24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed | FerrariChat

24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Hey all,

I know this post will cause some fire and fury, but bare with me .

After driving the 812 SF I fell in love with the Ferrari so decided to buy a 458 this summer. Since I have a Porsche 991.1 4S convertible with NA engine, the 458 Spider with NA just felt right from a spec perspective. Compared to my 991, I never testdrove it, just bought it and love it. This time I decided to test a 458 before buying it so rented the spider for 24h.

And I must say, I'm not impressed. Sure it makes some beautiful sound like the 991, but the gearbox felt very choppy, it doesn't make these lovely sounds when gearing down, the valve seems to only open up when I hit the gas hard compared to 991, and it doesn't make nice sound from the exhaust when I release the gas. So from a sound experience perspective, I expected much more. Maybe this model was updated with new SW that removes some of the cracking noise that I've read in this forum. My friends 812 was a different story,, but not mid engine.

At least it saved me some $200k, but was looking forward to get it. Now I appreciate my NA porsche even more.

Hopefully some day I will find another Ferrari that pleases me and my expectations

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A V12 and a V8 are totally different.
    Besides, I'm always puzzled by all these talks about sound - it's only noise after all, for me it's low in the priority list to assess the qualities of a car.
    No wonder I have a 488 and enjoy it ;)

Hendry2019, Viperjoe, JohnTz and 3 others like this.
  3. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    To me it's beautiful sound and IMO 80% of the experience. But yes, big difference between V8 and V12.

anunakki likes this.
  4. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Btw, congrats on your 488. It's a marvelous car :))

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my guess is that you didn't drive it hard enough. the gearbox may be "choppy" when it's not under a load or shifted right. you also had a rent a car so it could have been abused. the car sounds great when driven right and is louder than the 911. if you are into sound try the F430. I also found it interesting you had no real thoughts on the way that the car actually drives...

6. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    It was most likely abused like crazy, agree. I did drive it extremely hard on Race mode and then it became much more fun, but I felt I had to force it really hard to be fun, while on 991 I just put it in sport+ and it's fun regardless of speed or rpm.

In general, the driving experience was great but maybe too stiff on certain roads even though I used the bumper button. The outside airflow was really well managed so happy about that. Don't get me wrong, it's a super fun car to drive, but not that fun that I felt the need to replace my 991

7. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Regarding the f430, haven't tried it but read so much bad about it and the last thing I want to do is keep fixing stuff that breaks, clutch etc.

8. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    hmmm..i am guessing you prefer the flat six sound a bit more, or maybe u are into that exhaust burble thing that PSE gives. I gotta admit the sound from a cab 911 sounds great (turbo excluded), even a stock 981 boxster spyder sounds awesome. But the ferrari has a diff tone, it's smooth with absolutely no PSE or BMW burbles. The f430 has a nicer low end and mid range growl, while the 458 has a better scream up high. I have a 458 and bought a .1 GT3 a few months back unseen, put it up on sale almost immediately because the sound is so lacking (unless u are pushing it really hard). With the 458 the fun is pretty accessible. And yeah v12 is a diff thing altogether, lp640 and 812 sounds wicked

MacDemarco and iloveferrari like this.
  9. This is interesting.

Without making any subjective comments on how the 458 sounds, I'm surprised, however, that one would consider the 458 V8 inferior to the flat-six in the 991.1. I've owned several 991.1s, and to me the biggest weakness of the Porsche was always the sound (even though Porsche fanboys will disagree). For what it's worth, I've always felt that the 458 was one of best sounding NA V8's out there.

But at least you discovered this now, as opposed to post-ownership.

10. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I agree with you here. The weakness on the 991.1 I thought was the sound. I enjoy driving my 458 over any car I have owned. The sound is not too loud for my taste and with the new 2019 laws in California, (AB 1824) loud exhaust owners will have problems and fined $1,000.

wthensler likes this.
  11. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    And some thought it was a good idea for the Seahawks not to run the ball...

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m new to the Ferrari world (458 spider), but have owned Carreras and have driven the 991.2 cab. I agree the 458 can be a bit more difficult to drive, it does take some getting used to. I think Ferrari did away with all the burbles you refer to after ‘10 or ‘11. Very different cars - I actually prefer the Ferrari howl as opposed to the Porsche whine, but both sounds are soothing to me.

