Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am a Ferrari die-hard, but a N/A V12 always beats a V8 TT...

Loxo, zakeen, 09Scuderia and 2 others like this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #27 Caeruleus11, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    I would not get something based on "last of" - because the things that make the "last of" endearing can change. And also, this focuses on other people's opinions. Rather, get it because it's the "first of" what you want. If that is the Lamborghini, then that is a really amazing car, no doubts. You're not crazy. They are both hot sports cars. I agree with @Lukeylikey , you shouldn't have to apologize for linking a car from another brand. There are some really fantastic choices out there. It's cliché, but the key is to make the right choice for you.

Since others are chiming in with their choices, I would go with the Pista. Difficult as it is to resist the NA V12, I don't care for the Aventador's looks.

sampelligrino, F12JAJ and Thecadster like this.
  3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you like the SVJ more than get it. Personally as a car, I actually prefer the SVJ.

As an investment, I think they will do very similarly in the short term. Both seem to be produced in high quantities relative to the standard model. Don’t be fooled by the “limited quantities” of the SVJ. It’s a very high limit that if reached, would mean a big percentage of all aventadors sold will be SVJ. I believe when the SV was released, 1/4 of all aventador variants were an SV.

Remember that they sell far less Aventadors than they do 488.

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Tons of well thought out advice here. The fact that I can HAVE an SVJ does, in fact, play a roll in my interest. No doubt the SVJ comes with a dizzying array of polarizing attributes. Quintessential supercar road presence with proper Lamborghini doors and a screaming NA V12, along with impossible visibility, unfortunate curb weight issues, 8 year old platform (albeit one that that they wrung out every last bit of performance). For me, the lack a DCT is a feature, not a bug, at least for this type of car (raw, menacing, etc). I love the most everything about the car. Even the features that most consider to be a negative. Still not sure how I land. Have to make a final decision tomorrow morning before they call the next name on the list.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Have not driven an SVJ. Hard to define “drive as well”. The HP is easy to drive and super nimble. I can’t imagine the SVJ to be either of those. However, I can picture the SVJ perhaps tugging harder on the emotions with more drama, more sensory overload, and much more pucker factor.

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I neglected to mention this, and it’s a real issue, I am 6’6” and I don’t fit comfortably in a full size truck, much less these cars that are really designed for 5’8” 140lb racers. However, I have grown accustomed to shoehorning myself into the cars and making do. That said, the Aventador makes my HP and F12 seem like Cadillacs by comparison. Truthfully, were it not for this, I likely would have pulled the trigger immediately.

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So this touches on a key point for me, the “artistic masterpiece” factor. I find it be to be a work of art. I’m a weirdo. I often sit in my garage and stare at my cars. I can imagine staring at the SVJ for hours and hours and hours with no concern of losing that sensation of total enchantment.

Kudos, Loxo, sampelligrino and 5 others like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hows the ride in the Performante? I could squeeze in there but it wasn't comfortable and would get old real fast which is why I ended up getting a 720 instead.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I actually find the HP comfortable-ish. I am balanced torso to legs and control my body like a Cirque Du Soleil athlete to find just the right positioning. When we are as big as us, you kind of sign up for the bad to go along with the good. Ultimately, I just love cars and driving so much that I reduce the comfort variable to least important of all the key factors.

Coincid and SoCal to az like this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    By the way, I have strongly considered keeping the HP to go along with my 812 (when it arrives and replaces the F12), and then adding a 720. The price walk from HP to SVJ would more than accommodate that maneuver. I also thought about a 2005/2006 Ford GT. Again, looking for diversity of driver experience and vehicles that complement each other.

11. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Normally I’d say you’re safer with the Ferrari (Pista). However, there is so much going on right now with Ferrari changing their product lines and cycles and the genesis of hybrid. Not to mention there will be at least 3000 Pista coupes not counting spiders.

Lamborghini is also in the midst of a major overhaul ( turbos and hybrids). If you are buying the car to enjoy then pick the one that you are most excited about and enjoy driving. However, if you are buying as an investment or to mitigate losses I’d say buy neither. For what it’s worth I’ve driven the Avenrador S and although fun it’s too big and dated and the single clutch trans is a huge impediment imo. I’m sure the SVJ is better but I’m still not sold. It’s really a show car not a drivers car. I’ve owned a Performante and thought it was fantastic. Good luck with your decision...

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t know that there is a wrong decision here for you as all of the cars you are considering are fantastic. I agree with howydo in that I don’t think any of these are investments. If it’s my money- personally I’d take a 300k performante and a 300k 720 instead of a 600k SVJ to complement your 812.

I mean that is a hell of a garage! You have all the brands covered with Ferrari, Lamborghini and Mclaren. Only thing missing is a 2rs Porsche.

Good luck!

Thecadster likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    At 6’1” the Perf Spider is passable, but uncomfortable after 15 minutes. Maybe less.
    I’ve spent time in the AVs and soon in SVJ...driving dynamics lag the Perf. But not a better baller car sub $1M.
    Depends what you want.
    Not a F in the lineup that I find interesting at the moment. Seems sad when the Lusso is the best designed!

Thecadster and Ash Patel like this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Since you asked about value of these cars in the future, I will say this: SVJ you will Definitely lose $ if you own it over a year. Modern Lambos don’t hold value nearly as well as Ferrari’s.
    How do I know? I was in the first delivery of the HP in the U.S. in Oct 2017, thanks to a wonderful dealer. All the rave, setting the Nurburgring record, invention of the ALA...all the hype. Somewhat limited production 2 year run, etc.
    After a year of ownership, I have the car on consignment, still trying to sell it and will lose over 10% but I had my fun. Great car, but a little too electric and numb for me. Traded for Speciale.
    SLDriver is right on the $. I had first round deposit on SVJ. Went to the unveiling in Monterey last August and when they announced 900 coupes, I pulled out - that’s waayy more than SV’s and way wayyyy more than HP’s. It WILL depreciate.
    I can’t comment on the Pistas, but I don’t get how they are now asking $150-200k over sticker, perhaps that’s the Ferrari Midas touch.
    Aside from value, drive what you enjoy. No doubt Lambos have the most awesome presence, thus I’ll keep my MurcieSV. But I love the nimble Speciale and 16M....would love to try a Pista some day.

Sent from my 16M

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I too was an early HP recipient, Nov 17. Yesterday, I put some feelers out on market value and was kind of disappointed. Despite only between 2-3 dozen for sale nationally, the car has slipped a little more than I expected. I guess that just reflects a crazy market where more cool cars are chasing fewer interested buyers. My original strategy on the HP was buy and hold forever as my “last of the NA V10” and the only reason why value is even mildly relevant is in light of this new SVJ conundrum. It’s also worth mentioning that it looks increasingly likely that the HP may well also end up being “best of breed NA V10”. Somewhat small, quick build run too. https://carbuzz.com/news/hardcore-lamborghini-huracan-superleggera-isn-t-happening

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Thanks for posting link, I was wondering if they were going to come out with SL. Shame they didn't--with Evo refresh I was hoping they would. I still think HP is an amazing car and will be interesting what Lambo does in future. I had HP on order for April delivery, but went a different direction as I could not wait.

As to depreciation, it always (for me) comes back to buying right on the front end. If you pay MSRP, you will need a larger tube of KY on exit.

IF I had a ton of FU money, SVJ would be in garage--just a beast in so many ways.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SVJ is like the Ed Hardy of Aventadors.

I personally don't like the looks of the SV models and prefer the clean lines of the standard ones. They looks like too much pointless **** tacked on. Splitters and diffuser vanes everywhere. Why buy a the track version of a car that wasn't made to be a good track car? It's just a giant compromise. The Aventador is one of the most amazing road car designs in decades. Let it be a good car -- what it excels at.

$10 says the SVJ way underperforms on the track, just like the SV did before it. SV was under 7mins at the Ring, yet it didn't perform well in any lap tests that I'm aware of.

I'd save the $600K and buy a nice used 2013 Aventador and a 720S, or a Huracan Evo and a 720S, or really any pair of exotics. You could probably even get a GT3, Huracan Evo, and a 720S for the price of an SVJ. I know what I'd rather have...

dhari likes this.
  18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    SVJ looks better then the Pista but I'm guessing the Pista outperforms it big time.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ring record holder.

Loxo, Thecadster and IPO1 like this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    All of these cars only cost you money, believe me :)

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, but it was slower than even a 488 or 675LT is pretty much every test. Ring car was a... ringer. I'm sure the SVJ ring car was also not a standard car.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nope.

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Keep the Performante and work to get the Pista.

Aventador is too big for my taste.

Thecadster and IPO1 like this.
  24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I wouldn't be 100% sure on the above. Maybe no SL but maybe something far more interesting and limited :). Either way hold onto your HP as if my theory Is wrong u will have the "best of breed" NA V10.

BTW: I also passed on SVJ as I had the chance to drive a friends SV and I had my GT3RS at the time. After 30 minutes on twisty country roads in the SV I wanted my 3RS back badly!!

Thecadster likes this.
  25. I’m guessing there will be a Huracan Evo Performante of some sort.