Liberty Walk 308 Kit - let hate begin!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Liberty Walk 308 Kit - let hate begin!!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by sltillim, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What do you think of this 308 Liberty Walk widebody kit?

1. I'm buying this tomorrow

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Looks cool but not my cup of tea

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. Let those who do this to their cars die a firery death...

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hard for me to criticize this type of behavior without coming across as a #^%! hypocrite.

I'm the guy with a QV trying to make it look like a 2Vi..... but a STOCK 2Vi.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nope, not the same thing.

You've got a QV, Tommy - but prefer the Pininfarina look of the non-vented hood - a design change they made based on form-required due to function. It's a similar situation on a Euro vs a NA Car, with the difference in the vents of the deck. Or, the "black vs body color vents." Or someone with a Euro who installs a NA rear spoiler.

All of these changes were at one point conceived by the designer, and implemented as were needed. None of them were some gross afterthought.

But the SEMA crowd - who slaps fender flares, shaved bumpers, and air-bags on everything they see - that's not ... design. That's just JC Whitney with a 5-figure budget.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Can't argue with this

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Correct. He has every right to make it ugly as sin and we have every right to express our opinion at his complete lack of taste and judgement.

anunakki and thorn like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Apples and oranges. Your end result doesn't look like a 15 year olds car devoid of taste and style. You mistake making tasteful modifications which few if any here have a problem with that concept with exercising a styling atrocity.

greg328, Dr Tommy Cosgrove and thorn like this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Frankly we should be enthralled that the younger crowd is interested in these cars at all. Even if we don't like what they are doing it at the very minimum it sparks an interest in a dying segment. Their tastes can mature but the passion has to be there. We should be encouraging and guiding them not pontificating on what is "proper".

I don't know if you noticed but there are very few younger people at concours/car meets. This doesn't bode well for us IMO. Eventually all of us old farts are going to die off. If there isn't a younger generation to replace us all of the cars we love are going to be sold off to investment bankers to be hoarded and traded like bonds. There will be no more concours, no events, no cars and coffee. The cars will sit in some warehouse as part of a portfolio never to be driven or seen again.

Now THAT would be far more tragic than some flares on a 308.

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    most beautiful conversions i see konig, liberty I wish i could have one and my 328 ! Bellissimo !

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Thats a little like saying I should applaud a teenager for converting a Faberge egg into a bong because at least he isn't playing video games.

How about we encourage customizing a Toyota and appreciating the automotive styling of the masters and preserving rare and historic artifacts of all types?

rjlloyd, KevinMc and thorn like this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've never been to a concours, and possibly never will. My car wouldn't qualify to show, and I won't spend $2,000 on a weekend to look at other people's cars.

But local car meets: ours are well-attended (and organized) by people of all ages. I'm not seeing this "millennial death of car interest" that's so often cited.

Jakuzzi and Rifledriver like this.
  10. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Same here. Local events have plenty of young guys. Instagram has seen to that. 308s aren’t their thing though. 911s, McLarens, paganis and Lamborghini more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Neither do I. There is a generational shift in the types of automotive interests but that has happened every generation since Gottlieb Daimler rolled out the first one.
    Our changing demographics, society and technology are all having an impact and it will not stay the same, it never has. At FCA 2018 several of the judging teams, my own included had observers from a university with an auto restoration program. Also one of the sponsors had a judging program set up for younger kids parallel to the main one. Never had that before and we had no shortage of participants for both. We didn't need to give them a 308 and a Sawzall to get them to come either.

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm not saying we should applaud or encourage them to haphazardly hack up cars I'm saying we should temper our response not to push them away from an interest in cars.

I don't care for rules when it comes to creativity. Rules are meant to be broken. When I teach kids to shape metal I don't give them boundaries. If they want to reshape a 250 GTO or a Toyota go right ahead. I don't agree with it personally but who am I to tell them no? It's their money and time.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Jakuzzi and anunakki like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Whos saying no? My first post was the third on the topic. It stated quite clearly respecting their right and disagreeing with the decision are not at odds with each other.
    If your idea is creation by destruction you better develop a thick skin because the world is full of people who have no problem giving you bad news on your version of creativity.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    But not for the sake of it.

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't have an issue with what anyone does to their car. For those with original unmolested car, it just makes yours more rare. I think it is a good sign that tuners are interested in modifying 3x8's as that will spark interest/demand in the market place.
    I agree with the comment about the younger generation not being interested in our cars (or cars in general) at least not like we were, which brings me to this point.

In a few years, when most cars will be electric, will 3x8's be museum pieces held by investors or will they be useless and unwanted relics of a bygone era? Future buyers are today's youth, will enough of them care to make our cars valuable and want to own them. If they don't don't who will?

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Datsun wanted to call it a Fairlady in the US.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #43 Rifledriver, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    As long as legislation allows it will follow the same pattern it always has. The cars people want for the most part are the ones they read about and wanted as kids or adolescents. They grow up and can afford it so that period of car becomes hot. As they age out of the hobby those cars are slowly relegated to museum pieces. Brass age cars and even prewar cars didn't magically disappear only to be seen at shows and museums, the owners got too old to continue their hobby. There are exceptions but few.

There are 2 factors that will effect this to an as yet unknown degree. Costs will go up much more rapidly as legislation drives fees and taxes designed to discourage use of cars that pollute more and are deemed a safety hazard with self driving vehicles being phased in. As electric and whatever else we don't know about yet displace gas as the energy source of choice gasoline will be available, maybe not as good but it will be very expensive. Also as already seen in Europe old polluting cars (the ones we are driving now) will be more and more restricted where they can go for environmental reasons.

The short version. When we die so will 308's for the most part.There will be a few interested just as there are a few interested in cars of the 20's but not too many. The good ones will be in museums. The others recycled.

vaccarella likes this.
  19. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Thats only the part of it, the huge amount of offset added, plus lowering would make the thing bump-steer like crazy and have a huge scrub radius so would be pretty much undriveable. Plus would wipe out the wheel bearings.

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And over stress suspension components we already know are near their limits.

21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So.... You like shock absorbers and struts conversions? ;)
    I assume you meant to say Koenig; and you are correct in your statement. :)

22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    My 328 has now brand new OEM KYB on all four legs an stock bushings new upper lower ball joints so i prefer stock i mean i like the wide kits not sure what they have for suspension and yes Koenig i mean they best conversions

thank you

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I don’t think that’s entirely true. Yes a lot of kids could care less about cars nowadays. But today in freezing cold weather in Dallas there was a cars and coffee type thing that I went to.
    Hundreds and hundreds of people there. Most of them in there 20’s. The kind of crowd unfortunately that would stick a giant muffler on this horrible thing. But they were there looking at cars none the less.

24. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I look at it this way. Our unmolested and somewhat unmolested 3x8s just gained 10 more dollars in value.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani