Updated classified section rules - effective 1/1/2019 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Updated classified section rules - effective 1/1/2019

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by ylshih, Jan 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    “Never tell anyone no, just tell them how much”

My $.02

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    jdubbya has said it for me...I really think you have just killed the hobbyist side of the site, truthfully.
    As you yourself said.

So, rather than "trouble" to share any of the art trove with long known co-members, it pretty much forces us into the other markets, and truthfully if I wanted to be there, I would not be here.

The only answer I see that would help me, would be to back off of the 20 ad/year per ROSSA membership, and give me a sliding scale for seniority!!
    Or I am taking all these posters to the OLd Folks Home!

Or simply allow a Storefront thread if NOT a confirmed commercial user ($15M a year huh??) :D :D :D

Now get off my yard you punks!!!
    :D :D :D

Martin308GTB, mathewr and 19633500GT like this.
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    OMG, these rules were stupid when they were changed last year (making people do storefronts, separating commercial vs not)....and now they are stupid again.

I saw previous storefront threads (which were open prior to Jan 1) be closed by Yin with a little curt statement saying “closed see rules Jan 1”

My god. Stop frickin’ messing with it and let people post stuff for sale and let buyers buy it. Holy crap.

Just dumb.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #29 ylshih, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    So we've been aware of the gap for the hobbyist as I was candid about, but excluding the hobbyists was not intentional or corporate cold-heartedness on the part of the site, it was a discussion that needed to be worked out as to how to help that category of advertiser and some of the thoughtful input presented here helped that discussion get more substantive.

We're going to create 2 "sale corner" threads, one would be a Models Sale Corner and the other would be a Literature & Posters Sale Corner. Subscribed users, who are not acting as a business or for profit, will be able to post as many sub-$100 items as they want within those threads. Greater than $100 items would still require a separate ad, but there should be far fewer of those to list.

I also wanted to clarify something that has become apparent wasn't clear, items in a lot at a lot price would be eligible for a single ad. A car is a collection of parts at a lot price ;). This should help some of the "parting out" situations. As Jdubbya mentioned, he actually sold off most of his parts as a lot to a single buyer. I think most hobbyists would be happy to do as few transactions as possible and just get the stuff out of their garage as compared to someone acting more like a business that wants to get the most they can from every part. First post edited with this clarification.

sparetireless and SAFE4NOW like this.
  5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    P.S. If you like the car and feel an urge to do something, then I suggest you simply "Like" the first post in the ad.

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    A vast amount of "scale model cars" sell for much more than $100. each. That is a very low figure. Most anything under $100 are either mass market toys, or very cheap models. The low price limit eliminates a HUGE portion of the scale models market. I don't think there should be any price limit imposed on "models for sale." That kind of defeats the purpose. I have a 1:12th scale Ferrari Dino 246GT model (from my collection), which I was considering listing for sale here ($475.) , but now it does not qualify for this section with that new price limit. Why even bother with a "Models For Sale Corner" if there is going to be a required low price limit? That's my two cents worth.

BOKE likes this.
  8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    For models greater than $100 you may post as individual ads and use up your ad credits. The term "sale corner" implies low value or price.

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Ok got it. Thanks for quick reply.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Just a note - if the software does note automate these rules, the mods are going to have a ton of work on their hands. Also, users may violate just by mistake unless they search their own threads and count their adds prior to posing a new one.

BOKE likes this.
  11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #37 ylshih, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    The software has never automated the moderation of these or older rules. :(

No wonder we mods are sometimes short-tempered. :rolleyes:

The new rules *are* designed to facilitate automation. Someday. :cool:

BOKE and Dave rocks like this.
  12. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I think that the elimination of conversations on the car ads is going to limit their effectiveness. Part of the charm of a site like BAT is that there is an ongoing conversation about the car. Car guys getting together, kicking tires, talking about the old Camaro they once had, etc. That's fun and it brings in buyers and sellers. I put up a couple of stories about my car for sale on these ads and I think people enjoyed reading them and maybe it added interest to my car. After all, this site is called Ferrari Chat. What is the point if we can't chat about the cars for sale. You will have reduced this section to a bunch of want ads, not unlike putting the car in the front yard with a For Sale sign in the window. People will just drive by. With the new commenting rules, there is no value added to having an ad on this site, there are plenty of other venues. This site is populated by knowledgable enthusiasts and the commentary on cars for sale is valuable to everyone. You have just removed the value of the advertising section on this site.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    You deleted my post in guygiwrie 75 Gt4 for sale thread because I posted good luck to him in 2019 with the sale. I’ve communicated with him for years as a fellow Gt4 owner. That’s a joke with this new rule. I’m pro Ferrari and pro Gt4 24/7.

bjwhite and colamclean like this.
  14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #40 ylshih, Jan 8, 2019
    You can just as easily "Like" the post, if you feel the urge to post "GLWS", and it cleans up the ads tremendously.

