Connecting Parking brake cable | FerrariChat

Connecting Parking brake cable

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Jan 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Many threads on how to adjust the parking brake, can’t seem to find one on how to reattach the cable through the rear hub to the parking brake mechanism. Mine is a 348 not sure if diff on a 355.

I had the metal loop on the cable hooked to the hook on the mechanism, put the rotor and caliper back on, adjusted the cable and when I checked the tension on the parking brake lever in the car - no tension. Checked the cable at the hub and it had come loose from the parking brake mechanism on the hub. Tried for an hour pushing the cable in and out of the hole in the hub hoping to get the loop over the hook, but no luck. Below is a photo and drawing for reference.

So my question is what am I doing wrong and how do I reattach the parking brake cable so it doesn’t come off before I’ve had time to tighten the cable at the adjustment area on drivers side?

Thank you for the help. I’m learning Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Back cable adjuster all the way off, pull cable from upright and pull cable as far out of sheath as possible. Rehook cable, keep tension on sheath as you pull inner cable back through sheath at adjustment end and get cable repositioned in upright. Readjust cable without letting it go slack enough to unhook. With cable adjuster set way loose adjust shoes as tight as possible, back off 5 clicks at each wheel adjuster then tighten cable adjuster.

Brakes were never properly adjusted at factory and I still see them set that way. Also lots of cars driving around with one hook disconnected.

If you have trouble with getting the light to go off or if parking brake will not hold on a pretty good hill it isn't adjusted correctly. About 5 % of the cars I see the first time have a fully and properly functioning hand brake. People seem to think the cable is the only place they are adjusted.

Qavion and ernie like this.
  3. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks for the reply, couple questions so I understand. When you say “pull cable from upright” I’m not sure where you mean. Also, Do I need to try and remove the nut from the tensioning bolt to get more slack ( I tried but the nut stops at the hole in the end of the bolt).
    Last, is there a trick to getting the loop to hook ( the one through the hub). I think I got lucky the 1st time because I spent an hour trying after it come unhooked( though I couldn’t seem to get as much slack in the cable as the first time).

Thanks again for your help.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have done it a hundred times and never removed the nut.

The only trick is slack in the cable.

ernie and vdettore like this.
  5. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
  6. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I put a small cable tie tight around the hook after fitting the cable. Stopped it falling off. Dosnt affect anything and worked a treat. Ive done this twice before. No problems. Combine it with the advice above.

Qavion and vdettore like this.
  7. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Great idea. I am hoping I can hook it without taking everything off the hub, but will try your tip if I don’t get it.

Thanks!

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats a very good idea.

9. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Picture of cable tie just before snipping it. Great idea. Thank you. All back together and working great.

Qavion and Pangea like this.
  10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    All, I hope this thread is still being read...

I have an 82 Mondial with engine out and I am reconnecting the parking brake mechanism on one side which I removed (unnecessarily). It seems that the cable to the side I am reassembling (the right side) is too short. This causes the parking brake caliper to stay slightly engaged and enough to not let me put the brake drum back over it. I did ensure the parking brake adjustment adjustment screw on top of the assembly is as closed as possible. My mechanism looks exactly like the diagram above.

The "cable" to the right side from the central mechanism in front of the engine seems to barely move -- meaning I can move the metal cable with the hook through its enclosing only a little bit, even if slack on both slides. Should this be fully free moving? I would think so .... not clear if was that way originally or I am doing something wrong? I assume it is just like a bicycle brake cable+enclosure...it should freely move.

Could there be some weird issue between cable and enclosure? Do I to have remove the cable from the the chassis to lubricate, etc? Not sure how much of a pain that is...

Suggestions?

11. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    From what you say you may have a seizing cable. It should be free moving. Probably best to remove it and run some release fluid into it. Perhaps maybe time to replace it. In my experience it will need to be eventually, even if you free it somewhat.

12. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Removed cable and it is seized. I see it falling about about where the exhaust pipes are....so far I cannot find a part number or source for a replacement. Any suggestions? I am in the US.

Thanks!

13. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Speak to Daniel at Ricambi.... You will probably need a chassis number..