Formula E is flacid | FerrariChat

Formula E is flacid

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Just watched what I believe is the first F E race of the 2019 season. Just awful. Instead of engine noises there were announcers yelling into their microphones to make up for the silence. The cars appear to have spec bodies...all look like Japanese Anime toys. I must assume the fenders are for aero to reduce drag on the feeble engines...only good for one hour. The rear fenders morph into some sort of wing...or something like that.

The halos light up when the drivers go into "attack mode" on their toaster motors. But they are only allowed to do this three times and only in certain areas or they risk a drive through penalty.

The drivers roster was a list of never wills and has beens. I was embarrassed when the winning driver tried to do a Hamilton imitation of excitement.

On the last lap the drivers are allowed to turn on "Fan Boost"...but I wasn't sure what that was.

Someone told me this year would be better because they don't have to change cars half way through the race. If a one hour race is what they call a "whole" race, I'm not impressed by the so called improved stamina fo the cars' batteries.

I guess this is the Ralph Nader version of auto racing..."Boring at any speed."

Finlander, kylec, fil and 6 others like this.
  2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    I like it
    So does nico

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    If the manufacturers have their say, it's not going away. It will be interesting to see how it evolves, but evolve it will.

4. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    #4 TeamF1Jr, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    I think when they can get the kilowatt power to match 800hp to 1000hp at the same weight of a current F1 car then maybe we'll have some competition. With the speed of technology who knows how long it will take to get there, it might be ready by the 3rd generation car. I think at the kilowatt energy they're producing now is equivalent to 335hp in the gen 2 car which can look awfully slow at times.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Rather you than me guys.... I can’t bring myself to watch it.... it’s like giving up. Even the name sounds boring, and any trailers I’ve ever seen make it look contrived, boring and slow

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, give them time.

There is one thing I like about FE: it's aero. No wings, covered wheels. I think Formula 1 needs to update its idea of what an open wheel car should be.

maulaf likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Laptop/phone companies have been trying to get more life out of their batteries for donkeys years now. If the tech for 3x as much power and long battery life was there they'd have implemented it long ago. It's fantasy pure and simple.

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Formula E is beyond depressing!.... There are plenty more extremely unpleasant things I would rather do .

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The most depressing part about this "motor sport" is that it is offering a career to has-been racing drivers. Don't they have any self respect?

daytona355 likes this.
  10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Add a Hydrogen fuel cell, and call it "Formula H". Quick refueling. 2 hour race - 24 hour race, no problem.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    bingo

jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I wouldn't go if it was free and held in my backyard.

randkin, tazz99, jgonzalesm6 and 3 others like this.
  13. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Comment of the month

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #14 BartonWorkman, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    And yet, the list of participating manufacturers in FE is like a wet dream for F1.

- Audi Sport
    - BMW AG
    - DS Automobiles
    - Jaguar Land Rover
    - Mahindra Racing
    - Mercedes-Benz
    - NextEV NIO
    - Nissan
    - Penske Autosport
    - Porsche AG
    - Venturi Automobiles

With Mercedes-Benz and Porsche throwing in with full factory efforts, the series is going
    to experience huge influx of money and the technology will explode.

Mercedes-Benz pulled out of DTM to concentrate on FE and is teaming up with Tesla. Porsche
    pulled out of WEC/Le Mans and as we well know, they don't involved with anything unless they've
    got a decided advantage in the rules.

It will start living up to the hype soon enough.

BHW

G. Pepper, tifoso2728 and william like this.
  15. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Boring, soulless vehicles = Formula E.

tifosi12, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    On the list, the only people I’d consider buying cars from are Land Rover and Porsche..... and in the case of Land Rover, I only buy the fastest and biggest engined one they sell, the supercharged V8, and Porsche, I’d only have a turbo or GT2/GT3. Nothing soulless for me thanks... Mercedes I only get for er indoors cos she only drives the baby around so it’s something expensive but boring, and if I bought her an electric car she’d cut my nuts off.... even she wants a proper car

Bas likes this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think F1 can do without most of these, and if Mercedes want to **** off to fE, good riddance, and take your drivers with you

Bas likes this.
  18. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    "Laptop/phone companies have been trying to get more life out of their batteries for donkeys years now. If the tech for 3x as much power and long battery life was there they'd have implemented it long ago. It's fantasy pure and simple."

People have been dreaming of going to the moon for donkeys years now. It's fantasy pure and simple. Some people have even speculated about landing on Mars - it's fantasy pure and simple.

Remember when you had to carry a bag to hold the batteries for your cellphone? Laptops now come with 24 hour battery life. I'm not saying I'm a fan of Formula E, but I do like technology and it will continue to evolve.

william likes this.
  19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, with the involvement of major manufacturers in Formula E, I think electric power and battery technologies are going to make huge progress.
    It's directly relevent to the car market of tomorrow, and the car makers have to catch up after almost a century of neglect.
    Already electric car sales are increasing in Europe ( a 1/3 cars sold in Norway is electric!) and with the coming ban of ICE powered vehicles in many cities, the electric car needs development.
    It may look not too attractive now, but FE offers a development tool to the car industry.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ... and it will cure your haemorrhoids too!

21. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    They're getting paid to drive racecars and getting global exposure...which is a luxury even amongst 'professional' racing drivers.
    The driver quality in Formula E is quite high - that's certainly not the problem with the series...

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Aside from the Indy 500, I find Indy racing just as boring. Spec cars, rolling starts, ex famous drivers and Honda and Chevy don't even make the engines. Throw in ovals where they go from 5th to 6th to 5th to 6th and then pit after 25 laps and you really bore me.

Seriously -- who really cares about the championship after the Indy 500 is won?

daytona355 likes this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    My 47 year old mechanical watch is amazing. The bracelet is 50 years old. The watch winds itself while I wear it, gets serviced every 5 to 7 years, and on the average it gains about 1.5 seconds a day (sometimes it loses a second)...a margin of error that has had no significant impact on my life. When new it was good to a water depth of 165 feet...now I'd only trust it to about 25 feet...but if I'm ever that far underwater I must be dead.

The only thing my smart phone does that my flip phone didn't is to replace the CD player in my car. The only thing my flip phone did that a pay phone didn't do was liberate me from keeping a couple of dimes in my pocket.

I'll be going to the Mille Miglia in May...I can't imagine electric cars ever offering anything as elegant or magical or stylish...nor do I think Styrofoam will ever match fine china.

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My manager at works keeps suggesting I watch it. It's on this weekend but so far I just can't bring myself to watch.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #25 Solid State, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    I think its the other way around. Investment labs make the batteries and the OEMs use what's available. No magic pure lithium anode or producible solid state battery waiting to pop out so no huge progress. Source materials issues as well. Using them is fine but making huge leaps because they are used defines the issues with the existing product but doesn't change the physics or the producability issues. Gradual changes over time sure but super boring to watch the current FE races. Turned it off after only 2 minutes. No sound and went slow on boring tracks with no F1 style crowds or excitement. No sound. Weird rules and restrictions. Wrong direction for Formula IMO.

daytona355 likes this.