Gtc4 lusso problems | FerrariChat

Gtc4 lusso problems

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Asthenia, Jan 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    hi guys,

I always dreamed of a ferrari, so when i finally could afford a lusso, i was filled with joy.

But my happiness was not long lived. I’ll list some of the issues i had in 22k km of ownership:

10k km : oil hanging from the boot, back window.. had to get new gearbox (or so they said. I never checked if they actually installed it) oil went away.
    13k km : when i took a bump, i always heared like a mouse peeping , like a spring that made an squeaky sound. Something was wrong at the shocks.
    16k km: when the car was warm, you could hear a ticking sound, almost as if the car was puffing. They took 2 weeks to find it. Told me by changing the oil, the sound went away.

Oh, we’re not done yet!

18k km, i drive the care everyday. Dead battery. Wouldn’t start. After i got jumped, drove everyday, always started

19k km: get in car , start, drive 50km’s. After 2 hours of lunch, i get back in the car, dead battery.. had to call ferrari assistance. They didn’t even come cause they couldn’t find me in their system. (I guess because i didn’t buy a laferrari? I mean honestly guys? Service level zero

21k km... oh yes, oil on the whole backside AGAIN identical to what i had ar 10k km. Like the whole backside, trunk etc is greasy and full of specks of oil. Will it be the gearbox again? Who knows.
    Car still drove so i get in, drive off the parking.. and yes.. my front tire erupts..

Called ferrari assistance.. they didn’t find me again. Couldn’t help to get it towed. Was about to lose my **** so i tell the lady, that she should get a manager and that i’m not putting up with this **** anymore. Got towed.. halleluja.

I’m 31 years old, clean the car weekly, never drive off if the engine isn’t at least 40-50 degrees celcius. Treat the car with respect. But all i get is frustration. This used to be a dream of mine, but it’s turning into hell. My gf doesn’t even wanna get in anymore to go on a roadtrip. Cause everytime we did, the car broke down.

Apart from this i also get the software crap with the seat heating staying turned on on the screen. You have to push the button on the side of the seat to make it go away. Also have crashed usb’s a lot.

Anyone else have these issues? Or am i the jackass who got unlucky?

2. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    cant comment as my lusso only has 2k kms since new. so far, ived experienced software bugs on the mirrors, lights, and the frozen center screen. but its good at least you have driven your lusso for 22k kms. i dont even see myself reaching that much mileage in the years to come as im always away

3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach

6000 Miles or 10,000 Kms and I've only experienced the seat heater display issue which was was an early software glitch and a passenger window that would go down after I locked the car and then opened the passenger door (occasionally). Both software glitches were fixed at the same time.

My Lusso was one of the first (delivered May 2017) so I would think those two software issues were solved long ago. Other than those insignificant items the car has been perfect and absolutely the best daily driver I've owned. Love my Lusso and pass the other cavalinos in the stable and pick the Lusso 95% of the time. It's comfortable, fast and a classy gentleman's (or Lady's) ride. I couldn't imagine what I'd drive if I sold it.

sidewalk and FFantastic like this.
  4. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Sorry to hear about your experience.

On my end over a year and 15kmiles, experienced a broken cable preventing me from opening drivers door from outside, couple times manetino failure which self resolved next morning, and more recently a harness disconnect in gear box preventing few gears to work.

Honnestly nothing too bad. Certainly feels like assembly is not rock solid but those things happen.
    So far i consider the car reliable.

Ferrari road side on point, and my dealer doing a superb job at treating my car fast as they know I DD it. Now no loaner, Ferrari must assume clients have other cars, which we do.

No issue ever with battery, even after 2 weeks not used and not on tender.

sidewalk likes this.
  5. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I’m happy to read that you have no technical issues. I have to say my car had 4000km when i bought it (saw it and wanted it) they say v12’s are strong so i hope the car will stop to break down after they fix it this time. Cause yes.. i do love the car..

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My brother owned a Lexus and had to get rid of it since it spent more time in service then on the road.
    It can happen to any Brand, sometimes a car is just a bad one.
    My wife's Lusso is 5 months old and has 5400 miles already, so far bulletproof reliable.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    I had the door handle thing aswell.. passenger door wouldn’t open anymore. I have a GT3 and an M4 so I understand what you mean.
    Anyway I’m happy I gave people a chance to laugh when they saw the car being towed (in belgium having a ferrari is not taken well, although it’s better than owning the M4. Bmw tends to make people more jealous. The ferrari is considered more like art.

Asked for a quote on a huracan evo.. anyone know people who own one? And if they are reliable?

8. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    my Lusso had driver's side window problem, and sometimes the screen just freezes with the loading icon. other than that, so far so good.
    It sounds like a combination of a bad example of a car, bad dealership service, and bad luck. I would try to talk to your local dealer and get some attention and extra care for the car.

9. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've had some issues as well.....but quite honestly part of the Ferrari ownership experience.....seat heater icon, some low voltage problems, frozen center screen.....they all seem to auto correct themselves.....car is fabulous otherwise

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    0 to 7,200 miles and only thing to report is I hit a pot hole and ruined a tire. Had to have it towed. That's it.

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have about 7k miles on my May 18 car. It is currently sitting in my garage covered in salt and muck because I use it in winter (don’t worry, it will get cleaned...!) It is the Ferrari I use most and is such an easy car to get along with. It’s fast, that big V12 giving plenty of power and lovely sounds, and it handles well with plenty of response when you are cornering and on and off throttle.

