Very Odd VIN Number | FerrariChat

Very Odd VIN Number

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Jan 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    It's probably a euro(other) version that never had a real US 17-digit VIN, and they just made one up for the US paperwork. Was/is it an imported car? Is it carbed or injected (i.e., is "1981" the model year or just the year of importation)? Any corresponding labeling in the door jamb? Is it "perfect" US version emission-wise in the engine bay?

3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Steve, it is a US GTSi with the big heavy bumpers and was originally sold at F of Beverly Hills. I’ve ask him to send me pic of the plate on the door jamb with the S/N and Production date, is there anything else we need from my friend?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I would check the number stamped on the frame in the engine bay.

miketuason likes this.
  5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One other possibility might be squeaking a car thru just before the 17-digit VIN was required. The online sources say the US NHTSA required the 17-digit VIN starting in 1981, but maybe a 1981 sold in late 1980? Just a thought...
    Using the VIN decoders, you could construct the technically correct 17-digit VIN for a US 308GTSi 1981 model year for that SN chassis, and then search the internet?

LARRYH and miketuason like this.
  6. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Interesting. I have a 1979 Porsche 911 and the last 4 are 1979.

miketuason likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That would be my guess also, because the chassis number (# 35845) falls towards the end of the period where Ferrari was introducing the 17 digit VIN for EURO 308s; (almost) all the carbed 308s didn't have one, including the very last cars which are in the 34xxx range.
    (the "(almost) is for the exception, as said many times, of the last dozen or so Right Hand Drive carbed GTBs for the UK, which were the first euro cars of the 308 series to have 17 digit VIN; as did the last dozen or so of RHD 308GT4, which, furthermore are the only cars in the world to have their VIN starting with the famous "ZDF" letters, not "ZFF", showing that they were from a distinct brand, that is: "Dino")

But that being said...it's nevertheless slightly odd, because my understanding, until this car that is, was that all "2-valve injected" had a full "standard" 17-digit VIN (by standard, I mean one starting by "ZFF"). The use of the full 17 digit VIN started for 308s with the first 2-valve injected, which was a US car, and started in the 31xxx series if my memory, etc...It started earlier at Ferrari, with the "400", again if my memory, etc...
    So it's the first occurrence for me of a "2-valve injected" not having a standard 17-position VIN (= starting with "ZFF"); considering that the last carbed cars in the 34xxx didn't have one, it would be coherent with the period of change, but slightly surprising.
    But again: never say never with Ferrari, especially for the year 1980 production (= calendar year: Jan 1st to Dec 31st), which is difficult to decipher.

I absolutely concur with "Thorn" above: picture of the number punched on the chassis bar in the engine compartment, please...

Rgds

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I ran into this when I brought my first 5 digit VIN Ferrari to Texas.

The State Handbook at the Tax Office was "looking for" the Model Designation, to begin the VIN!
    That's what we see here.....
    As my cars had never been previously titled that way, a three day comedy began that included a Police Department confirmation of the stamped VIN

1981 was indeed that advent of the modern VIN system, but as we see, that one does not comply with that.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "2B, or not 2B, that is the question....."

Someone was having fun that day......

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My Scirocco was built May 1980 and does not have the 17 character VIN.

11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    2B in that position would be consistent with a Euro 308 GTSi

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    miketuason likes this.
  14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 - that 17-digit VIN decodes perfectly as a 1981 GTSi US version.

miketuason likes this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah...yes.....

Only my experience with Texas would have supported the change to put the "model" there....I resisted, and kept my 5 digit VIN!

And met some nice guys at HPD Auto Theft, which might be handy some day.

16. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy

17. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I was a European new motorcycle and used car dealer in California from 1981 through 2002. The 17 digit VIN program started in 1980, but small volume manufacturers did not have to comply until 1983. There were some "very late 1982" new vehicles registered for a number of years. Since the new 17 digit VIN contained check digits for comformance with emissions and safety standards, there were those creative souls who could create serial numbers that passed the DMV checks, although later checks could invalidate a previous registration.

miketuason likes this.