Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    #351 daytona355, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    I think what we tend to forget with our annoyance at Seb this season is that Ferrari see in him the true champion driver he was at Red Bull, but recognise that to draw that performance out of him, and to achieve a championship, the car also needs to be right, and the team itself has to perform at 110%, just like Mercedes have been achieving since 2014.

Sebastian looked good at the start of 2018, and no one was picking fault in him while our car took the fight to Mercedes while they themselves were in their own set up issues and struggling with tyres. However, as they got on top of their issues, and the FIA took away a few of our toys, our car took a step backwards, and then it was race management that began to show their limitations and lack of creativity as Mercedes became stronger, and ferrari became ever less able to bring it. Seb tried to take it upon himself (as any champion might do) to make up for the performance lost and the lack of strategy decisions the team was able to make, but he failed, sometimes with spectacular consequences. Our design team went the completely wrong way with the evolution of the car, making it slower and less useful, eventually having to admit such a stupid and massive failure, ending the season regaining some of the performance lost, it of course in F1, more than one or two bad races at such a crucial time is all that is necessary to destroy a championship challenge.

I am a big fan of Charles, I like what we have seen so far in F1 and in the lower formulae, but he is still a raw talent. Of course, he may pull out of the garage in March and destroy not only Vettel, but every other driver out there, but it’s unlikely, or he may take a while to acclimatise and to round off the sharp edges before he gets the less easy podiums and wins that are the mark of a good driver and potential champion. We shall have to see.

In the meantime, I doubt Seb is worrying too much about Charles yet, he will be concerned to clear his head of the disappointments of this year, remind himself of the good decisions and strategies he made, and purge the bad ones and learn from them. He will start the season in the number one Ferrari drivers position, and I for one will be supporting him to lead the team, and if we have a car to challenge, I believe he is capable of doing so. I look forward to watching Charles grow as a driver and at some stage reaching a level to challenge our number one, and as long as he does it without damage nor loss, then beat Seb if he can. If he can’t do it without damaging Ferrsri, I hope he has the cool head I think he has and knows well enough to roll in behind Seb and protect him against opposing teams hard, fair and very very wide!

I do find it a little strange that some people who happily agreed with the Elton/Rosberg dynamic of Mercedes favoring Elton (as an unofficial ‘team leader’) and forcing nico to move over, and then the same with Bottas, are mandating that Ferrari allow Charles to blow past Seb (the ‘team leader’) and give him a major challenge from inside the team at the expense possibly of a title challenge. I would like to think that Charles major rule will be ‘stay out of Sebs way if you are ever in the same piece of track’ rather than ‘you are free to challenge him’ until such time as they have the confidence that he could beat Seb consistently enough, rather than simply at one track or another, or on a particular day. No doubt Charles will proves the real deal, and will soon be empowered to do so, but at this stage, we should be hoping he is restrained from damaging a title challenge whilst he is still a ‘learner/novice’ within the works team.

Forza Ferrari

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think Vettel has alot on his mind. There is a distinct change in the team. They, via the Management are publicly stating he made the most mistakes and cost the team the most points. They removed Kimi. They promoted a driver who got more out of a weak car than the team mate he faced and did so consistently ala FA. He had no say in Charles as choice. He has said he was not in the 'best place' during the season. So clearly to me he has been thinking about the team/changes and himself alot. I say thats positive. He should reflect on the last 2 years and move to positive state on what he should change and be ready to challenge in March....

sammysaber and daytona355 like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    This is what I saw with this whole Charles Leclerc thing.

Once SM passed away, God rest his soul, I believe Camilleri was going to keep things as they were baring his new role as Ferrari CEO. Keep things "stable" within the F1 drivers. Camilleri had no deadline on Kimi. Both have a long standing relationship. Vettel, Kimi and probably Maurizio thought nothing was going to change for 2019.

When I saw pics of Elkann at Monza (I think it was Monza) at Alfa-Sauber camp confirming Leclerc or establishing a seat with Ferrari, that's when I realized that Elkann was making sure to carry out Sergio's wishes and put in Charles for 2019; hence Kimi going to Alfa-Sauber.

Camilleri did'nt come out and say Leclerc was to be Vettels team-mate. It was Elkann who physically "put his name on Leclerc" with the public appearance in the F1 paddock. It was quite telling to see an Agnelli magnate, who's been "low key" in the F1 world to make such a bold and public appearance on this young driver.

Again, this is my observation with all the internal politics going on in Ferrari during the loss of Marchionne.

