NFL 2018 | Page 94 | FerrariChat

NFL 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tomc, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    One can hpoe that Vic Fangio will be as good a head coach as Juan Manuel Fangio was a race car driver. :)

Go Broncos.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe the Bears kicker could just say "I was a victim of soicumstance!":D :D :D

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Vic Fangio signing with the Broncos to be their new head coach. Arghhh . . .

Well, this will test my decades old theory that a coach is only as good as his horses. I call it the Buddy Ryan rule. Ryan's career after the Bears was based on what he did when he was with the Bears when their defense was stacked at every single position.
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk . . . . .

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It occurred to me yesterday that a recent trend in the NFL is the success of former backup quarterbacks as head coaches.

Think of it: before about a decade ago, very few NFL head coaches had been former NFL quarterbacks. The only ones that came to mind were: Norm Van Brocklin (losing record, but for two expansion teams, each of which he coached for at least 6 years), Bart Starr (clearly not the head coach he was as a player) and Steve Spurrier (who returned to a successful college career when it didn't work out for him in the pros). For the life of me, I can't recall any other pro QB's who became head coaches in the league before about 2005. Can anyone else?

But then came Gary Kubiak, who made a successful switch to HC and had a nice tenure with the Broncos, including a Super Bowl win. Now we have Jason Garrett, Doug Pederson and Frank Reich, all former backup QBs whose teams are still alive in the playoffs, and Pederson already has a ring. While Garrett is perennially on the hot seat, he's been with the Cowboys a decent length of time, and could stay longer with a good postseason.

So maybe in today's NFL, if you need a head coaching candidate, look at former backup QBs who have some coaching experience.....

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LMAO. Good one Phil. Thought it was interesting the Brockos hired a D-oriented coach. I guess they figure a QB-guru is not yet needed given the QBs they have in house...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good point. The stars/starters go on to TV - Romo, Aikman, Bradshaw, etc. The backups go on to coaching....T

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Kubiak will run the offense.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Just saw that in the latest update. Makes sense...T

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol

11. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Or as good as he is a defensive coordinator

He was outstanding in SF and Chicago. He should have gotten the HC job at SF over Jim Tomsula (after Harbaugh) but that speaks to the idiocy of Jed York

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Elway needs Kubiak more than kubiak needs the job.

Kubiak needs to stay as an OC, with all the SB's he's been to show that. Hell, I wonder if kubiak could take over the GM job after Elway?

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    . . . And Kubiak needs . . . . . A QUARTERBACK!

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I thought it was Lynch...or that other guy....?:D

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And now the Jets are hiring Adam Gase. So that means Mike McCarthy probably won't be a head coach in 2019. McCarthy had said that was the only position he was interested in.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Why do the Jets think he'll do any better than in Miami? Because they have their "QB of the future"? If I were a GM, I would never hire an HC who was fired in the league, especially that recently.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I read a couple of stories that suggested that if the next HC does not right the ship, it could be Elway's head on the chopping block.
    T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is that the first "retread" coach that's been hired?
    Browns elevated their OC to HC. Wonder if he will keep Greg Williams on as DC.
    T

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gase is reputedly a QB guru. Has he "developed" a QB other than Peyton Manning?!? Serious Q. I cannot think of anyone.
    Tannehill is just as suspect now as he was when AG showed up in Miami.
    T

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm just talk aloud. Although I've heard that he may (or may not) have a drinking problem. Have you ever heard in like that?

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know the whole Bears defensive team needs to take a hard look in the mirror before dumping on Parkey. When the Eagles scored their touchdown in the 3rd quarter, the Bears only had 10 men on the field. And not to mention the ridiculous late hit on a receiver that cost them 15 yards. Add to that they they only had to stop the Eagles from scoring a touchdown in the final few minutes and couldn't get the job done.

And they had the nerve to compare themselves to the '85 Bears defense, gimme a f'ing break. I picked them to win, but they lost because the team deserved to lose.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly right. Mack was largely invisible. The D did not get a stop. Win as a team, lose as a team...T

23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ironically what got them their winnjng record is what ended up letting them down in the end - their defense.

And, I agree about Mack - be was a non-factor.

24. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Eagles last 3 games: no sacks against some pretty stout pass rushers. Their O-Line is finally (mostly) healthy - unlike that team from New Orleans.

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Looks to me like Elway is making a job for Kubiak. Don’t most head coaches get to pick their own OC? If Keenum is kept for next season, if he doesn’t produce he is gone.

So is Vic REALLY the HC or just a glorified DC?