Carrera GT | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Here are a couple of interesting (I hope) Carrera GT tidbits .

The engine choice was basically a trick . Please bear with me . Engineers wanted to make a supercar prototype , as a development mule and to gauge interest . Wendelin Weideking , a notorious bean counter who had cancelled the racing program to make cayennes , insisted n certain conditions . One condition was to "use an existing engine not a new one" the group wanted To argue but were swiftly (and surprisingly) told to "shut up" by one of their own.
    When Wiedeking left the room he told them famously "perfect , we use the v10" . Technically that was not a new engine.
    When the board and brass saw early prototypes, there was no argument about the choice of engines, Wiedeking was expecting them to use a tuned 911 turbo engine you see .

Here’s a lovely story , Someone very involved in these matters from a supplier point of view told me porsche wanted to find an enzo to poke around and Ferrari heard about this .
    Shortly afterwards an Enzo prototype turned up in Stuttgart on the back of a truck , with a letter and a trio of engineers . In return porsche sent Ferrari a final protorype Carrera gt and some data . The cars were returned weeks later with glowing reviews apparently and even higher mutual respect .
    I think that's a lovely story of pure enthusiasm I hope( and I am pretty sure ) that it is true .

Here’s mine on smaller bbs wheels and full on slick tyres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

A very wet spa , my favourite days are wet days

Leaving big black lines at silverstone

2. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    A well looked after clutch can last 100,000 km .

Check dampers for leakage by hand not sight .

Handling problems ?
    Check your dampers and droplinks gentlemen . Check the dampers by hand for leakage as well as sight for damage.
    As for the droplinks look for the "plus10" stickers , like this :
    They are longer droplinks , raise centre of gravity and car doesn’t handle as well . Many USA cars have this option .
    We are lucky in uk , we have a dedicated Porsche Zentrum for Carrera GT, 918 and 959 . Al the cgt here are serviced by a special forces type elite staff , trained in Germany specifically on these cars . I hear maintaining them is much harder in USA , it makes engine out service etc very easy . Germany has such centres for Europe also.

I do not agree that the Cgt is dangerous or a widow maker . It has the most fantastic chassis .
    The Carrera gt is that rare ( and now extinct ) form of Supercar that is a pure driving instrument . It will do only and exactly what you ask of it . The issue ( for some and it's redeeming feature for others ) is that there is no electronic overlord controlling your actions . If does only what your inputs ask it to and if your skills are lacking or your inputs incorrect the results will be appropriate . With enough respect for the car there is no reason for it to hurt you , rarely has there been a car that communicates it's behaviour so clearly , you just need to speak its language .

For me it is the car I prize probably above all others . The elation one experiences , the indestructible build quality of this car place it in another class to everything else to me, apart from a Lexus LFA . That has a similar indestructible feel. The f50 is the closest car I can think of in this fun to drive , big engine , no real drover aids , mid engines car respect . Both are magnificent .

It is a life affirming experience the Cgt , a car to keep for ever , to learn and grow with , a life time long experience to exult in. Ever 30 000 miles In this current car and 10 in my old silver one , I still am not better than this car . I still get butterflies in my stomach before driving it and sweaty palms and an increased hart rate afterwards .
    It's certainly no boulevard cruiser and it is more glorious because of it . It is the last of its kind , again .

Here’s another interesting point . The car Porsche really admired was not the f1 mclaren but the Ferrari f50. its handling was deemed superior and it’s chassis more fun by the Porsche engineers .
    In fact early Carrera GT prototypes had the engine bolted directly to the chassis (like the f50) they ended up developing the carbon fibre cradle in the end .
    So you could (almost) argue father of Carrera GT is f50 ...

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That is one of my most favorite videos of All time!

Sent from my 16M

NürScud, joe sackey and Wtdoom like this.
  4. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Doom, your knowledge and enthusiasm for the CGT is second to none. I have always enjoyed your posts and I'm happy to see your interest in this special car is still growing. With all of the cars you've owned and driven, it says a lot about the Carrera GT. To me it's a car that I can never get tired of because I'm always trying to live up to it's potential, which is a very lofty goal with this car. On the right roads it honestly feels like a spiritual experience.

Keep the posts coming, all very interesting!

5. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Thank you mate . I love the cgt and have been able to pick up a few good bits here and there .
    It never gets old does it ? Not ever . It’s magnificent ,it is Excalibur

joe sackey and Sterling Sackey like this.
  6. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    I took these pics at Goodwood . I had my BRUMOS RSR there and took it up the hill this was Parked close to us .
    I recognised it immediately .
    I made my way over to the guys and spent hours with them over the 3 days . They told me some amazing things . Apparently it sounded like 10 f1 cars(!)when they ran it derestricted" .
    They explained to me this is the car that donated engine and so much chassis , suspension and carbon technology to the Carrera gt .
    These are the guys that used to run the car . It tested twice and was retired . Then the race team was retired . They told me it was really sad as they were retired with it and when the car was moved to the museum , so were they And they still look after her today .
    They told me the lmp2 car that came along later was a development of this beast .
    It apparently was incredible , in testing it was "many times superior to the enemy"(haha at the use of the word "enemy")

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    This could have ended really badly , missed apex at v high speeds . Don’t overcorrect and she is fine .

Sterling Sackey and E_Man like this.
  8. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Very kind young Italian gentleman immortalised a fantastic track day at Monza for me several years ago .
    I found this by chance (Ferrari fans look away now , lol)

9. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    I treated mine to a mini restoration a couple years ago , at Porsche Zentrum reading obviously .
    I got to drive her around like this , haha

Note the rear wing supports , it’s as beautiful naked as it is clothed

10. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
  11. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Coming from a guy that owns a 918! Good stuff there doom. The Carrera GT is not for the faint of heart. It will chew you up and spit you out, or make a better driver out of you.

12. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    It was Walter Rohrl who famously said that , to the horror of the Porsche brass

13. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, Walter has never been one to hold back his opinions. God bless him.

Wtdoom likes this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Salomondrin is selling his purple CGT along with the rest of his sports cars after his Senna caught fire and burned down and freaked him out.

I'm not sure if anyone here likes that purple color, but I think it looks really nice on the CGT as do most colors for that matter.

15. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Thank you for your incredible contributions to this thread, it is always fantastic to hear from owners, especially those who have so much experience with other cars with which to compare this one!

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

His car is painted Rubystone Red, a classic Porsche color probably most synonymous with the 964 Carrera RS. It is of course not a real PTS car, and started life in the common GT Silver, but still pretty cool considering there are no "real" PTS Rubystone Carrera GTs. Note that the car used to be vinyl wrapped in a metallic color that was not anywhere near Rubystone, but is now painted in the correct shade.

NürScud, Wtdoom and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The most interesting thing about the paint job work he showed (and is evident on the second to last photo in this page) is all the body panels are removable to be resprayed. With one exception: a-pillar. That was the only thing that he could not remove for a respray. I like that kinda of design.

18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Yes, this is well demonstrated by Wtdoom's post on the previous page!

19. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Yes , Porsche brass sweating every word lol

Thank you sterling , there are so many helpful threads here , have helped me massively , it’s nice to able to contribute

20. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa

saw this car in person and passed.. they wouldn't go lower then 775k with me when I was talking to them back then..

the thing I didn't like was it had an "inverted indention" on the back lid... like a rock hit the panel from the under side and had this ever so slightly cone shape when looking at it under a light up close on top.. had a "big" scratch on the front hood size of a penny.. then some bubbles in the carbon "pillar" in engine bay. I also found that interior way to "loud" for my tastes

apparently it was one of the highest optioned cars though by sticker.. had a lot of options, such as those wheels painted that way, and I think some extended leather?? ???? had all service done by Jimmy before being sold, which I think was 90k???

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Yes, that car isn't a museum quality example (seen it in person twice), but still quite unique nonetheless.

As far as the online story of this being one of the highest optioned cars, that is incorrect. Upon looking at the details it appears that it was only such a high MSRP due to the $75,000 VAT that was paid on the car (likely due to Tourist Delivery in Europe despite this being a USA car?). The only special options on this car, really, are the "Wheels Painted in Ext. Color" and some small unspecified Exclusive options (totaling $5,410, which includes the wheels), likely including the passenger mounted fire extinguisher.

When talking about highly optioned USA cars, the Rosso Scuderia example comes to mind, that car has some options that are ultra-rare. Other PTS cars like the Signal Yellow and Pure Orange cars are also quite unique in their optioning, although the truth is these cars in general had very few options available overall compared to the hypercar elite of today.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I should add to this by saying, I prefer it this way - almost all Carrera GTs are quite handsome, whereas you can't say the same about some of their new supercars which are infinitely customizable by owners with, well... questionable taste!

pnorell, cgt000 and Boomhauer like this.
  23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

plastique999 likes this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How many miles?