4. DF1

There may have been legal obligation with the contract for Charles. I know that was something stated in the press. Could the agreement stand a challenge etc. We know very little of the saga.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    375+, F2003-GA, stavura and 2 others like this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricciardo at Ferrari at some point--soon I hope.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  10. DF1

He has confidence and is in a team that should contend for victory. I hope he is making statements about winning. 2 races is not that outrageous. Bottas was a race winner first season at Mercedes.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's always better to surprise people than to disappoint them.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Do you think anyone actually sets their heart on what is said to the press on a cold December afternoon? I think it’s great he is showing the self belief that he can win, whether he does is up to ferrari providing the car that is capable, probably a couple retirements or bad days from Seb, and plenty of luck.... if he achieves it, good luck to him. I think those with experience are seeing this as Pre-match banter, and will pay no heed until the racing begins

13. DF1

+1 he should have confidence. The luck will need to be around a touch and its early in the off season. We will know as the season makes progress. We will have a new season and Im ready to see it start now lol :)

daytona355 likes this.
  14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Can't wait for the Aussie GP to see how all this plays out :)

william, DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #366 william, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2018

Like ol' Jack Brabham used to say, "When the flags drops, the ******** stops"

Races being started with a flag in those days.

DF1, F2003-GA and Nortonious like this.
  16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    What a shock! Doesn't he live just a few kilometers from Italy (Ventimiglia)?

17. DF1

LOL :) - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140739/leclerc-wont-be-as-accommodating-as-raikkonen

Leclerc won't be as 'accommodating' to Vettel in F1 as Raikkonen was

Charles Leclerc will not be as "accommodating" towards Sebastian Vettel as Kimi Raikkonen was at Ferrari, reckons Formula 1's sporting chief Ross Brawn.

Leclerc, F1's star rookie of 2018, will replace Raikkonen alongside Vettel next season and has been tipped to fight for the title in his first year with the famous Italian team.

Brawn, who was a vital part of Ferrari's success with Michael Schumacher in his spell at the team from 1997 to 2006, believes Vettel will get a sterner challenge from his new team-mate.

"I don't imagine Charles Leclerc is going to be quite as accommodating as Kimi was on occasions," said Brawn in an interview on F1's official website.

"Kimi is his own man, don't get me wrong, but I think Kimi knew what the lay of the land was in the team."

Four-time world champion Vettel has already said he does not expect "anything wrong on-track" with Leclerc next season.

However, Vettel will be under pressure to lead the team and remain its main championship contender after a 2018 season in which his own mistakes helped extend Ferrari's long run without a title.

Brawn said Vettel's campaign was "mixed" but insisted improvements are needed from both sides to best the all-conquering Mercedes/Lewis Hamilton combination over a full season.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Interesting arrangement... The official partner of the Ferrari Academy is Tony Kart, not Birel ART. However, Nicolas Todt is a shareholder of Birel ART since the merger of ART Gran Prix KART with legendary brand Birel.

PS: Stroll was there too.

20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Because Rosberg dropped a bombshell and retired unexpectedly, leaving Mercedes needing a replacement immediately, with Bottas the most experienced and consistent Mercedes contracted driver available at the time.

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Take it for what it's worth. Christian Danner's take on the Vettel-Leclerc partnership for 2019.

"Vettel knows exactly who he's dealing with. And he also knows about the politics at Ferrari. Afterall Leclerc is a Ferrari man! The whole political behavior with Nicolas Todt as manager and everything."

"Sebastian is warned. And to be honest, at a certain point, that's a make-or-break story for Sebastian."

"It will be one of the most exciting things in the next season. How can Vettel as a 4-time world champion and who wants that Ferrari title at all costs, defend against the guy who is simply an exceptional talent."

"On the other hand, Leclerc will also feel a headwind that he has not known before. He will also notice that the air gets thin up there. Vettel was and is still an exceptional talent. And the atmosphere in Ferrari is not as casual as it was in Sauber."

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I tend to agree. Vettel would do well not to underestimate his new teammate, who as noted, comes with a ton of internal Ferrari backing and support.

By the same token, LeClerc would do well not to underestimate the huge step he is taking in terms of pressure and expectation. Moving from F2 into F1 was a huge step, he made mistakes, but he learned. Moving from Sauber to Ferrari is as big a step or perhaps even bigger.

(Plus, he has a sometimes ruthless and often petulant, frustrated former champion as his team mate there to ‘help’ him. If LeClerc comes out of the box strong early on, look for plenty of head games from Vettel.)

24. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Now Vettel will have two people in his head- Leclerc and Hamilton. I don't put any more stock in what I'm seeing here than what is said on a cold December afternoon. Time will tell. But I would not bet on Vettel.