What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Posted in my prior comment, the Pista is a great car, just that it's not what some expected given the massive leap in price. There are reviews out there, albeit a few, that it wasn't as expected, whereas the 458 Speciale was an overwhelming success across the board. In the end, what matters most is what the actual owner thinks.

If you truly read my prior posts, you will see that not only am I a 488 owner, but IMO it's the best product range from Ferrari and other brands, not even close. Pista allocation will be coming towards the tail end, but the massive bump in price from the GTB, which is well optioned to begin with, is something I'm not used to, the 458 Speciale didn't have such a bump and have no intention of ordering a low spec Pista.

Why on earth do you think I debunked the "Must buy a Lusso/Portofino/flavor of the month" from dealers? I work with one of the largest privately held dealership groups in the nation, so identifying games is easy. I got flamed numerous times for it, which happens in an internet forum. People, including OP, need to be patient when asking for such a high demand car along with sufficient purchase history with their dealer.

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #77 Lukeylikey, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    I’ve never been sure your line of argument is fully based in fact. Just because you work in the industry (as I do) does not give you a perfect insight into the way Ferrari works, which is really quite different to the rest of the industry anyway. Ferrari allocating desirable cars to VIP customers is something that has been going on for a long time and is not really up for debate. Does purchasing a Lusso help you to become a VIP customer or is it just a ‘dealer game’? You actually cannot know that, as I cannot fully know the opposite. I believe the former you believe the latter, that’s all - you didn’t debunk anything. And there is no ‘flaming’ going on, just a difference of opinion on a forum (shock).

As for the Pista. I don’t think many customers will be be disappointed, in fact probably only a very few and maybe none. Some journalists have given the Pista a lesser place in their COTY than the Speciale, some higher. That doesn’t mean they disliked the car. What they seem to dislike is the need for so much power, a common (trendy?!) line for journalists to take (i.e. you gain power but sacrifice fun....). Maybe we can blame McLaren for that who, probably sensibly, decided that they needed to beat Ferrari in the power stakes and therefore escalate the power war. But let’s face it, journalists’ comparisons are interesting but not to be taken out of context.

I can’t speak for US pricing but maybe you could do the same exercise - this is the UK;

360-CS, £101k-£133k (32%)
    430-Scud, £117k-£173k (48%)
    458-Speciale, £170-£208k (22%)
    488-Pista, £183-£251k (37%)

Pista is actually not even the most comparatively expensive of the four cars in the lineage, after the Speciale which was a comparative bargain and similar to the CS which was the first one. Scud was actually the most ambitiously priced. So the conclusion for the UK has to be that the Pista’s pricing reflects the performance advantage and work that has gone into its design and sits towards the middle of their historic pricing band - fair but not aggressive pricing.

As for your constant advice for people to “wait and they will become freely available” I would suggest you are taking a risk there. It may be correct but you cannot know and if Geneva shows a face lifted 488 I think you will be proved wrong. And those who took your advice may well end up being grumpy.

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #78 BarryK, Jan 28, 2019
    Thank you for the philosophy lecture on facts.

Now, could you please explain to us how you know for a fact as you claim that probably only a few will be disappointed ?

To me it seems no more a "fact" than @boobernackle claiming that "wait and they will become freely available".

Shadowfax likes this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Am I the only one who feels all of this: allocation games, more horsepower, limited not limited, alcantera or leather, what color you get, CF or little CF, does it go 212 or 208, 0-62 in 2.9 or 2.7, blah blah blah...is all becoming a big yawn?

Xrayv8, tomc and SoCal to az like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My take; Different markets different outcomes. Also depends on msrp to begin with. Out here msrp is already very high so the chance to make profit is small in today's very weak market. Pista by rights should hold up well in comparison to the regular versions and I expect future pricing to remain governed by mileage, spec, supply and demand as per usual.

I plan using mine and don't expect to get back what I paid for it if/when I ever decide to sell. Those who buy Pista expecting the whole exercise to be no cost or, to make a profit, will have to park their car up or barely use it, and are only robbing themselves and in that situation I don't know why people buy cars like this as there are better ways to make money. But there will always be speculators on any new special model as there will be wingers who can't get one and want to make out those who did are paying too much. Pretty standard. Those waiting around hoping for a bargain - good luck! And, if/when that time presents most original Pista owners won't care as they have had their share of fun at the right end of the stick and are ready for the next journey.

Bundy and 09Scuderia like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Adjusting for the fact that most of you guys dont keep your cars for more than 3 years we are all wasting brain cells. If you truly love a car and it’s that spectacular you hold it for 10 20 years or forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #82 Shadowfax, Jan 28, 2019
    I can't answer for everyone but going by the mileage I see on most Speciales for sale it does seem usage is generally very low on these types of cars, so would agree in that sense why not hold for 10 years or more if it's so great or such great property vs the newer car.

For me it will come down to how many miles I put on mine over the course of a 3 to 4 year period. I find with cars like this there is always a time to own and a time to sell when the mileage gets up above 20 - 30k and the warranty is done...unless the car shoots up in value regardless of the mileage! Then why not - leave it in the stable - pasture of sorts.

But for all of that there is nothing worse than having to wait around holding out for a bargain in hope of proving a point. Life's short.

Redrrari, dmark1 and 09Scuderia like this.
  8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

I'll trade you my Pista for it LOL....

Sincerely once you have the F40, I think you've reached " the top of the mountain". Congratulations!

Thecadster and 09Scuderia like this.
  9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Pure speculation. How do you know they won't begin producing the "new car" to pick up that volume this summer ?(which is when production is planned). My dealer is telling me Pista production will be "in the same area numbers wise" as the Speciale. But who knows?

I, for one, think its the baddest looking machine to come out of Marinello in a long long time. And THATS all that matters (to me).

Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha. for me the f40 was the pinnacle and no other car will match that feeling...hard to get really excited about others...

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Read his post. I think it delineates it very clearly. How many other Ferraris out there have TITANIUM CONNECTING RODS? Thats just a start.

Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Fair enough.

Looking forward to your garage change out with Pista and Perf Spi. Hard to go wrong with that selection--wait has to be killing you.

13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I held my Speciale for 4.5 years which is a record for me. I truly thought I would keep it forever until I saw the Pista with my own eyes.

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

No kidding. Sold off the Speciale to make room now I am stuck with a G wagon and a lot of empty garage space. Time feels slower than it did when I was in grade school lol.

09Scuderia and IPO1 like this.
  15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    uhm....then don't read the thread bub.

Shadowfax and 09Scuderia like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so back to the OP if you have a hundred million in the bank any amount is just fine. if your goal is to lose as little as possible then you shld try and stay very close to msrp

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The one thing I personally dislike about the pista that it looks maybe too conservative and maybe time to revamp the design. Still An amazing car. My friend got a 720s instead; similar performance for less. Let’s see how it hold its value though.

IPO1 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen!!

19. Natkingcolebasket69

OP has disappeared;) I’m sure he is doing wonderful as he had started a thread a few years back how he was a chase private client and so forth ;)

20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    720 is not a limited production car like Pista...so resale will be in line w/ regular 488.

I do have to agree with lines and looks of 720 which are jaw dropping--I know Mark--gasp :) (albeit I have not seen Pista in person).

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Wait till you do......its epic.

Shadowfax likes this.
  22. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    That hood area looks pretty damn cool.

Look forward to seeing one in person--hurry up and get yours so I can come see it in Dallas. I'll bring the 'flat and ugly' 720 :p

23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ok but I'm not racing you. I'd rather hold the opinion that mine is faster than possibly be proven wrong :D

IPO1 likes this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    What I meant to say was the following...”I don’t think many customers will be be disappointed, in fact I think probably only a very few and maybe none”. My whole post was about none of us knowing certain facts yet, despite various people posting negative opinion as though it was fact. And you choose a poor phrasing of English, which admittedly can be read as though it stands in contrast to the whole of the rest of my post, and assume that I am merely doing the same thing as I am criticising? There is way too much conjecture posted as fact. And that is probably the most reliable fact of all.

09Scuderia likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Theres nothing wrong with the car. The disappointment will only come if the car depreciates and trades like a regular production car. If that happens u will see who the true enthusiasts are.