I have had a battery replaced under warranty (happened on FF too) so I am pretty sure it is a weak spot. Other issues that people mention often get traced back to the battery - any kind of electrical issue, first thing to look at is the battery. Other than that any issues are of my own doing happily/unhappily. The oil in the rear issue is a bit unnerving, although it is the first time I have heard a report of that and the mating of the DCT gearbox to the V12 is now quite tried and tested with FF, F12, TDF, Lusso and 812 all using the same basic architecture. Sounds like you have been really unlucky there.

The fact you weren’t recognised by the rescue company is a bit shabby, I suspect the dealer should take some responsibility for that, it is not really acceptable.

Hope it works out for you especially since it is your first Ferrari experience. I have had numerous cars now and these modern Ferraris really are comparatively bulletproof compared to what Ferrari owners have had to deal with over the years. Added to that, they are just great to drive.

otakki, Bundy, uhn2000 and 4 others like this.
  12. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    I have a charger from ferrari. No idea how it works.. did you guys get a manual with it? I just plug it in and look if all the lights light up. Takes 8 hours before they all light up.
    How can I check if my battery is broken?

Could it be because my phone charger is always in the socket?

The car only didn’t start 2 times .. the third time my car detailer had cleaned the interior for 3 hours with the music on. So that time it could have been expected to drain the battery

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It sounds like you are using the tender correctly. It is OK, but I like to replace it with the CTek 7002. 8 hours seems a little lengthy, but not really crazy. If your battery had a real problem I am pretty sure your car would never start and the tender would show some kind of error. I doubt the phone charger is causing the problem because I think the car shuts down all the electronics but if you are not convinced, try removing it and see what happens. Its always possible to have a battery with bad cells. It will perform like a good battery most of the time, and then for no explanation, it acts weird. I've had this in a few new cars- mostly around the 2010/11 time. The dealer should have equipment to properly test the battery. Tell the detailer to get his own portable speaker or headphones. I suggest you use the tender after every time you drive the car.

Here is a link to the tender I like, its just the first one that came up on eBay. You can probably find the parts separately for less money. They include the Ferrari connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-CTEK-MUS-7002-Battery-Charger-Adapter-488-812-California-T-FF-F12-GTC4/192366328004?hash=item2cc9ed38c4:g:7lUAAOSwGzhaDgX5:sc:USPSPriorityMailLegalFlatRateEnvelope!10577!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

In my case I've had my car since October and over 1,500 miles and no problems.

Asthenia likes this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I use the standard tender. What happened with my Lusso was at about 3k miles and 3 or 4 months. I was out and left the car in a car park for about 2 hours, not unusual. I noticed that it took longer to turn over and fire. When I got home - a half-hour drive away - I planned to use the car later that evening. I left it off the charger and two hours later it was dead. Lights operated but nothing from the starter. I put it on the charger for about an hour and absolutely normal again!

I took it to the dealer and told them something was up. A couple of days later (after charging, discharging, recharging) they said they couldn’t find any fault. I knew there was a fault somewhere but agreed to take it back again and see what happens. When I turned up to collect it they said....”ok, it happened to us too when we were moving the car out of the workshop so we have now replaced it”. Point is, battery faults are not always obvious, even to the dealer, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue. If the battery is working anything but completely normally it will need changing IMV.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats my experience with batteries also. In your case, it sounds like a battery with bad cells.

16. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Car is in shop now, will get battery checked. Would love to do a road trip to switzerland this may.. the perfect thing for the lusso..
    tried to do the stelvio last year but it was closed.

I do have to say, my dad has an F12.. would still pick it over the lusso anytime.. the way that thing steers is insane. For me personally one of the most beautiful cars on earth.. and more beautiful than the 812

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed. My Cali took a very long time to "go green" when I first bought it. Overnight like yours. New battery and new 7002 conditioner and it's been problem free for almost years. Best of luck with your Lusso...T

Caeruleus11 and Asthenia like this.
  18. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    By the way.. does your dealer also try to sell you a pista alongside a stock portofino?

I’m guessing this is a sales technique or something. They tried to sell me a 488 and if i bought that one, they’d let me buy the pista. When i said i wanted just the pista, they said i had to buy both or no deal..

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Seems to be a standard sales ploy in some markets based upon a very long and entertaining thread in the 488/458 section...T

NeilF8888 likes this.
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I was offered a Pista when buying the Lusso for my wife and rejected it.
    I'm not a 2 bit speculator to flip it immediately and since there is no track nearby where I live, getting that car to drive on public roads would be just silly.
    Looking at a car parked in the garage and not putting miles on it so it doesn't "depreciate" is not my idea of "Ferrari' ownership either.

21. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    Hope your dealer installed an Interstate battery...mine did for my FF.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yours stock Interstate battery?! I thought dealers stock only that oem red-top Odyssey battery.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I should add that since they installed battery (an Odyssey), when I plug it in back after a drive, it takes about an hour or so to "go green" on the 7002. And, since my Cali has HELE, I charge it in "snowflake" mode.
    T

24. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Newsflash!
    Diagnosis of my car= Gearbox broken. It had a crack in it.
    Important to know.. this is the SECOND time it happened to me and also the second time that they will need to install a new gearbox (2 broken gearboxes which both cracked)
    Apparently I am not the only one as my dealer said that the factory told them that there are more cases ..
    They told me that the gearbox has a faulty design and it has difficulties coping with the forces.. kinda weird since i only drive my cars hard on track. My lusso is spared as I hardly rev it over 6000.

So watch out for the gearbow guys! And try and get it in warranty. I was told to get a lawyer and try and get compensation for the 10 weeks in total that I could not use my car.. dunno if it is worth the shot

25. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Interesting, wonder if it is certain years or all lussos