488 Pista Paint Problems | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Paint Problems

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dansage, Dec 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Using a steamer is better, the PPF literally falls off. Adhesive should never be used when applying PPF but some installers use it so the edges don't lift. The issue is never the PPF film it's usually how good or bad the install was.

Just the other day I was talking to a local PPF installer who does brand new Ferrari's and he was telling me just last month he applied PPF on a brand new 488 and he had to reapply the lower rocker. The PPF was on the paint for a few hours and when he started removing it the paint started lifting. Turns out it was a paint issue from the factory.

Solid State likes this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #102 Solid State, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Not suggesting to use adhesives to install. The adhesive is on the bottom layer of the film. Here's some comparison reading of the most popular films. They describe the advances in PPF adhesives. The second link describes paint lifting due to waiting too long to replace the PPF. There are many other discussion on the web:

https://exclusivedetail.com/best-paint-protection-film/
    https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/paint-protection-film-ppf-the-unspoken-details-many-consumers-arent-told/

Just so the readers know, lifting of the paint when removing film especially on bumpers is not uncommon. This told to me directly by a highly respected detailer known here on FChat. Many of you buy his products and watch his videos. There is no warrantee against paint lifting during removal of PPF which is correctly done with steam. F12KID's paint issue was there before the film was applied (not caused by the film) but removal of the film lifted the paint because the film adhesion was stronger than the poor clear coat adhesion. FYI, I was told that paint does not stick as well to the bumpers as it does to the metal surfaces and this particular company did not even want to apply PPF. They also don't like hiding their superior paint correction nor the slight color shift on 3-layer paint. Keep in mind that you may not be the owner that has to deal with a lifting problem but at some point all films need to come off. Best.

F12KID likes this.
  3. kimvandervurst

Jan 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    kim van der vurst
    Hello, we also have a new pista. With us the same problem the paint is a disaster ... everywhere scratch rings in the varnish dust (varnish spray in different places), not to see. Our engine hood has also been disassembled (paint has cracked from the nuts). Rims were ordered in wrong color dealer solving was the 4 rims repaint. we have seen that the paint is already loosening between the tire and the rim. Dealer has today picked up the car we are curious with the end result! This of a car of more than 300,000 euros
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's a shame I hope you get it solved.

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Class action lawsuit incoming...

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Truly sorry for your inconvenience. I’m hopeful you accomplish a swift resolution.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Why did u agree to repainting the rims. They shld get u a new set in correct color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gh21631, JohnTz and F12KID like this.
  8. kimvandervurst

Jan 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    kim van der vurst
    #108 kimvandervurst, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you for all your comments !
    We ordered dark gray rims (but the dealer said that this is black at ferrari :-/ )
    We had a good relationship with the seller, it was the second Ferrari that we bought. We trusted him.
    To put this right, they would have them professionally repainted ...

But it does not appear to be professional!

On delivery they tell us that they have cleaned the car for 2 days
    We can not understand that ferrari delivers such poor quality!
    Vehicles of this price category= we expect quality.

We are curious how the car will come back with us.
    I will keep you further informed!

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    tell them you want new wheels from the factory. dont accept anything else.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Heck and a new car. I spend $500K and the paint is failing I want my money back or a new car. Pista schmista

F12KID and Coincid like this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I'm curious that if the paint truly comes off when pressing your finger on the painted surface, how did the car get washed/detailed at the selling Dealership and the entire bumper worth of paint not come off? I would assume that the amount of pressure a buffing wheel puts on the painted surface would be more than a pressed finger would be.

Rhetorical Questions:
    How many miles does one have to drive to get rock chips in NY/NJ area?
    I know the roads I've driven on are the pits ( no pun intended ) and crap is flying all over the place on the highways and byways.
    How many times has the car been washed after being driven ___ miles? Was it ever pressure washed?

Good that Ferrari stepped up and took care of an obviously VIP client though , major props for making it happen!

Ferrari's do not come wrapped from the factory, but they do come in enclosed transporters.
    La Ferrari's even come in their own crates... The only La Ferrari that showed up with any imperfections in the paint was the ONE that came un-crated in advance with more miles than any of the others.. but normally we do not see issues from transport factory to dealership.

Are you really going to tell Ferrari they produced a less than perfect car? ( Even if true ) Then demand they provide you an entirely new replacement because of a paint issue on the front bumper? I'm thinking they will eagerly agree with you, take your car back, giving you all your money back, fix the paint, and sell the car to the next person who walks in with MSRP++ , and maybe , just maybe, you will be back in line for the next build slot in 2022 ( sarcasm )

As for the poster with paint problems on his rims, to clairify, your selling dealer had the wheels refinished ,and now the paint is flaking off?
    You should ask them to have the wheels powder coated the color you want and not look back. 48 hour turn around time, rock hard surface, and you will be driving your Pista next week!

Seriously though, Good Luck to all the owners posting in this thread , that they get their concerns rectified in a timely manner and to their satisfaction. Enjoy your Pista(s) in good health and I hope you hit the apex in every curve!

