint it.
    If it's zinc gold, we zinc treat it.
    Changing bearings, gaskets and so forth.
    Distributor, carbs, starter, gearbox is checked and refurbished.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Jarle…

Welcome to this thread !!! Please keep the photos coming, and I promise I will try and do the same!
    Mine is 1982 model, what year is yours? I believe you are also active on the Biturbo Zentrum, correct?
    I have read many, if not all, of your posts on that forum!

Mike

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Here are some photos of my QPIII's brake master and Engine Compartment Fuse Box showing the wiring!
    The brake master looks very very similar to that of my 1972 Ghibli SS - may actually be identical! The wiring
    for the engine compartment fuse box looks pretty good - may just need to clean the box up good and check
    any and all grounds involved! o_O

Mike

Attached Files:

CharlieA likes this.
  6. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Correct, same Jarle! I think about 5 people in the world with that name combination :)
    1982 4900 Automatica!

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello again Jarle…

Since yours is a 1982 like mine, I would recommend you get the 1982 Parts Supplement, if you don't already
    have a copy... Ivan should have it on his site, as I loaned a copy of it to him to put on his site (carnut.com)…

Mike

CharlieA likes this.
  8. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
  9. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Project continues. Gotten a lot of parts back from Chrome treatment, but need at least one more visit to that shop.
    Started to putting some of the refurbished parts back together. Changing bearings, painting, cleaning up everything.
    Heatshield refurbished with new asbestos on it. My mechanic friend has everything in his storage :)

Here are some photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MrMark likes this.
  10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Jarle…

I just got back from a cruise and am looking at your pictures!! Everything is looking great !!! I especially liked the Carlsberg glass by the alternator...
    (you want to make sure you don't get dehydrated while working on these items ! :) )… Keep up the good work, and I will try and begin posting pictures
    and progress (although slow) soon!

Also, where was the heatshield located? I don't think this was on my car, but my memory may be faulty!

Mike

11. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Heatshield is around the starter, to protect it from the headers.
    I think the wiring might melt unless it's there. In the long run though.

Beers & mechanic work belong together :) Hydration is the secret, agree!!

Currently putting the carbs together, they look smashing. Will post pictures closer to the weekend!
    Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your work!

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    I am also working on my carbs.. Attached are some pictures (before and in-progress)…

I cleaned my carbs in an ultra-sonic cleaner. The results can be seen in the second picture
    where one carb went through the process, while the other 3 did not (at least when the picture
    was taken)… The cleaner did a good job, except for one thing. I did not disassemble the
    butterfly mechanisms, as I was afraid after so many years the shafts would be slightly
    warped. The butterflies did rotate easily before processing in the cleaner. Afterwards
    they were very difficult. I greased the shaft bearings located on the outside of the carb
    body, but this did not help a lot. I did note a lot of carbon buildup on the shafts where
    they pass through the carb body. I began cleaning this up, and the butterflies are rotating
    a bit more freely. Much work still required!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

CharlieA and MrMark like this.
  13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    I thought I would also send a couple of pictures of other fuel system parts..
    Attached are two photos of the fuel pump setup on my car. The first is of the
    main and emergency pump (both are the same make/model pump) attached
    to their bracket as removed from the car. The second shows the main fuel
    pump(s) and related components after some cleanup!

Mike

CharlieA likes this.
  14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    And finally, a couple of pictures of the intake manifold and fuel tank! The fuel tank has been
    boiled out and is now ready to go back into the car! I will send more pictures of the intake and
    the surrounding carb box in a day or two, as these have been cleaned up as well!

Mike

CharlieA and MrMark like this.
  15. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

16. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    Liners might fall out if you leave in a heated spray shop booth to let the block get hot. I have a complete engine internals but only 4 liners 8 pistons & everything else. 4.9 qp3. John.

17. CharlieA

CharlieA Karting

Nov 4, 2013
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jarle Adolfsen
    Thanks for the tip. If we need some parts we will get in touch!

18. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi I left the thread for a long long time - got tired of being ripped off by unscrupulous parties. Anyway, I cant really recall the exact issue as my weakest understanding is around electrical issues. I will keep reading to see how you made out..... Let me know. I am taking my 1981 now with no motor or ZF and will be putting a beautiful high power unit in it. I am leaning to the retro style unit. Will start a new thread........

19. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Hi The Ohlins were good if you can get them to make you one. The MIE ones made the car too high IMO. I am going to look at a different system as I saw some options on a restoration show recently - coil over air ride customs - I will do some research.....

F456M likes this.
  20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Looks great, Mike!

Very nice work.

21. wizard1969

wizard1969 Rookie

May 19, 2014
    I have my fuel tank out too. Is it a service that "boils" the tank? Forgive me but I am not sure what it means to boil the tank. Also my fuel level sending unit from the tank is corroded and junk now. MIE does not have one in stock. Anyone know of a replacement ?

Regards,
    Adam

22. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Adam...

You raise a good question, and I am not sure if I truly know. But, I believe it is where they immerse the entire tank in either boiling water with special chemicals,
    or immerse it entirely in a tank of chemicals. The ultimate goal is to remove any rust and other gunk buildup that has occurred over the years.

Mike

23. wizard1969

wizard1969 Rookie

May 19, 2014
    After doing a little investigating I think it is similar to a radiator boil, in fact, I read a post on a 4x4 truck forum about boiling a fuel tank at a radiator shop. There are kits for cleaning and sealing the tank and that is the route my mechanic is going. If anyone has a fuel level sending unit or knows of an equivalent replacement part, please let me know!

24. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    See pages 45-46 of this thread. Another forum member modified a Fiat sending unit to work in his QPIII.

25. theMASERATIbeast

Apr 7, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Howdy, former reader here but finally ready to post. I have a Quattroporte III that is finally being handed over to me. Car has been in the family for years. As of late, it has sat dormant for at least 4 years (was said to have been started and ran before that), and hasn’t been on public roads for decades probably. Has spent years in an underground garage. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can, but I’ll preference it by saying the car is no time capsule, unfortunately. Paint has seen better days, and interior has some loose/missing things, but it’s all there. Introductions out of the way, my question is what steps should I take before trying to start this car again, anything special? Obviously fluids and checking condition of ignition components, etc. However this is the first carbureted car I will be dealing with (I have an ‘89 BMW 535i that I drive daily, to put things in perspective), and don’t want to screw anything up. Hoping to have a smooth introduction into the big Maserati club.

MK1044 and CharlieA like this.