Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles | FerrariChat

Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
  2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Not at all, cars being driven have way less issues (and known things taken care already) than garage queens. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

550nitis and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. mmarksx19

mmarksx19 Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    If you are buying it to use and enjoy then go for iy. As mentioned, with a good history it will probably be more reliable than something untouched for 300 days of the year.

If you are buying it as an investment then mileage is everything so walk away.

I bought my 360 with over 60000 miles on it. I don't worry about using it and adding miles, it has been utterly reliable and it cost me a lot less than the same car with 30000 miles on it which means I have more money to enjoy it!

Sent from my BBF100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I just switch my 360 taillights to black also makes it pop on the red.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    thank you. not even thinking of investment. in fact if i loose 20k in the next 4-5 years im totally fine with it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I wouldn’t be worried at all about that car if it’s been properly maintained. I would just recommend a PPI. I have 35k on mine and it has been amazing put 8 on it just these past two years. The more they are driven the better they generally are maintenance wise. Curious to what a 50k mike car is fetching now a days.

7. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Great spec, agree with others on driven vs garage queens. I recently bought my car with only 7200mi and it still needed lots of little but expensive things done. Plus the manifolds are original, tires are old, buttons are sticky...all the usual things that your 50k mi car will probably have taken care of already- and at a lower cost to buy!

8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    High mileage cars will have parts that wear out which is expected. However based on how the sub-woofer was installed, it shows a lack of regard which would be concerning.. Do you have all the service records? If you do then I wouldn't worry too much otherwise this could turn out to be an expensive car..

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Personally 50k miles isn’t a dealbreaker for me, if anything it’s more a plus. Assuming a ppi , from a reputable shop, doesn’t show anything out of the ordinary I’d sure consider it if it’s priced accordingly. Driven this much you can assume nearly all gremlins are worked out and you can put more miles on it without too much fear. Just be prepared for mileage related repairs. I honestly usually skip over cars that are low miles when browsing. Of course unless there is just some amazing deal (I know a real fantasy) I’ve already decided on a newer model purchase likely a California or an FF. But I’m still in love with the looks of both the 360 and the F430. I just wish there was as much passenger room in these cars as there is in the 458/488.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just buy it at the right price and dont start trying to make it perfect. you shld be fine mechanically.

figure out which parts wld be impacted by higher miles and inspect them closely or budget to replace.

ar4me, AClark and Texas Forever like this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As others have mentioned, miles alone are not a deal breaker.

FWIW , you can still get New Power Warranty until you hit 56,000 miles.
    For piece of mind, though I WOULD suggest having a Ferrari service department taking a look at the car, to make sure there is nothing that would keep you from getting the New Power Warranty.

Welcome to the family , in advance !

S

ar4me and 338Lapua like this.
  12. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks guy. Let’s see how the ppi goes.

Here is the subwoofer issue. Looks good same leather (they def spent money) but I’m 6’2 and need every inch! Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    High miles shouldn't scare anybody as long as the PPI checks out fine and up-to-date with maintenance.

Salvage is scarier. :eek:

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Yes its a clean title. BTW getting the car for $75,000 plus tax. Am i getting ripped off? They would not negotiate any more. The 90% clutch life got me interested.

Or should i pay $10k more for a lower mile car? (Cant fine any decent deals!)

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good on you. I have the same mindset: mine's on 30k but will continue to rise past 50k and beyond. The whole low mileage thing is strange - why buy such a special car to keep it locked away so the next owner gets all the benefit? It's a fact the modern cars will cover the mileage, and in fact do it more reliably than a less used example.

ryalex likes this.
  16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Service records, service records, service records. Keep in mind that a PPI is only as good as the person doing it. When I bought my 430, I had Boardwalk do the PPI and they really went over the car. As others have said, make sure to check the items that are prone to issues, such as ball joints, exhaust manifolds, broken tail lights, wobbly side mirrors, F1 actuator, etc. Also be sure that all the necessary info is with the car (extra keys, code card, manuals, etc.).

AClark and VAF84 like this.
  17. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well, no unless......... unless could mean a lot of things. When you start looking at cars you have to assemble as much of the whole picture you can. I’ve heard of guys buying exotics at a low price and not having to invest much more in repairs and had trouble free ownership. Then there are the guys who bought low and sent nearly as much as they paid for the car to repair it. Then there are the guys who buy at a lower price and have to put some into the car as issues arise. In my mind you should hope for the first example, expect the last and hope the second doesn’t happen.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Drive it 20,000 miles, have the time of your life, and sell it for $70,000 when you want a newer one.

19. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    that was what i was thinking. But could a 70k mile f430 drop to 50k or under? Thats the ONLY thing holding me back (im actually prepared for this, but just need some opinions from you f430 gurus!)

20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Maybe for trade in value, I think you'd still be mid 60s at worst if you kept the condition decent. You'll lose less on it than a new Hyundai Sonata.

21. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    thanks. yes i keep my cars is GREAT condition.

OK might be a purchase i need to go ahead with then.

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Are you ready to become "The Ferrari Guy" among your friends and family? ;):cool:

Three years in, my friends (whose SUVs all cost more) still introduce me to strangers as "Ryan, Who Has a Ferrari."*

*I've considered getting a Gallardo or McLaren 12C in the last while and I am somewhat stuck now because now I have a reputation to uphold!!

Jtatt, Zed82 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  23. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    LOL. too funny!!

24. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    High mileage shouldn't be an issue if the car was maintained. A PPI is nice but the headers, tail lights and a bunch of other stuff will have to be addressed at some point. I have replaced the Mk 2 headers on my 430 with Fabspeed headers and blankets. The tail lights have been reinforced with an aftermarket kit and hydraulic lines for the E diff have been fixed, the air conditioning compressor rebuilt, etc. My car has 16,000 miles on it. I guess the point is whether you have a thorough PPI or not, you will have to address unexpected problems that pop up from time to time. A thorough PPI of my ride rendered my car in great shape, but things started happening soon after I bought it. This is part of the costs of owning one of these cars. By the way, it is totally worth it in my opinion. The car brings a lot of joy. I walk out to the garage just to grab a look every once in a while. I contemplate having a more reliable sports car like a Porsche and I totally respect what a wonderful car that is, but the heart is involved with a Ferrari. With a Porsche the head is mostly involved!

Pedro MD and CarAholic like this.
  25. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    My point in my previous post exactly. The ppi should catch any issues the car currently has. Then armed with what you know is wrong having an understanding of what will go wrong gives you a good insight what you will pay, then add in unexpected issues, because even though it was a high production model in Ferrari standards it’s still manufactured in relatively low quantity.

The price the op quoted isn’t too bad, actually kinda low so I’d expect to see some items on the ppi. Just depends on what those items are the really determines the actual “cost”. But there is no guarantee that the op wouldn’t buy something for 20k more and not have some of the same issues either such as cracked headers, engine mount issues, common F1 related issues, various suspension bushings ect. It all boils down to ppi report,maintenance history, collision/paint repair issues. I wouldn’t expect the car to go down a whole lot more considering I’ve seen cars with 70k+ miles for sale recently for at or more money.