Drove a 488 on track - a bit dissapointed | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Drove a 488 on track - a bit dissapointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speedsport, Jan 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Keep in mind that is the "legit" driver's training program for racing/track days. These are not the same as the Porsche track day/driver experience things that owners and businesses tend to book.

galt likes this.
  2. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    A little OT but what camera system is that?

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Definitely looks reasonably serious and in an interesting car. Culminates in a license which is nice.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Late to this party,...I’ve raced W2W LotusCup for several years and it always bothered me when other racers negatively critiqued mine or other’s driver’s skills. On race weekends, it took me quite a few practice laps to learn the track, apexes, braking points, etc....let alone hop into someone else’s car and drive full throttle.
    I commend your driving skills as you seemed to be driving 9-10/10’s on rails at times, with the tires screeching the whole time in the 488. Sure the lines weren’t perfect. But you were having fun and it was clear to me you had car control and racing experience. Add the intrusive power loss in Sport mode and things aren’t perfect. If you had ESC off, you would have probably set the track record lol.
    The 458 looked even more fun, and it sounded amazing compared to the 488, at least, in cockpit.
    Well done!

Sent from my 16M

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #55 Shadowfax, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    https://www.porsche.com/australia/motorsportandevents/experience/

All excellent and not too costly considering what you can get out of them - and great fun! You should try them all noone1. It will be much better than all the bench racing going on in your world. And it's not going to cost you 50k Eu!

PS. Plastique 999. You really shouldn't let criticism bother you like that. As the saying goes, if you cant stand the heat then don't hang around in the kitchen.;)

6. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Yes, it is sport mode. Sport mode is designed as a normal mode for street driving/everyday use. For track use there are settings above that in manettino - Race, CT off, ESC off.
    If you had given the thread title "Drove a 488 on track IN SPORT MODE - a bit dissapointed" then probably nobody would have given a s**t about that, because it sounds self explanatory. As a man with racing ambitions (and successes) you should have found a track center where they let their ambitious clients to drive at least in Race mode.

pdxjim488 and Shadowfax like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Without a shadow of a doubt.

IPO1 likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    meh who cares. He is obviously an experienced driver - he didnt like the car. No big whoop. plenty of others he can drive.

IPO1, Viperjoe and kandi like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    WELL SAID! I watched the video and I thought almost the same thing. I'm not going to cirque someone's driving based on this. And if the 488 didn't excite him, then that's fine. Its his take of a particular 488 at a particular moment in time.

Viperjoe and SoCal to az like this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Totally agree!

Usually, when someone posts disappointment about a car as widely acclaimed as 488, and provides video footage as some form of proof, it is bound to bring scrutiny.

IMHO the title was inflammatory and should have read more along the lines you have stated.

kandi likes this.
  11. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Whoops. I didn't mean to stir such a hornets nest. Honestly that wasn't my intention.

I never said I didn't like the car or that it wasn't a great car. If I could afford to trade in my 458, I would consider it. Not convinced I would yet, but I would definitely consider it.

I did a poor job articulating what was disappointing about my experience in my first post. My disappointment was a result of what I felt to be a disconnect between what I was asking the car to do, and what it was doing. Due to it's restriction of output power, it created this feeling. When I drive my 458 (or the one I rented on a track) in race of ct/off mode, when the computer intervenes, I could tell and understand what it was doing. I could comprehend what was happening because it really didn't do much other then control slip angle and either apply brake or cut power if it detected wheel spin.

On the track with the 488 in sport mode, there were times that it was so limited, I could not understand why. It wasn't like it was responding to a loss of grip, excessive slip angle, or an excessive amount of throttle. It never even allowed a single iota of grip loss on corner exit, yet it seemed to accept some amount of slip angle at corner entry and mid corner. I could not predict with any reliability when it was going to start allowing more throttle. Out of the tight corner it wasn't so bad - just plant the throttle and it would go when it wanted to. It was more an issue in the switch backs that required rhythm and timing.

I get that it was probably due to the sport mode. I just don't understand why they could not have made it more telling / predictable even in sport. That was my surprise.

kandi, IPO1, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I wouldn't worry so much. Whats done is done. We are now down to the cliff notes...

I guess had the thread had been titled as Kandi suggested with your first post establishing your driver status my postings would have been different. The title of the thread did set the stage for scrutiny and not all of us do a profile search. That said I did see the funny side to noone1 calling yours out and in some ways I thank him for that:oops:. That said, and to my own defense, even you admitted there were numerous driving errors going on, along with poorly articulating the experience with the 488's stability control systems. Anyway we live and learn and again my apologies if you will accept them.

However, if you get another opportunity to sample 488 using race or ct off, and preferably with a passenger who recognizes your driving ability, allowing you to exploit the gears and curbs, then I would love to see another vid! And FWIW sports mode was certainly a surprise for me as well.

kandi likes this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    too much torque low down will make the car understeer if driven hard upon corner entry resulting serious damage with novice hands.

that is my guess why sport mode is so intrusive.

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think it’s pretty obvious. There are three modes above sport for that, which seems plenty. The point of sport is to maximise security for the road and for those that are nervous on the track. If you are travelling at a pace that is properly quick you will be well over the envelope that sport mode was designed for. Given the experience you say you have, sport mode is simply not designed for you. Even race mode would be too limiting. CT off is the best mode in my view since it affords no traction control but leaves stability control on. Stability control is for when you really did do a stupid thing and the car detects inputs and behaviour that are clearly erroneous.

kandi and Shadowfax like this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Ct off cuts and brakes for driver and make driver thinks he does the work.
    Braking each wheel before spin angle is nice safty net but cutting power ruins it all.

Just computer doing the work.

So yeah.. thanks but no thanks :)

But it surely will help grip drivers not sliders like me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When will posters learn- If you are new to this forum and your first post even hints at negativity about anything Ferrari, expect to initially be attacked personally followed by a myriad of excuses to explain your findings.