488 Replacement | Page 61 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Uh, I've never heard a single person say the NA 458 Speciale is a better set up than the LF or the 918. NA hybrid is the pinnacle of ICE implementation IMO. Why would anyone care about a 488?

And in theory, all electric components could be upgraded. Want a lighter LF? I'm sure there will be better batteries and motors in the future that could easily be substituted should Ferrari decide to offer them.

Senshi458 likes this.
  2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dunno about that. Fikse, a member on here, runs is car constantly on the drag strip and rarely has any sort of battery/performance issues.

3. mofatmi9

mofatmi9 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Fatmi
    For the F142-FL chassis, I hope there are some interior upgrades like that for sure! Since the platform is a decade old, they need to upgrade the electronics heavily...

4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Latest rumors from French forum " ferrarista "
    488 facelift : Geneva 2019 , more powerful than 488 pista
    Big brother : second half 2019 , V8 TT hybrid 950 hp
    488 replacement : late 2020 , V6 TT hybrid 820 hp
    Just wondering why so little spy pictures until now ?

Doug23, roma1280, mofatmi9 and 2 others like this.
  5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Wow especially that V6TT at 820hp That's no Dino more like a 812 slayer o_O

Any word on 812 spider ??

6. Andrew97

Andrew97 Rookie

Sep 14, 2016
    Link pls

7. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Since i am new in Ferrari world, and from your experience with Ferrari is the facelift usually means a major change and a huge difference? Or just minor stuff that wont even be noticed.

8. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Ferrari broke normal cycle. Wait and see...

Hendry2019 likes this.
  9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Any idea if BB will be limited or not? If it isn’t the model range will become very confusing...how do you fit a regular production model with 820hp next to one with 950hp???
    McLaren do it with the 570 and 720 but they are at a completely different price point and it’s not like they are flying out of the showrooms...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

kandi likes this.
  10. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    Who is gonna buy 488 facelift and when you know there is replacement coming next year? What’s the point for a model just last for one year? Also, for a model with such short life there won’t be much different inside, the interior probably is same.

jm2 and boobernackle like this.
  11. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That's what I've been saying. Just seems like the 488 Facelift in March is a rumor that got out of control.

We've had no leaks at all so close to the reveal. I think it just means more Pista production, it is a facelift after all.

12. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    It is not limited and not exclusive. But very very expensive. Much more than 812.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It will sell well because while traditional customers head for the BB first time buyers will get the opportunity to fill the void

F140C likes this.
  14. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Two years actually. From March 2019 to March 2021. It'll be the last V8 only car on a mid engined Ferrari. Similar to SVJ being the last pure V12 Lamborghini. ;)

Doug23 likes this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    God please make BB invitation only so that I can rest inpeace when I don’t get selected .
    I feel so much better to be not on the list rather itch myself and bang my head for not having enough money from ICONA experience

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Mabi it ize biutifu (say with Italian accent)

17. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Ferrari seem to be following a flawed process that McLaren are currently using, why not stick to their traditions which has worked for decades instead of doing a McLaren and devaluing the brand, not good IMO but nothing confirmed as yet. If all this is confirmed with FL & BB it won't be long before their place as one of the most desirable brands in the world is gone.

boobernackle likes this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Don't think so ,
    McLaren now is a real threat, more than 4000 cars sold in 2018 ,carbon mono cell and so on ,
    Lamborghini also is a mature brand with highly desirable cars .
    Ferrari need to change it's own momentum because competition has never been so strong in history !
    Because of that we could expect fantastic future cars .
    Just remember the gap between a 348 gtb and a 355 gtb and you will have a more precise picture of what I am talking about ..

BarryK likes this.
  19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    The point of a facelift in this case is, to make something sligtly new with minimal costs, when you know that you are not ready yet for the replacement and therefore gain some time....
    This certainly woudnt have happend without very strong competition

20. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I agree on the definite need to respond to McLaren. The Ferrari product line doesn’t look like the fastest, most advanced sports car offering out there right now. It may be the highest quality, it may be the one that creates the greatest emotions, but that cannot balance losing out in group tests, acceleration figures etc. Things that I personally don’t care about, but many buyers in the market do.
    Also the electric car revolution will create new entrants, increasing competition further and the sad news is that most kids today couldn’t care less if the thing moving the car is a n/a V12, a twin turbo V8 or a 3 year old refrigerator.

My problem with the response to the McLaren strategy is that it will reduce the residual value of the cars too...Every car launched will be superseded in 2-3 years, the facelift model will be quicker than the limited edition launched 6 months earlier, the limited edition will become “limited production time” (to make sure whoever wants it can get it) and all of them will depreciate...fast.
    The reason I don’t buy 911s any more (GT2RS excluded) is that -wonderful as they are- selling them secondhand can be a painful experience. There’s just too many of them, tons of stock cars to choose from, the new car is just around the corner and it looks slightly better and goes slightly faster. Also the rare cars are not really that rare (as witnessed by the 8000 or so GT3 RS made last time around) and the numbered ones (911R) look a lot like the non-numbered that followed (GT3 Touring)

If I were Ferrari I would focus on making sure the SUV is a runaway success and that I have a credible carbon tub for my new V8 production model. If they do those two things, I am not sure they need to emulate McLaren on product cycle...Also on the limited stuff they have proven that they produce stunningly beautiful machines. How about SP1/2 vs Speedtail...technology aside there is no doubt the SP1/2 is one of the best looking cars of the last 30 years

crazedboutcars, Thecadster and Shack like this.
  21. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    That's my point why follow another brand ? stick to what's worked for years. If it stops working this way then change, but to follow a brand that loses £50k a year on a car is not good business in my book, imho of course.

22. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    The 720S is the car that's changing Ferrari's thinking, let's remember a couple of years back when the 675LT was launched & then the 488GTB, it matched it in lap times and in a straight line just about.
    I drove a 720S a few months back and although very fast I found it boring, I would never say that about both my Ferrari's.

BigGenerator and kandi like this.
  23. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Finally it seems that most of you gonna pay me a coffee in Geneva!!
    See you there to admire the 488 facelift and not the replacement.......I guess more than 40 pages to confirm my statement :)....and also no hybrid!

I am really curious to see the BB btw....love the idea to have a small LaF
    Next week I will be in F....hope to discover/see something!

24. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I'm a long time Ferrari owner and at or near the top of Algar's list for the new mid-engined cars. These rumors about what Ferrari is or isn't going to do come up with every model change. The manager of my dealership never knows for sure what Ferrari is up to so we're all just perpetuating rumors. I'm expecting Ferrari to stick with what they've done for years and that is to show us an all new replacement for the 488 in March and refresh that car around 2024/25. I've not been able to verify any of the interim 2 year refresh rumors at all. Expect a higher spec. mid-engined car to be shown at Geneva or soon after for more money. That's all I could infer from speaking with my contacts. I agree with everyone here though that March can't come soon enough.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    This is correct. The dealers do not know and will not know until the end of the month when the dealers’ meeting takes place. Having said that I firmly believe many people in here know more than the dealers (esp Mr Massini and a few others)! In my opinion -and I know nothing more- there is no way that the new car coming in Geneva will be refreshed as late as 2024/5...the product cycle has shortened dramatically

JagShergill, Caeruleus11 and Doug23 like this.