Fast N' Loud F40 being auctioned again? | FerrariChat

Fast N' Loud F40 being auctioned again?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Squid, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Squid

The Squid Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    So Cal
  2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    someone is going to get a nice car is only missing the factory wheels i like them the best

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Interesting first post....I thought Dennis had bought that car.

4. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    I would love to have and afford an F40. Does this one have a salvage/rebuilt title? That would deter me unless the cost savings were significant.

5. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

DUnno what the title says, but it was in a decent sized accident. However, the Gas Monkey Garage was filmed during the restoration process. It seems as though the car was put back into a very good condition.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Auction notes indicate severe damage ?
    The pictures don’t indicate any.

7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Didn't Reggie Jackson buy this car for around $950k (can't remember exactly) then sell it at an auction for a $300k ish loss?

imahorse likes this.
  8. Metastable

Reggie Jackson did buy it, I believe in the $700k range..... a bit less then that I believe. There was severe damage that seemed to be painstakingly fixed by Gas Monkey Garage..... but that was a long time ago.

ChipG likes this.
  9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Praise for the repairs are interesting. I watched some of the show and it looked pretty halfassed. The Gilmour F40 doesn’t seem to get sold even with a fair discount presumably because of the damage history. Is there a good market for riced out F40s with salvage titles?

Mbutner, fbrs2 and DirtyScud like this.
  10. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I in no way have insider knowledge but from what I heard, Ferrari was noooooooot happy about what GMG (Gas Monkey Garage) did to this car.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    So wait. It got seized from Reggie Jackson or the person who bought it from him? Was it wrecked second time too? After they fixed it on the show?

HeavyFuel likes this.
  12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    It's seized from the con man who lives in Santa Monica, CA that defrauded the VA hospital in Westwood to the tune of around $11 million or more. Reggie sold it at an auction taking a loss not long after he bought it.

13. Metastable

Not sure what is meant by halfassed. They took the time to straighten the car to tighter than factory spec, then cut and reweld the stress members that had been rebent, to reduce the chances of any weak points, with proper Ferrari frame metal.

IMO if the frame is straight and strong, and all the other safety systems are in place, then we’re good. The only thing I did not quite understand was the issue with (I forget) the shock mounts or engine mounts that required an adjustment..... not sure what happened there. Other than that, they did not return it to 100% factory look... neither in the inside or out, but IMO they were making a statement..... also..... they claimed to have improved performance.

I think it looks good and if someone wants the spirit of an F40, in a car with an F40 vin #..... that might be a good bargain and looks great, then this is one hell of an option. If they want a Ferrari perfect concourse car..... need to look elsewhere.

14. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Hopefully a good bargain. The current market may bring top F40 prices from a salvage/rebuilt title F40.

15. DerkPerk

DerkPerk Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    The damage indicated is from the 2011 crash, before GMG fixed it. From what I can tell, no current damage other than the couple scrapes shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Frame appeared to be repaired properly, but I saw the car in person at Barrett and the cosmetics were cobbled together and poorly done. Paint sucked, things didn't fit properly, and the rice rocket headlights, chrome trim, wheels, and red paint look awful. To me the car was bastardized. If that's the statement they were looking to make, they achieved it perfectly.

308 milano likes this.
  17. Metastable

So what you are saying is “they bastardized the looks of the car, or the final finish was halfassed”...... when we are talking about a vehicle that has been in an accident, I think we need to distinguish between the looks and the integrity of the vehicle. In this case, I think the integrity seems to be good, the looks.... that is a personal taste.

I am sure many folks will agree with you on the finish of the vehicle, and not like it. There are others that will like it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Even Half of market value would be a favor
    That car has been to hell and back!

Its a tattooed tramp stamp salvage title. Scarred deep from hard hits and mileage discrepancy on top of hurry up n get er done smoke and mirrors game show circus rebuild.
    Teen age Murdered black out aftermarket half ass “slap a vent in the holes instead of flip up lights” fisheye drip n sag paint and hang ten bodywork then whored out by a scam weasel pimp till wearing a condom is required to drive it rattle trap.

I want it.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a famous car regardless of the title. I think any car guy who hasn't lived under a rock knows this car.

20. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Same. If a car is a flawless, pristine example, I'm not interested. Bring me the half priced trainwrecks that I'll regret buying later.

21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'd rock it.

In my opinion, if a salvage title car has been brought back to correct spec, there's no difference in that and doing a field find restoration. (some of the late 60's chargers they're restoring now are bordering on insane)

To each their own.

sjd

galt and daytona355 like this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd buy it and turn it into a dedicated track car with LM body work...although I wouldn't call it an LM. ;)

Jakuzzi likes this.