Suggestions on leather problem spots? | FerrariChat

Suggestions on leather problem spots?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Subarubrat, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Most of my leather is in good shape, I picked the worst (and probably only) bad section for a pic. What is a good method to clean this up?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's hard to do properly with results that last. My recommendation is to find a local leather restoration place and have them do it. I am getting my seats done next week since someone did some dye to keep the seats looking new but the prep was not great and some came off when cleaning them. Stripping and re-dying whole seats properly takes about a week with all the steps and full drying between the steps etc.

Typical leather restoration on high wear areas shown below. Your seats are very vert fixable and should come back looking almost new. Cost typically about $300 a seat for full seat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Problem I have had is nothing lasts. When. i drive my car lots like 4 times a week it only lasts the summer.
    Easy to touch up but a constant pain.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Where did you decide to take them ?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    https://www.jerseycoastleather.com/

They pick up and deliver. The seats I have now look quite good generally but a previous dye job started to flake off I am assuming it was done at a Ferrari shop. For leather repair and full strip and re-dying it is hard to believe there is a place to take it to other than a place where that is all they do. When places like this repair leather in spots they match the dye exact as opposed to store bought. My current seats are 2 color tan with the dye gone in spots. I will have then put back to the actual color with a dye job that is designed to last not rub off in a few months. Classic coach in NJ pretty much told me their re-dying is temporary. Actually a good dye job is permanent, cows are not red or blue or tan and dye should not peel off like a sticker.

Guess we'll see... I'll be posting before and after's.

For the OP find a leather restoration/repair place. Don't DIY. I'm sure someone has done it themselves and it turned out great for years, not disparaging anyone's work I am speaking generally. For $300 a seat, it hardly seems worth trying it on your own is all.

6. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    40 years ago I stumbled onto neoprene custom seat covers. Same material wet suits are made off. A custom interior shop can get the fabric and cut and fit them to perfection - duplicate all yours seams, contours, head rests, french stitching and all. Great looking, wear like iron, no break down, comfortable, repel dirt and liquid, sun and fade proof, stain proof. Have them on 6 vehicles, one a black set on an open topTarga for 30 years - still bran spanking new. Pricier but worth it.

7. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My dad used to have a cherry '88 Mercedes-Benz 300 SE with an ivory beige interior. At the time, I was working for a local dealership that contracted a guy to come in a restore leather on old Saabs to repair this type of damage.

Long story short, my dad spilled some cleaning solution on the back seat that contained some sort of bleach or chlorine in it and stained a large area of the seat back and cushion pink. Rather unsightly on such a magnificent W126.

I asked the restorer if he could possibly fix this, which he confirmed, and then watched him work his magic. He color matched PAINT to the rest of the seat and airbrushed the stain away. It was not noticeable in any light or from any angle - absolutely amazing! The restorer said that the fix was permanent and colorfast.

While I was amazed with this process, I doubt that it would be quite so permanent on a seat bolster that sees so much wear... but I'd be willing to give it a try. He charged my dad $100 for his efforts.

8. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Anybody have a place in N. VA to recommend?

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The trouble with the "spray tan" leather fixes is that the leather can't breathe or take on conditioner. It will dry and crack and get worse. I'm stripping a spray-tanned interior little by little and the rejuvenation of the leather without that stuff has been incredible to see. When I started, I could literally knock on the thigh support on the seat bottom and it sounded hard and hollow.

sjd

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You could probably get them dyed with limited success. Jim @INTMD8 I believe has a very low mile set of pristine seats for sale ;)

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So does Re-Originals, 348 seats. Actually they have scads of new 355 seats too.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ShineKen likes this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    shoe polish?

sjd

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nope - and I know but I've been sworn to secrecy :D Just remember, John's a bit frugal so that might give you a clue ;)

15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    More frugal than shoe polish? That's F'in FRUGAL. (should post that in the cheapskates thread)

sjd

ShineKen and Dave rocks like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It can be done. I had a leather repair guy in Northern California who made it look like new and the repairs last a very long time. Like anything else it is all about the expertise of the guy doing it.

ShineKen, Pangea and taz355 like this.
  17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If its black or other basic colors Aniline dye is top notch stuff. Leather must be in good shape with no oils

Had a seat done 2 years ago and looks like new today

A very close friend does high end leather work and it's all she will use on exotic leathers.
    I seen bright white and black done 10+ years ago and still looks great

That lethertette latex junk just will peel this is an actual dye. Works best

edit

this stuff, must know what your doing and condition of leather

https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Aniline-Leather-Dye-p/a101.htm

ShineKen likes this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Be interesting to see her work. From the research I have done, aniline dyes are penetrating dyes that allow the natural characteristics of the leather to show through. We have an aniline dyed chair at home. It's noting automotive leather. The aniline dyes I am familiar with will color the leather but they won't match the texture or sheen of the surrounding leather unless some top coat is applied. Aniline dyes leather lacks uniformity as subtle changes in the color of the natural leather show through. The dyes used in the automotive industry are generally surface dyes which are polymer based and act as a top coat, which is why they wear off. They give a uniform color to the surface and, at best, allow only the texture of the leather to be apparent. A good acrylic dye, properly applied, should not peel or crack but it will wear over time, just like the original leather.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ShineKen and steved033 like this.
  20. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The reconditioning guy claimed that he had a flex agent added to the paint that prevented it from cracking, much like is used on bumper covers. I saw him mix the paint and there were many ingredients. It held up fine for the next 5 years or so until my dad sold the car. And no, it was not MBTex on this particular car.

I hear you about the inability for the leather to breathe or take conditioner. Conditioning your leather is the best way to keep it nice.

ShineKen likes this.
  21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Shes up your neck of the woods by Laconia, She was in my motorcycle club known here forever. Had her just do a tote for my wife. $$$$ for a f'n bag. Try's to stay away from car stuff mostly a fashion designer that works in very rare leathers, imports lots stuff from african tribes that's just beautiful.

Yuup they need clearcoat of you should want a commercial looking finish, I like it raw and natural

:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bingo. :)

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Totally agree
    Generally ,not all ways, you get what you pay for from the bolt to thesteak, to the medical tools.
    Dont get me wrong , nothing like being an informed consumer but I have seen far more to good to be true scenarios.

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I've been a fan of the color plus people. I've used their condition on past BMWs and the big Healey we have. https://colorplus.com/ with my interior being black and my seat bottoms torn, I figure once I get it all stripped, I'll go back and re-color with their stuff.

sjd

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Regarding leather dyes and topcoats, is the latter applicable to 80s and 90s Ferraris? I know that most newer cars, their "leather" is generally something else.