Best car hire in Italy? | FerrariChat

Best car hire in Italy?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moretti, Jan 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Going to the factory in April-May and then doing a tour of the tourist sights for a couple of weeks ....

Recommendations for car hire (non-Ferrari) , hotels and must sees (non-Ferrari or car stuff)

Possible itinerary is Rome-Modena-Venice-Como-Cinque Terra-Florence-Pisa-Rome (I know I know, major tourist sights but need to do it )

2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    When in Modena, go here.

https://www.osteriafrancescana.it

You might be lucky and get a table. No 1 restaurant in the world as per the Michelin guide. They are booked out 3 months in advance, and only release reservations one month at a time. I’m actually going to try to get a reservation at around that time , so whom knows, the stars may align

Richard Day likes this.
  3. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll go there if you're paying :)

Or we could just say we're with Gary

greg246 likes this.
  4. gav360

gav360 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gav 360
    For Christmas my wife bought us flight tickets and a couple entry tickets to Ferrari museum for later this year. So sweet of her!

So now I’m also keen to know about car hire in Italy. I’ve been there a couple of times, once on a high performance motorbike (in my youth) and another time more recently in a mid to top end hertz car , but I’m thinking it would real nice to cruise around in a decent high performance car. Is it ridiculously expensive to hire a Ferrari for a few days? I imagine it is.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    FO I'm a tight arse......Chianti and pizza with me....:)

6. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Are you staying with your Grandfather?

I still haven’t forgiven you for telling me Moretti Beer was your Grandfather’s company.

Of course, honest me believed you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Did you know the word gullible isn’t in the dictionary?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Gee I'm glad I asked you guys for some help :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

POUBs

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I’ve hired cars there a couple of times.
    First time drove from Venice to Naples over a few days, second time when I did the factory tour we drove around for a few days then dropped it off in Milan at the start of the GP.
    Both times I recall getting a pretty good deal.

I’ll see what I can find re who we used, but might be a bit difficult while I’m here in the US for the next few weeks.

Surely Gary would have the answer! :)

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks mate ..... you're back on the invited list for the F111 flying in SA

Enjoy the US dude...... avoid the bullets

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    So... air in the tyres, charged battery, no torch? Oh, and no luggage.:p

12. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    JM we did the Italy drive last summer....We booked a hire car months in advance but it never turned up. We never got a refund either and couldn't do a charge back on the CC as the time had elapsed with the advance booking.....Jules just went to Hertz at the airport there after the first one went pear shaped.....It was easy and cheaper to do it on the spot....The months you are going won't be a problem....July August are the busiest.....Speak to WRX Mike about being carful driving through some of the old towns...You need special permits and I think he has copped some fines in the past....:)

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm going to use Tours by Locals web site. It looks like you could customize anything, perhaps even just a car service. Check it out , it has been useful in my planning.

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I have booked many times in Italy via www.rentalcars.com

Never had a problem, usually get a Fiat Punto, gutless but easy to park.

Avoid leaving a car parked outside with your luggage or anything of value in it. The rental car pick up area at major airports is also risky for petty thieves.

Think about getting a train from Rome Airport to Bologna or Perugia, then driving from there. Roads everywhere are very busy, it's not the glamorous driving experience that TopGear would have you believe...

15. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I will agree with Ian, use trains as much as possible, driving a car over there is expensive. When I went to Italy in September last year I drove from Florence to Maranello and back in a rental Fiat 500x diesel, paid close to EUR40 in tolls and another EUR20+ for fuel alone. Get Trainline EU app on your phone, you can buy train tickets within the app and show them to ticket inspectors on the screen.

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Also make sure you use Amex to pay for car hires, they will go to bat for you in any disputes (which are not uncommon regarding fines, previous damage etc etc). Arrange pick ups / returns etc from airport or outer suburb locations to avoid the city centres.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Gary, I was planning on using Hertz from the airport ....

18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks everyone, I had a mate get in a minor accident at the airport when he was leaving and had monumental grief getting on the plane in time and then had to fight the issue from Oz ..... don't want that

19. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    I called for a reservation, and no luck. I called again and said I was in Modena leaving tomorrow, and an hour later I had a table. They have a lot of no show from foreign visitors, so worth trying when you get there.

greg246 likes this.
  20. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    And if you hire a car, take lots of photos before you leave , and get any damage doesn't matter how small marked off on the form. Otherwise, they are complete sheisters. when you return it.

kerrari and Maranello550 like this.
  21. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes. That’s the mob I used. No problems.

And as above, take lots of pics when you pick up the car.

22. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016

Are you returning the car from where you will rent it, or a one way rental?

I used Europcar, they had the best rates, google is your friend!

Buy fuel before going on the autostrada [if you are going to use autostrada] as fuel is miles more expensive on the autostrada, same if you are hungry, resturants are miles better and cheaper near the autostrada exits/entry. Autostrada is expensive but the other roads are crowded, slow, bad condition etc. so you dont really have much choice.

You need to buy fuel with cash/notes, @ self service in towns, and note fuel stations Italy shuts @ lunch time :) no change given so you have to guess before you slot in the money, they do give you a credit voucher though if you over-paid

On the autostrada you can go as fast as you want, [speed cameras are called "Tutor" and "Vigilis" they are on the overhead gantry so slow down for that and then speed up again ], got the little honda jazz up to 185kmh, not bad for a 1.3L, be that as it may you are going to alarmed at how close they tailgate at these speeds, a little insane with a big trust factor.

Don't be alarmed if you get stopped by the carabiniere, just give them your passport and drivers lics., speak in English they will get bored, giggle, try and figure out why you have a Italian name with Aussie passport, and send you on the way

Parking is free in the white coloured parking spots, pay with blue coloured lines [refer the signs]

Pisa is a really hot spot for ratting into rental cars and stealing luggage, so if you get a hatchback, leave the back cover off and glovebox open [and empty] they will do somebody else vehicle

I drove to all the CinqueTerra towns, [but one] it is a very narrow and challenging drive, not recommended drive, so its why i did it, going there by train is better.

Another thing is in the "Centro" center of old towns, they have "ZTL" zone with cameras only locals can enter with cars, or you will be booked and fined, they have parking lots [cheap, unlike here] outside the ZTL zones

So get a burner credit card use it just for the rental car an cancel it when you leave, lets see them charge a cancelled credit card :)

See you there, ciao!

23. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Those Tutor cameras are average speed ones, and stretch for miles. So be careful if you are belting it between two posts.

24. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    http://www.vittoriale.it/ Visit this place on the western shores of Lake Garda, beautiful and fascinating, read up on Gabriele d'Annunzio before you visit, so that you get the full impact. We also stayed a few days in Mantova, hometown of Tazio Nuvolari, his little museum is worth a visit but the place itself is a magic UNESCO heritage place sufficiently off the tourist trail but only an hour North of Modena. We stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Gonzaga in the medieval centre, not expensive, but really an old Palazzo.
    Lots of radar and they are merciless, €59 for 97 in a 90. Lots of cameras in areas where you shouldn't be in town centres as well, we got lost once, and realising it did a U-turn but the camera got us, another €59. Not like the Italy I remember, they have discovered camera revenue !!

25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Andrew, being a Nuvolari fan I'll be stopping in :)

I NEVER speed so I'll be fine :p