24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed | Page 4 | FerrariChat

24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    About your last sentence on the 458 (which is widley acclaimed as one of the best of all time from Ferrari) doesn’t do it for you than no other Ferrari will. Time to head back to Rennlist or 6speedonline.

By the way i had a 993 turbo and a 996 turbo with 630 to the wheels so I have experience with Porsche’s and I actually like them. But no 911 compares to the 458 now a 918 is a different story.

I am on 6speedonline you should look for me and read the Cannonball Run story.

2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    For you who has better sound, F12 or 812?

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    ^This. Sound is subjective like choosing stereo speakers. If he prefers the Porsche, that’s his preference.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I haven’t heard the 812 enough to be able to say.
    I suspect they are pretty close though.
    I’m sure others can give a better answer....

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I like the 812 much better. Own a F12, my 812 arrives May-ish. The best part of the 812 is shorter gearing creating quicker/more shifts. The 812 to my ear is also a touch louder. For the record, I have the remote valve controller on my F12 and intend to run the same setup on the 812.

tekaefixe likes this.
  6. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Ah...if you are referring specifically to the downshift, then yes I can kinda relate to. I have a R8 V10 single clutch auto, the down kick sounds and feels great, not fast but feels very mechanical, especially when you jump 2-3 gears down. The DCT in the 458 is so smooth that I think you have to downshift and be in the 6-7k range before u can feel that rush better, anything under and the downshift feels a bit tame, even in race mode. But I think all of us can agree that the sound of that v8 is really at another level of the flat six, it's really different.
    And yes, while the 458 is very smooth and fast in shifting, it's not as telepathic as the PDK when you are in auto mode. It doesnt predict and react to your input that fast as the PDK, certainly on the timing of the downshifts. In fact the PDK-S in my gt3 is so good sometimes I feel it's actually better I leave it in auto sport plus, and whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.... I feel a bit useless in that car. Also, the 458 DCT is jerky sometimes at the take off on the greenlight (it gets better after you warm up the car for about 30 min), while the PDK is very smooth all the time. Like others have said, use manual shifting to better control your shifts and rpm, the auto mode in the 458 is really meant for usability and gas mileage... but once you are in control, that engine loves to rev and scream
    And my car is stock...just imagine if you start to play with exhausts or headers to bring that F1 sound back, those screams make the hair on my neck stand lol

MacDemarco, wthensler and Adamtensta like this.
  7. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
  8. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    The problem is, i drove quite a few, a 991 has no sound! It is almost impossible to hear it and it is something lacking to this car. 991 is a car I love and I have had. It can be better on some points compared to a 458 but comparing sounds is like comparing the sound coming from an iphone to the one coming from Focal speakers. It is just impossible to do.

xfrgtr and John Salvador like this.
  9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta

Thanks for a very thoughtful response. I totally agree and it describes my experience.

I'm going to give it a second chance, checking with some dealers and will trade in my panamera turbo for a 458 since I haven't used it in a while since I got the X5 40e as my daily driver. I live up north in Scandinavia with pretty hefty winters

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not impressed with the 458 but now will trade in your Panamera for one ?

11. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Interesting.... So quick background. I had a 991 C2S and then upgraded to a 991GT3 which I still have but is for sale. I acquired a F430 and while it sounded beautiful, I just didn't enjoy driving it because of the F1. I then upgraded to a 458 and thought the DCT will be on par with the PDK...with dismay, it's not even close.

The 458 is a great car and I'm happy with many other aspects of the car, but when it comes to overall drivability the GT3 is better IMO. The PDK is so crisp and precise, it never falters. Where I find the DCT in the 458 is at times a little slow and clunky on downshifts.

So while I love many things about Ferrari in general, I often waver on getting a .2 GT3RS because of the PDK and it's capabilities....albeit the Porsche interiors don't even come close to the beauty and sex appeal of Ferrari interiors IMO

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Or the sounds, or the brilliant downshifts, upshifts, responsive throttle, and so on.
    Takes but a few miles to fall in love with brilliant 458.

xfrgtr, Dave rocks and iloveferrari like this.
  13. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Got a good offer on the trade. It's hard to sell a thirsty panamera turbo these days.

I said I might.

14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    You do know the mpg of 458 right?

Oh boy. I don't understand you.

Please make sure you post your 458 later. I have an inkling that ferrari is really not for you. And you should stick with porsche. You might be happier that way.

Good luck if you really get a 458 yourself. You might need it. Don't come back and whine about the car. You have been fully warned by 5 pages of fchatter collective wisdom.

xfrgtr and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Dude, no one buys a 458 as a DD, but people buy a panamera as a DD, but a V8 DD is a hardsell. Do you really think anyone in this forum cares about mpg?

Pazzo009 likes this.
  16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I don't know how you think. You obviously think 991 porsches sound better...

Now I really think you are just trolling. Show us the picture of your 458 later.

Guys, let this thread die...

xfrgtr and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Obviously you haven't read the whole thread where I've said that I was disappointed it didn't do more with the sound on gear down, lift on gas pedal etc that porsche NA, lambo and some other cars do.

Compared to your useless comments, I actually got some good advice from others on how to improve those things I mentioned.

Finally, I will give it a second chance and try a non rental and see if it will change my mind and if I decide to buy it by trading in my old PT which is hard to sell right now, I will post the photos. Dm me your address and I will ship photos too

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #93 iloveferrari, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    I was the one who told you to try the non rental in the beginning. But then you started talking in this tone to those who called you out.

Again, good luck in your purchase. Actually good luck to the car you end up purchasing because it means one less person get to truly appreciate what 458 really is. But I bet you won't buy the car at all. If you really wanted the car to begin, do you really need random anonymous people on internet to convince you otherwise? Yes, 458 is far more inferior to your car. You can move onto lambo. May I suggest you to look into huracan performante if it's in your budget.

Oh well. Me out because now this thread is really getting boring.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Ok sorry confused u with someone else then.

Thanks for all the wishes

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Adamtensta is that really you or have you only took this artist name here as alias?

21. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    No I'm not the artist. Borrowed his name. Easy to remember :)

Would love to meet up and see your car irl and hear your thoughts. We live in the same city

Btw, are u the guy Gurgin meets?

22. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    There are Porsche people and Ferrari people. Ferrari’s are about passion and speed. Porsche’s are about refinement and speed. I chose passion over refinement, and judging by this post, I’d r commend the OP go the opposite direction and get a Porsche.

23. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I disagree. There are people who wants to discover new things and never settles.

I have a porsche and love it, not planning to sell it, but rather extend my collection and drive whatever I feel for.

It's like watches, just because you love Patek, doesn't mean you can't own something else for different occasions

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Depends what you're doing and where you are. If it's your daily driver, I'm sure you'll use it all the time. Why bother manually changing gears with paddles if you're just driving around town running errands etc?

Adamtensta likes this.
  25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never heard a Porsche that sounded better than a 458, but to each their own. All downshift/throttle-lift gargles in cars these days are artificial, so to say. They are programmed to do it and it has little to do with what you're actually doing with the car.

I personally find it annoying and kind of look-at-me. The car should make the sound it makes. Forcing it to fart/burp/gargle/whatever is kinda like revving it at a standstill.

To each their own. Maybe buy a GT3 or something.