S

09Scuderia likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    F Ferrari if they dont stand by their products and any other mnfr for that matter. you can blow them all you want but I dont play that game. Too many other options that suit me just fine or better. This seems to be a chronic issue, we will see how many others have this problem. Hopefully very few or none. Ferrari paint has always been known to be average at best but if the paint is truly rubbing off on their flagship car this is a real problem.

It is not unreasonable to expect a perfect car especially at this price point.

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    LOL - You can blast me all you want, they will just ask you to step aside, and move on to an owner who is more understanding and willing to work with them to make it right ( Just as the OP has )

1 owner , 1 car , making an online claim does not equal chronic... just as everyone piled on the F12 paint corrosion thread, I seem to be the only one who was willing to put up actual chassis numbers to support my position. I am willing to be that there will be far more perfect examples than this one off mishap.

I have personally out eyes on 3 brand new Pista's , only 1 had anything that could be considered an " imperfection " , and Ferrari stepped up and approved the solution immediately.

So, with this said, no one has proven that there is an example of paint " rubbing off to the touch " out there, much less chronically.

I agree with you on your last statement ,

S

09Scuderia likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm not blasting you, I'm saying that I could care less about Ferrari or any other company that doesnt stand behind their product. Regarding the paint issue this is the 2nd or 3rd person on Fchat making this claim. I dont have firsthand experience, hopefully it is isolated. we shall see.

Boomhauer and SAFE4NOW like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Ferrari owners are so anal about a car having any portion of their car repainted or heaven forbid, repaired even if it is a minor, superficial incident.

But factory defective paint that is actually flaking off, is considered nothing but a trivial inconvenience. Some respond with warnings and cautions to those owners affected to refrain from complaining to their dealer or Ferrari lest they draw the ire of the company which could result in expulsion from this hallowed club.

Truly unbelievable. Are these individuals not aware that the super car competition has become fierce with many magnificent non Ferrari choices available.

Allowing Ferrari to get away with unacceptable issues like the flaking paint, will only serve to disincentivize the company to strive for better.

IPO1, SAFE4NOW and Gh21631 like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What's the difference if you'll be pulling out all your interior plastic parts to be refinished on your own dime? Every single car according to one of our sponsors.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    At least the interior bits last a few years before this happens. Actually I've never had this problem but I have seen questionable paint and body part issues such as ripples in many F12 bumpers.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not surprisingly, bumper to bumper warrantee of which all of these issues including paint would be covered ends at the few years mark. Just remarkable on your $450K+ Ferrari that after only 36 months your +30K paint upgrade could bubble and the plastics will start to melt off even without use on every panel including steering column, center console, door panels, roof panel and dashboard and there's zero coverage. Still remains to be seen if known latent paint failures and factory corrosive failures are going to be covered after 36 months.

Does the Pista have the standard 488 issue with the rear center brake lite being partially illuminated (drawing battery power) even when the car is parked and turned off for the night?

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    How ironic that it was an Italian, Alessandro Volta, who gave us electricity in the 18th century yet 200 years later, they can't even get it to turn off at night. :)

20. kimvandervurst

Jan 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    kim van der vurst
    Update about the Ferrari Pista

It looks like a fairy tale ...
    January 16, the dealer picked up the car.
    Today we call what will happen.
    They told me that there is someone from after-sales to Italy to discuss this matter (I suspect not only for us alone) ...

Thursday we can call again ...

Dream car or night mare unbelievable

I'll keep you informed.

IPO1 likes this.
  21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I always laugh when so called Ferrari fanboys chime in and claim it's not a big deal that a couple Pista's have QC issues. I'm sorry but $500k is $500k, it's a ton of money to be spending on a car and when you spend that kind of money the car should be delivered without any flaws. There's no excuse for the piss poor QC over at the factory and there's no reason why so many cars are leaving the factory with issues.

My brand new 488 had paint issues and an issue with the leather dash, nothing was done about it. You would think for a company that went public that they would put more controls to make sure the cars leave without issues but it doesn't seem to be the case. Going public instead has pumped up their ego and now most owners live in fear of making a complaint because you might be blacklisted.

jm2, Gh21631 and IPO1 like this.
  22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The reason for quality issues don’t get sorted at the factory ( Ferrari has for years has paint issues. I have owned 8 recent Ferrari’s and all needed a significant amount of detailing work to correct) they don’t really care. They have known about poor paint quality and have not addressed. Main reason, they sell every car they manufacture - period. When have you ever seen a picture at the factory of just cars completed and sitting around like you do for major car manufactures? You don’t. They may be at the Ferrari dealers but those are no longer Ferrari’s cars they are owned by the individual dealers.

IPO1 and Gh21631 like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I don't think any mnfr is without issues whether paint or otherwise but you would expect at least a certain level of quality and service especially at these price points. Hopefully the owners get their cars sorted. As I stated earlier I would want another car. I don't know how they will correct the paint so it looks factory. I would imagine they would have to pull the panels off and spray each one. Then put it all back together. Similar to being in an accident without the damage. I bet this process will take a while as well.

Good luck fellas.

SAFE4NOW and IPO1 like this.
  24. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray

Sounds like there will be some Pista's for sale in the next 6 months.

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's a given - the big question now is, for how much will they sell?
    Anyone could place bets ;)