What happens if LaFer battery goes flat? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What happens if LaFer battery goes flat?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by schein609, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    The car will start as long as the 12V battery has charge, as the HY-KERS battery does not power the vital systems. Leaving the LaF unplugged for a prolonged period time endangers the health of the HY-KERS battery.

2. schein609

schein609 Karting

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    mike
    Cool, what I was looking for.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    1. Open engine cover;

2. Apply money liberally;

3. If dealer cannot locate fix, repeat step 2.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Total noob guess here but what if the car will start but the batteries are being damaged (i.e charge less/less power)?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True.

Spoke to our engineers who designed our FIA Championship Winning KERS system. The chemistry of the Hi KERS is different than Tesla's batteries for example. They meet Ferrari's hi expectations for size and output and if maintained exactly as directed will work well. If not their performance and longevity will be affected period.

I would not subject them to any length of not being on a charger that Ferrari warns about.
    The resulting damage may be subtle but it will be quite real.

Of course the car will start after 5 days. This has NO relation to potential Hi KERS damage.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    If you leave your LaF unplugged for a long time, well one day you start it up and a warning appears "HV battery deteriorated Go to dealer".

I would not take that risk and go beyond what Ferrari recommends, the Owners Manual explicitly states "Failure to do so may compromise the function and cause permanent damage to both batteries".

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    and there is a reason it does state that as I posted.

8. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Indeed.

9. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Ditto!!

10. jreedff

jreedff Rookie

Feb 17, 2015
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey R.
    I know someone who's La Ferrari had been plugged in for months, unplugged it and closed the cap to charge it and it locked. Tried to start the car, car was dead. Couldn't open the charger hole b/c the car was locked. They sent Ferrari to service it the next day

11. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    We'll it shouldn't be plugged in for months - it should be out there being driven!

12. sagekilz

sagekilz Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Bensenville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Sus
    GET IT TO A DEALER!!!

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sometimes people plug their cars into their battery tenders... and then forget to supply power to the battery tender. This results in the reverse flow of current from the car's batteries to the battery charger, with predictable results.

Makuono likes this.
  14. Apatel219

Apatel219 Rookie

Nov 6, 2016
    My local dealer has a laferrari for sale and they were telling me the owner had to replace the hand made battery and cost him like 255,000 dollars the car had less than 200 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ag512bbi likes this.
  15. Mike WMS

Mike WMS Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Old thread but I thought I share some info:
    My post here is not to advertise but to share my info.
    I work on many LaFerrari cars in Los Angeles area. Most unfortunately fall under dealer traps and end up spending $10k + $7000 in labor to replace the ion starter battery. Most cases the ion battery will have low voltage when cars are not plugged in. Towing cost and dealer starter battery replacement is outrageous but Ferrari does get every $1. What I normally do is travel or perform the service at my place by just simply charging the ion battery for a few hours. Not hard at all. Just lift the rear lid, charge from the main power supply connector and leave it until you see 12v. Once at 12v you can start the car and charge by torque braking a few times and a small drive around the block. It’s advised that you put the car on the battery conditioner right away. At this point once the 12v ion battery has charge, conditioner will start charging.
    Hope this helps those that are stuck with no power.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Lou Cerchio and willcrook like this.
  16. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    The only way to release these brakes is to remove the 2 screws on the parking brake part of the caliper and once that is done replacement calipers are needed

17. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Thank you for the great write up!

Question , what do you do when the Ion battery will not take a charge at all ?

A

18. Mike WMS

Mike WMS Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    No problem at all.
    I had one case with an owner in SB that’s really hard on the car. We decided to use Braille carbon fiber 12v ion battery. It has been working great. No issues to report back and it was $1400 vs $10k.
    But In most cases I was able to charge the batteries. Other solution is factory.

AClark likes this.
  19. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    There's a LaFerrari in Santa Barbara?

20. Mike WMS

Mike WMS Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Yes : )

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure if the OP was concerned about the simple STARTER battery or the mega complex and custom HY-KERS voltage generator battery. The starter battery seems to be just a standard 12V L-Ion battery. The HY-KERS is whole different animal and not a simple or relatively inexpensive system.

Here's the STARTER:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's the HY-KERS:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Good luck with any HYKERS issues. Maybe almost a pain in the butt to replace as the F12 battery!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I found this thread fascinating. Sorry to ask a silly question as I do not own a LaF. If the HYKERS batteries are so sensitive, do they ultimately need replacing at some point? Sounds horribly expensive?

23. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I second that question having not really ever got a clear answer from the various workshops I know. I know of one car in Italy which has had them replaced out of warranty due to recharging issues but that car had "only" 8k km. This, together with whether the charger restarts automatically after a power outage (when in storage for example) are the kind of questions that keep me on the fence on committing.

Camlet1 likes this.
  24. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Thanks. Hmmm. I guess the same applies to the P1 and 918? Think I’ll stick with my F50 and F40.

Solid State likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No battery lasts the life of the car and I would think this is especially true with an investment hypercar that should be around for generations. Incidentally, the KERS battery currently lists for $156,381.45 at Scuderia not including shipping or installation. I do not know what the length of the OEM warrantee is but on these hybrids and full electrics IMO they should be covered for the life of the car. The batteries are the Achilles heels of the new generation power plants again IMO.