As far as restricting both positive and negative commentary/opinions, the reason is simple, the more chat-like the ad section is, the more negative posters feel encouraged to post "I think it's overpriced", "the market is heading down", "I've seen it for $40K less", "I hate that color", "I'd buy it if it had 20K miles less", etc as a counter to the positive comments. Every time you express an opinion, there's someone with a contrary opinion that will feel an urge to express that.

Further, maybe the negative opinion is actually right at that moment. If we only deleted negative opinions, then we'd be incorrectly biasing the market commentary to the upside when it was actually headed the other way. Better to be neutral about it and stick to facts relevant to the car.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I can easily say happy new year in 2019. like I did which is the same as glws. Or like. Whatever

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yin, I think this is a fair statement: People are not going to read the rules, they just don't. If they do, they are going to forget. You guys are going to spend hours upon hours deleting comments from the adds - look at the history, people have been making these comments forever.

Locking the thread is the only way I see this working. I know you want to allow certain comments like "That was once my car and the seller is not reporting that I drove it off a cliff and it was repainted". I understand and I get it. I just don't see how you guys will manage all of these threads.

A guitar forum I'm on allows the OP to lock, unlock to add new info, and lock again if they wish.

thecarreaper and BOKE like this.
  17. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    One additional thought about the commentary. I think the comments are a mechanism to validate and solidify cars and sellers that no other forum offers. When I put my car up for sale a number of people shared comments like how they remembered having a nice drive with me or how they know my car is a nice car. This is helpful information for someone who otherwise doesn't know one owner or car from any other. If someone has a good reputation and their car has a good reputation, that's important. Maybe you would consider this new and relevant information, but these rules appear to discourage that kind of posting.

I understand about the negativity and I think that got really tamped down a while ago. Maybe some was deserved, I don't know. I do agree that it would scare people off from advertising. But I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater here.

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    "Anyone posting on an ad must be 1) asking a legitimate and relevant question; or 2) providing accurate, first-hand information on that specific car, item, or seller."

19. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    What's really the harm with a GLWS or "I really like that color combo" or other simple positive comment? I don't see that leading to allowing negative comments and why would the seller just not report any negative comments they don't like? Again, I'm not really affected but like others have said you guys are gonna be busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest. Not only deleting all positive comments, but counting and enforcing how many ads people have or ads that list multiple items etc.

I really liked when the rule changed to storefronts. In fact I thought it was a GREAT idea. It very much helped alleviate the real problem of some of the worst abusers taking up the whole front page by just posting 50 items in individual ads. Especially in the parts ads.

absostone likes this.
  20. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I love this site. I hate the rules around classifieds--while I agree that some structure is necessary (and that sponsors absolutely need to be protected and get value for their money) it does feel somewhat draconian to me. And I have never posted anything for sale. I am close to posting one car, so I haven't personally been impacted by it, but it seems like one person ought to have the leeway to have one "group" of things approved to list. For example, parts related directly to a car that is sold/totaled etc. Or a "downsizing, and all of the Ferrari HotWheels models on this shelf need to go". I get that the moderation time needed to parse this would be intense, but as a long term member of this (and the previous FChat) I feel that this, in some ways, is just crapping on paid subscribers. But there is enough value here for me to totally get past that--just being honest about this.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Sorry man, more stupidity and arbitrary rules. Sub-$100? Why $100? Why not $10? Why not $1000?

I mean come on. This is silly.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #48 ylshih, Jan 8, 2019
    What's silly and stupid is you thinking everything is arbitrary. We may or may not explain the reasons, you may or may not agree with the reasons, but they exist and are usually a balance of numerous factors between usability, fairness, manageability, business, etc.

$100 was chosen in this case because an analysis of 10 years of collectible models and literature items offered for sale showed that 50-70% of items were under $100.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #49 bjwhite, Jan 8, 2019
    Yeah good luck with that. I think the majority of the people here have pointed out how silly these rules are. Many people have pointed out very valid scenarios, yet these scenarios may be against these new (and old actually) rules. Also, to lock threads that were started prior to Jan 1 is just wrong and heavy-handed.

Let people list. Let people (respectfully) comment. Let people buy. Simple as that. You guys keep mucking with it.

And great, you used data. So $100 wasn’t arbitrary. Woohoo. Doesn’t mean it’s not silly.

Anyway. Obviously you’re going to do whatever it is you want to do, our opinions be damned so.....by all means carry on mucking about.

24. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #50 ylshih, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Ad privileges are annual, based on the calendar year. Everyone's ad counter gets reset at the beginning of the year. It would not be fair to new advertisers to be limited to 5 or 20 items, while legacy advertisers got to continue to sell or add unlimited numbers of items to multi-item threads still open from prior years. This way everyone starts the year with exactly the same privileges.