250 GT PF, VIN #3217 | FerrariChat

250 GT PF, VIN #3217

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Everett B Carson, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Everett B Carson

Feb 2, 2019
    Harpswell, Maine
    Full Name:
    Everett B Carson
    I'm curious, Mr. Massini--have heard your name for many years. I am the third owner of Serial # 3217 (GTPF), which was originally sold by the Ferrari dealer in Paris to a Brazillian businessman. He never paid the luxury tax, then returned the car to that dealer (have the dealer's name on my 1974 bill of sale from the second owner, a Mr. Carroll W. Wilson). Wilson bought the car in 1966 and brought it back to the states. It remains in very good original condition, and is a joy to drive. My question: Is it possible to find the name of the first owner? The original export plate is still mounted on the car. Hope this note reaches you--I just joined this forum. Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308 and JL350 like this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mr Carson:
    Re 3217 GT:
    Who changed the yellow headlights (from France) to white ones?
    And what happened to the 1964 Massachusetts license plates "523 176"?

Marcel Massini

3. Everett B Carson

Feb 2, 2019
    Harpswell, Maine
    Full Name:
    Everett B Carson
    Hello, Mr. Massini. Good questions, which I cannot answer. This car was advertised for sale in the Sunday NYT in February, 1974. The ad, which I still have, read simply, "1962 Ferrari convertible, the best anywhere,..." with a Virginia (703) phone number. Having grown up in Virginia, I was curious--never dreaming that I would actually buy the car. The phone number belonged to Carroll Wilson's son. The car was located in Seekonk, Mass., and I lived in Maine, so I arranged to go see it.
    Mr. Wilson was a perfect gentleman (and professor at M.I.T), who had decided to buy a Bentley--thus was selling the cabriolet. During the eight years he had owned and driven it in the U.S, the car had been serviced by Libero Gerardi, of Gerardi International Motorcars. At Mr. Wilson's suggestion, I called Mr. Gerardi to ask about the car. He simply said," You will never find a better one." On March 16th, I hitch-hiked from Maine to Providence, and picked up the car from Mr. Gerardi's shop. Unimaginable today, I did this at Mr. Wilson's request--even though I had not yet purchased the car. I delivered the car and a cashier's check, picked up the bill of sale, and drove the car back to Maine that night.
    Mr. Wilson must have swapped out the yellow headlights. And, as he did not buy the car until 1966 (in Paris), I do not know about any Massachusetts plates. I love having the original French export plate mounted on the front bumper. During my first few years with the car, Maine police would occasionally stop me and insist that a Maine plate be put there instead. But, after some conversation and an informal introduction to the Ferrari (including a view of the 300 kmh speedometer, to which one young state police officer responded: "Is that miles an hour?!), they let me go.
    Mr. Wilson repainted the car in a silver gray, as I am sure you have noted, when it arrived here in 1966. The dash board painted finish is still the original gray. Francois Sicard of Ridgefield, CT. rebuilt the engine about 20 years ago. There have been other repairs, of course, along the way--but the originality is very much there. The car has traveled 115,000 km.
    About 10 years ago, I drove the Ferrari to Limerock for the Labor Day vintage races. Racing a Lola was one Paul Wilson, and we began talking in the paddock. I asked if he was related to Carroll Wilson. "Yes," he replied, "He was my father. Why do you ask?" I told him about buying the car many years before. He then told me that other potential buyers had offered more money for the car, but that his father had decided to sell it to me "because I would give it the best home." Not many people do business that way any more....
    I'm still wondering if there is a way to find the name of the first owner. This is the single Ferrari I have owned, or will own--so it would be fun to know its history from 1962-66.
    Hope our paths will cross one day
    Brownie Carson

4re308, 19633500GT, sixcarbs and 8 others like this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing your very interesting and unusual story.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Mr. Carson, thank you for sharing.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you very much, Mr. Carson.
    Fascinating news.
    The original owner of 3217 GT was a Mr. Shaven.
    3217 GT was born like this:
    Original exterior color: Grigio Conchiglia Italver 18933 M.
    Original interior color: Vinyl & Leather Nero VM 8500.
    Pininfarina Body #29961.
    It is #161 of the total of 200 units built.
    24 November 1961 is the date when the chassis frame entered Carrozzeria Pininfarina in Torino.
    15 January 1962 is the date when Carrozzeria Pininfarina completed the bodywork.
    I do have a period color photo showing 3217 GT at Bridgehampton in the spectator car park and it wears a 1964 Massachusetts license plate "523 176".
    Due to copyright issues I can not post this photo here. The car clearly has the yellow headlights. It also has a radio antenna on the right front fender. Plus a yellow sticker (in the size of a cigarette pack) on the bottom right of the windscreen (passenger side). Probably an insurance or registration sticker, I assume. I cannot read the details.

Marcel Massini

4re308, TerryG!, sixcarbs and 4 others like this.
  7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Maybe the Mass plates are from 1966, that's when 3217 was seen on the track in Bridgehampton taking part in some sort of Ferrari get-together being arranged.

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I met Paul Wilson around 1994. He had a 1953 Aston Martin for sale in Hemmings and I swapped my Jaguar E-Type for his Aston. A few years later, he asked me to go look at a Lola fro him which was a few miles from my house. The entire car was just parts neatly covering a 20x20 foot area over the seller's shop floor. Paul then came with a U-Haul truck and took the Lola back to VA.

Paul always wanted an ala-Figoni teardrop car but his time had come and gone, the cars were just too expensive. He had a complete 6C2500 chassis so he decided to build his own teardrop on this chassis from scratch (by his own hands) . The end result was nothing short of amazing for a college professor.

john

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308, johnei, Christian.Fr and 2 others like this.
  9. Everett B Carson

Feb 2, 2019
    Harpswell, Maine
    Full Name:
    Everett B Carson
    Thank you, Marcel M. and John V. Apologies for slow response--a busy spring! Great to have the name of the original owner. My car has the electric radio antenna on the driver's side rear fender--it rises when I turn on the original (seems) 3-band radio, which still works).

I just returned from a trip to Lexington, Virginia, where I grew up, and visited Paul Wilson in Fairfield. He is still restoring and racing vintage sports cars, and recently completed restoration of a lovely 1956 AC Bristol. He has searched for the history of that car, which apparently started its road-going life in Argentina. The Alpha pictured above is beautiful--completely hand-crafted body of Paul's design. And the Lola rests near a '54 XK120 roadster, an original 1913/14 Regal Underslung, and several other fascinating cars. No Ferrari there now, but he remembers 3217 fondly.

The team at RPM in Vermont just installed a new master brake booster in my car--now for the "driving season!"

375+ likes this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mr. Carson, what a great story. The world is indeed tiny.

In reference to Mr. Massini's reply regarding Vincenzo Malagò, the Ferrari dealer, (now Samocar) he was our neighbour in Rome,
    way back then and as kids, got driven (flown) when Rome had no traffic in some great cars, and did he have access to them!
    I have great memories of him. Lovely man.

Regards, Alberto

375+ likes this.
  11. VinnieVintage

VinnieVintage Rookie

Oct 31, 2018
    Hello, Mr Carson.

Wow - fantastic car. Thank you for sharing.

I used to spend time on Bailey Island (most down at Cook's). I wish I had seen your car.

I've seen a few newer Ferraris in the greater Portland area over the years, but nothing as stunning as your car.

Please let me know if you ever take it to any of the car shows or rallies in Maine or Massachusetts. I would love to see it in person.

VV

12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    When I was buying cars from Roma with the help of my friend Roberto Goldoni, many of them came from Malago, as used cars.