I prefer the ergonomics and driver position in the 458, and like the hard top as opposed to the rag top Porsche. Like it or not, the 458 draws a lot more attention, and everyone stops and waits for the 458 at four-way stops. Less so, or not at all with the Porsche.

Good you rented one first and saved on what could have been a costly blunder.

Jamie traina and kandi like this.
  13. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I recently put a capristo valve switch in my car. With the valves open, my '14 has some crackles and farts on downshift now. Not quite the same as my NA AMG, but sounds pretty awesome.

docf and wthensler like this.
  14. grendel88

grendel88 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    I think it's the Porsche enthusiast syndrome. The 991.1 4S cab was and still is half the price of a 458 Spider. People are attracted to the Porsche Sports/911 brand for engineering/performance/entry exotic price point. It's hard to compare the two experiences without looking at cost of ownership, especially from those coming from Porsche. Personally, my comparison is between the 991.1 GT3 RS to a 2012+ high MSPR 458. Similar raw performance and similar price. A 991.1 CS or 4S is too tame for me, but if it wasn't I would be hard pressed to spend twice the amount on a new car as well.

WHICH is why the 812 seemed so awesome. It's the flagship. Different league. Also a completely different ballpark price wise.

Almost everyone has to start as an aspirational Ferrari buyer right?

wthensler likes this.
  15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You might go down in history as the only one not impressed with a 458 ;)

I'd suggest giving it another try :)

jc1, MacDemarco, Stevenb and 13 others like this.
  16. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I wouldn't call myself the typical fan boy. I've only owned two Porsches, Panamera Turbo and 991.1 4s cab.

Also pricing wise, haven't checked the prices globally but a 458 with 25k KM from 2011-2013 is only $55k more expensive in my country compared to the 991.1 convertible so it's definitely not a price question.

Midnight Oil and wthensler like this.
  17. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Hahaha maybe. Went out for a drive again and pushed it really hard and had a fun ride. Will see, might change my mind in the future.

Having all this said, it's a gorgeous car. Looks stunning and for sure you will get all the attention you want compared to a porsche which is more common

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    458’s have a valve that you need to fit with a switch, $700. I used a toggle right underneath the steering column. Remotes are clunky.
    Night and day difference.
    Owned 3 458’s and wouldn’t say anything but praise for gearbox. Brilliant.
    As for sound...none better, esp in spider. Brilliant. Epic. Esp downshifts.

Sorry, not sure what you drove or how you drove it.
    The Porsche’s sound pathetic.

MacDemarco, John Sendt, Lotaz and 2 others like this.
  19. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Curious, how come you've owned three 458s? Didn't understand, fit with a switch? Like aftermarket thing?

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I have a Speciale with Capristo exhaust and will switch to IPE headers/test pipes/exhaust.
    Sound is a supreme emotive experience and achieving the F1 sound of the past (pre turbo) is epic. I believe the 355 and the S line exhaust on the Scud achieve this symphonic sound.
    So the 458 needs some fiddling as well.
    I’ve never heard a nice Porsche exhaust other than a CGT.

Sent from my 16M

BaronM69 likes this.
  21. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Some other minor things I miss on the 458 compared to the 991 are
    - open or close the roof while driving. Where I live the raine can come pretty randomly.
    - I have two small kids who loves riding with me and the two small seats in the back with isofix is priceless. Sure it's my car and all, but it's really fun to enjoy the experience with my two darlings in the back

22. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had 991 Turbo S and had 458. Sound is a different story. You can't even compare them cause 458 is on another planet.
    Concerning 458's gearbox it is superb, can't understand your comment.
    What for sure is better in 991 Turbo S are CC brakes (did not liked 458's ones especially on wet).

xfrgtr and Jamie traina like this.
  23. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Bro you can't compare a turbo engine with a NA.

Jamie traina likes this.
  24. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    The gearbox is great in manual mode, it does it thing fast. But in auto mode it doesn't predict my need the same way pdk does and can become very choppy

25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    To open the top in the spider while moving you can install a mods4cars switch and you can even open and close the top with the remote.

Regarding the car itself, I’m sure that the Ferrari having an extra 170 hp makes no difference.

Yes your car is the best engineering achievement in the 21st century and I come from a punny 991 turbo S (pales in comparison with your 4S).

3POINT8 likes this.