14inch wheels v 16inch on an early 308. | Page 8 | FerrariChat

14inch wheels v 16inch on an early 308.

Discussion in '308/328' started by dudlow, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If you're referring to the SP Sport, I don't think it's available in 14" diameter.

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #177 vaccarella, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for that. I couldn't find that tire on Dunlop's or their dealers' web sites. It looks like I should have searched for Sport Classic instead of SP Sport.

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The shocking thing in that chart is there's ~ a 10 fold difference in the cost of the Maxxis tyre vs the XWX, Dunlop, Pirelli and Vredestein. We seem to sacrifice a lot for looks & the right brand.

5. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I don't really believe that test. I don't think that test covers how well the tyres handle on a period car. so maybe the Dunlop gives better grip on a modern cars chassis. but that isn't relevant to us. we want one that handle s properly on a period car with a set up like a 308. Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't read German. Who payed for the test?

I'll put it out there. i don't like the Dunlop. I don't believe it has a suitable carcass. I think it looks silly and i can't understand why it isn't cheaper. today for the Dunlop i would charge £ 15 + VAT more than the XWX.

I would bet that you would enjoy driving your car more on the XWX than you would the new Dunlop. and you would certainly enjoy looking at it more.

These are all reasons i don't list the Dunlop. Maybe i should?

I should ignore the Maxxis it doesn't have anything like the right spec. I do a slightly higher spec Galaxy https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/205-70x14.html but neither of these tyres are right. and they have a white wall. If i saw someone driving down the road in one of these wicked Ferrari Wedge cars with white wall tyres i would point at them and laugh out loud while at the same time sneering. ( i have lost a lot of customers over the years because of my pompous view of white wall tyres. I think i will continue to do so)

Jack-the-lad and vaccarella like this.
  6. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for your input. It's the only comparative test I could find and you're right to question the independence of German motoring publication editorial material, though I've no evidence of it not being impartial. I used to manage & negotiate purchasing of media space from these German magazines for the Fiat Group and spent many meetings listening to their pitches. I never witnessed any inappropriate behaviour, nor did we ever try to swing their editorial judgements, but traditional print revenues are certainly nowhere near what they used to be.

I guess we'll have to wait for real world reports & reviews. I haven't seen them in the flesh but the profile & tread don't look at all bad to my eyes, btw.

7. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Why would you ever write the word "Classic" on the slide of a tyre. It immediate becomes obvious that it isn't.?

why would you use a font like that when writing it too?

why not use a proper period tread pattern? Blimey Dunlop have enough history.

Aesthetically it is a mistake.

How could a budget modern tyre with the word "classic" written on the side wall cost more than a genuine Michelin, that will handle better on your car?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/205-70x14/205-70vr14-michelin-xwx.html

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/205-70x14/205-70wr14-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

8. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They're definitely taking the Michael on pricing. 205/70 R14 @ £250 a corner or thereabouts. 205/60 R13 @ £140 a corner. Seems like a Ferrari tax, though I don't know what else is shod with a 205/70 14.

9. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Please bare in mind that the Michelin and Pirelli are genuine tyres made in their own factories backed up by their own technical skills which are even more beneficial because these guys understand the technologies of the cars that these tyres were being fitted to in period. Which is different to a budget brand banging out a tyre with the same size written on the side wall. the profiles are different. Writing the word " classic " on the side wall of a tyre isn't what makes it a classic tyre.

What makes a classic tyre is genuine heritage backed up by quality. say for instance a tyre that was so ace in period car manufacturers like Ferrari chose to fit it.

robbie308 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey guys, I have listed my treasured set of 16" OEM QV wheels for sale....see "BigTex cleans the garage"
    storefront thread.
    Hate to, but want the right person to have them.

The modern Dunlops are a good alternative.
    Goodyear sent me 14" FULDAs from deepest Germany and that's what I continue to run, for the time being.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

hyenahf likes this.
  11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    hyenahf, Jack-the-lad and vaccarella like this.
  12. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Can someone please translate that German chart? Curious about comparing the CN36 Prellli to the XWX. I have always had a fondness for the CN36.

13. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Chart says the CN36 is good while the XWX is only average...

14. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The chart runs 1 - 6. 1 being the best, 6 the worst. Tested on a Benz 280 SL.

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  16. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I think this is what you want. I don't think Michelin came out as well as they should. But the opne thing they didn't test was durability. and one thing where the XWX really shines is that it is tough old tyre and if you give it some hard hammer it can withstand it.

Attached Files:

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think a modern XWX is the best tyre for these cars. Sticky as hell and look great. The only thing to look out for is that they go hard well before the thread wears out. I'm on 16s now with the best Bridgestone I could get, and they're nowhere near as good as the XWXs imo. I'll be swapping back to them soon.

YMMV of course

18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I totally agree.

except:

This is caused by the tyres not being worn out quick enough, because of irregular use.

So with your everyday car, you stick a set of tyres on it and drive it every day and it doesn't matter about how many heaat cycles it does because you just keep using it until they are bald possibly within a year.

However on a classic car it gets used, the tyres get hot, then it might sit for a few months, until it gets used again. for instance in the UK often cars will sit for 6 months without being used because it is winter. I think we sell more tyres to replace old tyres than we do bald tyres.

the point i am getting at is that a modern tyre tread compounds will have the same deterioration issue if it is on a car for 3 maybe even 10 years.

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The XWX has a modern thread compound. They sure as hell aren't the same tyre they were 40 years ago!

And yes, obviously the reason they go hard before they wear out is due to lack of use.

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The endless debate on tires for the 308 is fraught with mis-information and an endless amount of 'paralysis by analysis'

Most people who chime in with an opinion of what tire is the best do not do so from an objective position. In most cases the tires they took off their car were rock hard meaning that anything down to a $30 Chinese tire would be an improvement. In addition in many instances these people are also changing their wheels at the same time for something larger and in a few cases to really large wheels that may 'feel' more planted but actually detract from performance due to excessive weight. These people generally have nothing really to compare to and respectfully likely lack the skills and experience to properly evaluate a tire.

Beyond this the obsession with the speed rating of the tires is also absurd. A modern base Honda Civic delivered from the factory with H rated 'mom and pop' touring tires can generally out-perform a 308 and nobody thinks twice of the speed rating on tires for one of those cars. Referring to the over 40 year old owners manual is useless as the tires in there no longer exist and even the worst tires available today are a quantum leap beyond what was available then.

On a personal note when I bought my 308 about 16 years ago the previous owner had fit it with a large set of 17" Speedline wheels and modern sticky Bridgestone tires as F1 cars of the time used this brand (who says marketing does not work). He thought the car handled 'amazing' and much better than the original 14" wheels he included that had their original tires mounted. On the first drive I knew this setup (despite having cost him $6K) was a terrible combination and I immediately sold the wheels and fitted 16" wheels with modern Michelin tires. I got to know that setup really well for about 12 years and then swapped to the original 14" wheels now shod with a brand new set of XWX's. In my case at least I got to experience the same car on three very different tire/wheel combinations always with new rubber.

From this experience I can say that the 14" wheel/tire combination is my favorite from a true driving perspective. The steering is significantly lighter yet still very responsive with excellent feedback. The car is the most balanced as the newer tires offered too much grip relative the chassis and power output available. I personally like the period look of the ballon like XWX tire and should I have to change tires I would not hesitate to pony up the money again for Michelin XWX tires.

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's exactly right....and I think the TWI is 100 from memory. Very sticky and they look 'right'

I'm happy to say that the last set I bought wore out and were replaced before they became hard! :)

I'll definitely be going back to them soon.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Dougal, I'd be interested in your opinion of XWX vs. CN36. I happen to have a set of each. I purchased the Pirellis primarily based upon the data in the magazine comparison test that was on your web site.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My phone is not ringing....:/

I had hoped the OEM QV 16's had some value??
    Trying to trade among friends here also, as that's how they came to me.

Good post above on suspension.
    On my 16"s the road potholes are brutal, often impacting the rim if severe..and the OEM suspension thru 1980 IMO, was tuned for the 14"s.

I always thought personally that 17"s were past the +2" that was wheel guidance thru the 80s....carry on......

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish you were offering these a year ago......:rolleyes:

25. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Jack

Actually i would really like to know your opinion. I base mine on feed back from customers. Although i do drive lots of vintage and classic cars, sadly i can't compare all of them, as i would like to do. so feed back from you guys would be great. However here are my thoughts:

• they are both brilliant.
    • which do you like the look of the most?
    • I think the Pirelli will be a little more grippy in the wet
    • i think the Michelin maybe a little more durable, and be slightly better for long distances hammering along a motorway.
    • quality control on both tyres is impeccable. we don't have failures with either.
    • The carcass design of both these tyres is better than anything else for a '70s car.
    It is a tough call. Are you going to do lots of miles, or is wet performance more important. and which do you like best.