24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed | Page 3 | FerrariChat

24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Well, I don’t agree that the 458 is in any way disappointing. However, the sound is less clear to me. I had a 997 GTS Cab which sounded great, not probably as inspiring as the 458 but nice. I then bought a 991.1RS and that was absolutely mega! Nicer sound than my Speciale by quite a way (though the Speciale is just the best car, period.)

That RS sounded so good that it would take an 812 to beat it. My Lusso sounds great but not better than the RS, which is so tuneful, literally like an orchestra playing behind your ears with your right foot as the conductor. Mechanical, sonorous and not artificial at all. I can’t agree with the op’s conclusion about the 458 but I don’t believe the Ferrari V8 v Porsche flat 6 sound equation is as clear cut as everyone here seems to be saying.

italiafan and iloveferrari like this.
  2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had a few Porsches and loved them. I loved them so much that I had a dream the other day that I was driving one again.
    I woke up to my wife using the sewing machine :p

3. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    There are two types of people that n this world, those who love the 458 and those who are wrong. Guess which group the OP is in....lol. Seriously, a mid-engine Ferrari is not for everyone, it’s full of compromises and yes is far more difficult to drive than a modern 911. However once you figure out how to drive it smoothly, nothing else compares.

iloveferrari likes this.
  4. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    What do you drive John?

5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    You can find out our cars in the personal information page.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #56 TheMayor, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    I had a 12 coupe and a 13 spider.

I've been pretty honest here in saying I like the 12 coupe better. The 13 spider was toned down a bit IMO to make it more of a GT when I wanted something more sporty. Most likely if I drove an Aperta I would have felt it was pretty much the perfect spider. Unfortunately Ferrari decided to make it a collector's piece which ruined the entire idea.

Both cars at 9 grand though will stand your hair on end. And, I preferred the "clunky" DCT over it's silky smooth Merc - like version. I want some soul -- a feeling of actual mechanical bits being abused and pushing the limits of themselves.

I would not call either a "disappointment". Its a matter of taste but both will knock your socks off and both are far more beautiful than their Porsche counterparts. I've always been a sucker for a nice curvy body. :)

7. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Since most of you are Americans, and there tends to be some patriotism towards local brands, do you guys plan to get the new Tesla roadster or is electric fun rides out of the picture?

8. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    I put in the Capristo exh.valve controller which really opens up the burbles in man mode.

I’ve owned many GT3’s (including) RS 4.0, current 991.2 GT3
    IMO they all have there own sound and character ....however nothing sounds like a 458 at 9k rpm on the track

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I recently test drove a Kia SUV. I have to say it was NOTHING like driving my Ferrari. Can anyone suggest a good Kia forum to join specifically so I can tell them that I don't like their cars?

10. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I've just bought a 458 Italia and also own a 991.2GT3 and 981 Spyder..All great cars IMO in very different ways and sure fire future classics.However in my brief time driving my 458 its in a different league to my Porsches in terms of feeling special and character at sensible speeds..It took me a while to acclimatize to having all the controls on the steering wheel compared to my Porsches having absolutely nothing on it..The fixed paddle shift also took a while to get used to as well.
    All in all i think the 458 is a glorious car and a step up from any Porsche which is what you'd expect given its far higher price point..I'm also pleasantly surprised at the durable build quality inside the 458 making it potentially a relatively long term painless experience..

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’d rather have my balls crushed in a flaming hot vice than drive a glorified golf cart.

JohnTz, Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    What the Mayor said. And it’s cost me dearly at times........

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The sounds my 2018 manual GT3 make are incredible. As you say, numerous sonorous mechanical tones and clatter that vary throughout the rev range; different on the way up and different on the way down the rev range. An absolute orchestral masterpiece and indeed more complex than the 458 sounds by a long shot. What is amazing is it is all engine sound in the GT3, not exhaust. The cabin is filled with it like a sound chamber, hard to hold a conversation without yelling. The Ferrari has more of an exhaust scream echoing off other objects.
    The 458 has that scream though....spine tingling especially near 9000rpm. Also love the downshifts in 458 when driving aggressively. My Speciale doesn’t sound as good as my 458 Spider, but does sound a little more purposeful...like power is being used for performance not sound.

However....none of them come even close to the sounds my F12 makes. Like nothing else in automotive world compares, except maybe Schumacher’s V10 F1 car!

14. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    LOL, grow up dude

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Same here. Will never own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I don't even know how you can compare a normal 991 with a 458... These are cars from different worlds. The Porsche is just a normal sports car (a very ugly one, I must say) and has absolutely nothing similar with the 458... I always hated Porsches, but 2 years ago I owned a 991 cabrio (7-speed manual) and I can say, that comparing it with my 458 is like comparing Ellen DeGeneres with Megan Fox. :D :D

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Guilt as charged - we have given the op more attention than it deserves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Because I'm the one trolling car message boards just to tell people that I don't like their cars.

It's all good, I guess your cool just ain't "My Cool" ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    I don't want to "bare" with you (or anybody else for that matter)

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a solution...don't compare a mid-engine 458 to a heavier front engine 812 with 200+ more horsepower. Get a pre-2012 that didn't have engine software updates (hard to find but I did), get yourself a Cappy or Forza Componenti valve controller and install. Takes about 2 hrs if you're handy. The later is significantly cheaper and works just as well and he is an Fchat sponsor I believe. The sound of a 458 with the valves open coming off the throttle on a downshift is intoxicating. It will be hard for me to ever let this car go.

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Let's clarify here. He meant Megan Fox in Transformer 1.

rmnunez and dustman like this.
  22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    We are bored anyway.... Lol

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    correct on all front. its a keeper!

24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The bold quotes above. When you drive these cars "spirited" the sound is intoxicating and I have noticed that the shifts get quicker and sharper. I get some pops, burbles, gurgles, rippling, etc. when I am having fun with my car. To be honest, I have an exhaust valve controller and it definitely helps, but the 458 Spider experience is like no other. I can imagine that the only experience that could top it would be an 812SF Aperta (OK, maybe LaF Aperta :D).

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Off topic but my 15 Spider was more scintillating than my 13 coupe. I was very surprised as I’d read followed your comments for a few years prior to my purchase. My 15 was just a hot car I guess, and the exhaust was more characterful and had full pops and gurgles like a 2010 orig SW version. Massive chassis flex, sadly, ruined much of the experience.