AMG cars...past and present | FerrariChat

AMG cars...past and present

Discussion in 'Other German' started by 11506apollo, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I owned a 99 E55 AMG and I really enjoyed it for a few years. Sold it basically because I wanted to try some other things, but now I miss having an AMG in the garage.
    I like the pre-compressor AMG sedans like the E55 up to 2001. The body was beautiful, and roomy.
    I am split between going back to late 90's early 2000's, or get into something newer, like mid 2000's to 2010's.
    at the same time I fear the hydraulics in the suspension in the newer models, but like the extra horses....
    Any opinions? Thanks.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I just picked up a 2009 SL65 in August with RennTech tune. V12 twin turbo with 700hp and 900tq. Great Grand Tourer that will provide a lot of hurt to most cars out there. Yes, the ABC can be problematic but I bought a low mileage car with tons of service history and a very thorough PPI which uncovered a couple of things that were fixed by the dealer. Coming from a 360 to it was a little different since it is an entirely different class of car, but overall I enjoy it.

3. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    The supercharged 55 is great engine. If you find a car properly serviced, you will likely enjoy every mile of the supercharged E55 in W211 body. They just tend to be bought cheap at some point by people that have no clue. And this applies to both the States and Europe.

Lightly hijacking the thread. The 1985 AMG 500SEL I had is the only 4-door car I deeply regret I sold. Its destination when new was Switzerland, so it came with several homologation booklets from Affalterbach (for each AMG part of the car, and one for the whole AMG equipped car - a Swiss thing). 199 Schwarzblau with tan leather, on separated heated/electric rear seats, making a 4-seater instead of 5. A rare option. The version-specific suspension by Bilstein and Eibach (each part was numbered AMG126xxx) was unbelievable. Almost no body roll. Sold it with 102 000kms (ca 65 000mls) on the clock.

In the upcoming year RM is parting out a collection which included vintage AMGs. Worth having a look for every AMG fan. When I bought the SEL S-class I was shopping for a coupe SEC widebody in Switzerland, but nothing came up on the market back then.
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/search#/?SortBy=Default&SearchTerm=youngtimer&Category=All%20Categories&IncludeWithdrawnLots=false&Auction=&OfferStatus=All%20availability&AuctionYear=&Model=Model&Make=Make&FeaturedOnly=false&StillForSaleOnly=false&Collection=All%20Lots&WithoutReserveOnly=false&page=1&pageSize=200
    Several W126 widebodys but no sedans :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and zygomatic like this.
  4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Gorgeous car, the last truly best looking S-Class, IMO.

5. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Thanks! I still can't believe how silly I was to sell it... My friend who bought it from me was a long time CEO of a foreign real estate company, based in Warsaw. Mainly focused on commercial real estate/skyscrapers etc. In his contract he had a S600L with chauffeur. He left it at the company parking lot and was riding around Warsaw in this. Thats the quintessence, and something quite nuts for Warsaw, I must say :)

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This seems to be about bigger and older AMG cars but I just bought this AMG GT C roadster for my wife. She really wanted a Portofino but I really didn't want two Ferraris in the garage nor to wait for a year to get the Porto. So I asked her to consider other convertibles and so she did and decided she liked the AMG roadsters. We got a great deal on a fully loaded 2018 C roadster left over, they gave me a nice discount on the price and top trade in on the Maserati QP. Was pretty happy with the transaction and my wife loves the car. It's a good compromise for the price point. I think it's got some pretty nice features not found on the Ferrari Cali T or the Portofino that make it more of a DD which it is intended to be. Not that those cars can't be DDs but this one is definitely a DD.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

willwork04 and Boomhauer like this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gtc is v nice but why pick that over amg 500sl? yours has a soft top so is that an advantage over the sl folding hard top? does the gtc handle differently?

8. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Adding to my personal AMG W126, a few pictures of a very rare car I had on consignement in 2016. AMG 300E 6.0. An intermediate model between the original 6.0 Hammer equipped with the DOHC M117 AMG engine and the 500E-based 6.0 AMG cars (later named E60). Equipped with the 6.0-liter M119 engine, it was a narrow body car, still based on the 300E, which was back then the top range W124.
    Only 5 of them were manufactured, like every Hammer AMG it was running its own VIN number starting with AMG124 and not WDB124. I sold the car to Abu Dhabi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and anunakki like this.
  9. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #9 BMWairhead, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    MANY years ago I was staying at a place in rural Pennsylvania. My place was located on a really nice twisty road. I’d see all sorts of muscle cars, sports cars, motorcycles, etc...

The one that always made me grin was Butch Leitzinger (AMLS driver) ripping down the road in his 500SEC with a five speed and glass pack mufflers...which is funny, because that was the mid 90s when he was a NASCAR “road course ringer”

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    There was only one SL 550 and it wasn't AMG. The soft top on this car is not bad looking and it deploys in only 5 seconds. The car really hugs the corners, I was surprised how well it handles compared to my 488, that is to say it's not quite as good but it's easily better than the Cali T HS ot 991tts was. I used some twistys near my house for comparison.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow handling better than cali/tts is high praise. enjoy!

wrs likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The 2005/2006 C55s are a hoot. Normally aspirated and steel springs. They can blow 360s and 430s into the dust. Don't ask how I know. I'd keep mine if it were a stick. :cool:

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One thing the AMG cars have that Ferraris don't is torque, lots and lots of torque.

JoeTSI and wrs like this.
  14. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a 2015 S63 AMG and love it. It has air suspension (not hydraulic) and the control valving is easy to get to if there are any issues (I have not had any). AMG depreciation makes these reasonable price wise. Mine has 47k miles on it currently, it is not a daily driver (it was a daily driver for the original owner). 577 hp / 664 tq stock, AWD. Not sure if you are looking that new or not.

15. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Well,
    If I may solicit......in case anyone reading this thread knows of a W210 available for sale, in good overall condition, cats replaced already preferably, and as low mileage as possible, please PM me. I want to get back to an E55 W210....thanks.

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I had an SL55 and to this day as a total package with the hardtop roof, i think its the best car I've ever owned in terms of usability + functionality.

Texas Forever and JoeTSI like this.
  17. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    So far, I have the same thoughts about my SL65. Absolute blast to drive, comfortable, and torque for days.

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I also had a SL55 (along with an E55 and a C55 currently). All the car needed to be perfect would have been stiffer suspension and a manual transmission. But, man oh man, did it have bottomless torque, which is what makes a car fun to drive on the street.

JoeTSI, anunakki and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The exhaust was amazing too, but just overall great car, I cant believe they're $20k car now but i guess the repairs aren't worth it. I once woke up and the car was on the ground, the suspension had given out, thank god it was under warranty, it was $10k+

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is why I like the steel springs in my C55, no air shocks. I'd keep it if it had a stick <sigh>.

21. cayenne_ksa

cayenne_ksa Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    denver, SAUDI
    For me the best AMG engine are the 63 NA. My best car with such engine is the c63 black series. Very glad that i managed to find clean car.

currently leaning toward older version with V12 engine. Not sure which but SL70 is great one

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL