1988.5 983 mile TR sells for $168,000 Bring a Trailer | FerrariChat

1988.5 983 mile TR sells for $168,000 Bring a Trailer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    How sad...

A lousy investment and no joys from driving the car.

88Testarossa, C1C7M and Bradwilliams like this.
  3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thats a beautiful example of one ,congrats to the buyer

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I wish I had FU money to buy it and watch people cry when I put 45,000 miles on it in the first year :)

JoeTSI, Jakuzzi, MS250 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why would anyone do that? We got ours with 1000 miles on it and just drive it.

People have a really skewed idea about those of us who don't mind a patina and some wear and tear as long as we put it there. I for one dont really want a beat up car even if it is used.

Besides $168,000 was a reasonable price in 1988. In 2018 dollars it is a screaming deal for a brand new TR.

6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Why would anyone cry about the mileage? Or why would I spend FU money just to do it?

I would bet whoever bought it doesn't drive it, so does it really matter if its a good deal or a bad deal?

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    well said

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why would anyone care if you drive it.

9. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm sure you've met people who only trailer their car to car shows, unload it, push it into place, then push it back onto the trailer...Those people are the demographic I am referring too. Why do they exist? Idk, nor do I care, but I'd bet they'd get all huffy about putting miles on low-mileage pristine examples. I've met many like it. Pro-collectors. Good for them...If your question of 'why' is more more existential, then, I dunno lol

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You don't know that demographic very well. They haven't a care in the world what you do with yours. The more you trash it the better they like it. Just makes theirs more of a stand out. Besides, they get just as much enjoyment out of their cars as you ever have. They just do it in a different way.

Xtreme5053, Schulz308 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  11. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Sure. You win.

12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And there is the main problem with some here. Buying a car for investment purposes; not for enjoyment.

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    That's one way to look at it............... EVEN if it it not the right way to look at it. ;)

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And that is very myopic. To some here their definition of enjoyment is the only one that counts. Rather self centered in my opinion. I am aware of a number of private collections put together with no expectation or intention of investment purposes, undriven and thoroughly enjoyed none the less. Not my choice but I can respect theirs.
    I just cannot adopt the "My way or the highway" attitude.

sherrillt and Jakuzzi like this.
  15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    at LEAST the trailers queens get taken it to shows. Its the guys who buy these awesome cars, and hide them in private secret locations and nobody knows they exist. Those are the lowest of the low car collectors and I have zero respect for guys like that. zero. There's a local guy like that here in detroit. he even posts on here from time to time. has bought some of the most blue chip cars in the world. avoids car shows at all costs, and nobody but his detailer and car shipper ever get to see these cars. its a shame. i've chased him down on the road once and even talked to him, seemed like a nice guy even. just absurdly weird with his collection. Then you have guys like Lingenfelter, great guy, tons of cars, most rarely get driven, but he comes out to the shows and cars and coffees and opens up his collection twice a year for the public.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    While I think its great when those guys do bring them out for the rest of us to see and enjoy, it's still a free country for the most part and they can do as they see fit with their stuff. I have every right to do with ours what I want and so do they. If we really dislike it that much we should just buy out their collections and apply our values. My main argument however is to suggest whatever our method of enjoyment also needs to be everyone else's method. That is a mindset that requires medical attention.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I completely understand. And that is the beauty of freedom from choice. :)

18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I concur with Veedub00 regarding Mr. Lingenfelter, he is a man of means, but yet very down to earth. I have been fortunate enough to have visited his collection a few times with the FCA-Michigan folks, and it is truly astounding. I once followed Ken in traffic on the way to a car show, he was driving his Bugatti Veyron....and we were in our Testarrossa. He would wave and smile at people in traffic...just a very nice guy. I only spoke with Ken a few times at his "garage", but a year later I ran into him at the big collector car auction in Auburn, Indiana...and in a crowd of people he looked over, saw me, and and said..."Hello Jeff"....just a great guy!