Avante-Garde is ACES !!! | FerrariChat

Avante-Garde is ACES !!!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by kiesan, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    A brief review of my exemplary experience with the crew at Avant-Garde Collection in Portland. Whether you are buying, selling or servicing... Matt, Josh and Chris will attend to your needs in brilliant fashion.

https://www.a-gc.com/

Brief back story. I bought a weirdo 1976 euro market Porsche 930 in 2012. In period it had been converted in Germany by Kremer to resemble a 935 racing car. Over the next few years I sorted it out, painted it, made it pretty nice with a lot of help from Seattle area shops. By 2016-ish fun time was over and I was ready to sell... or was I? A few half-hearted online attempts did not lead to much.

Spring 2017 a Seattle area shop made a pretty fair offer. I accepted, hands were shook, we had a deal. They stored the car for me while they got their financing in order. Days, weeks, many months went by and the deal fizzled. No hard feelings towards the Seattle shop as I later learned it was their customer leading them on.

Early 2018 I called Matt at AGC. I knew Matt because in 1998 he showed up at my house in Seattle in a Chevy pickup with a new Bimota SB6R. The Vdue I had bought from his broker friend was crap and they brought me this instead. In subsequent years I watched from afar as Matt made his way up the ranks in the Portland exotic scene. The last couple years especially as 911r (their BaT handle) has dominated the Bring a Trailer scene.

Anyway. After that call Matt and Josh arrived in a wicked cool euro spec Mercedes car carrier and off to Portland my car went. I never saw it in the flesh again 'sniff.

In quick fashion they performed an engine-out to address some niggles. The dash leather had some issues so out it came. A few other issues sorted and by late spring 2018 she was ready. I was proud to have my car showcased in a 911r BaT auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-930-turbo-carrera-7/

It even had the iconic train pictures. Alas... the auction did not go as hoped. Reserve not met at $92.5k darn it!

I was getting impatient however Matt/Josh told me to keep the faith. They were working their magic and something would come together they assured me. A couple months went by with a few interested parties but no deal. There was rumor they might be able to pull some strings and get it into the RM Sotheby's event at The Petersen Museum in December. I sure as heck don't know how to make that happen however Matt/Josh do and thats exactly what they did.

Much better results and I'm told the car is headed back to the fatherland:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ca18/the-petersen-automotive-museum-auction/lots/r0075-1976-porsche-935-gr-5-turbo-by-kremer/730901

Matt even flew down there days in advance to hold hands with an interested party. Someone else bought the car but thats the level these guys take it to.

Cannot thank AGC enough! If you're in the PacNW there is no other place to go for this sort of thing in my opinion.

f355spider likes this.
  2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Very cool car...I like the Clarion radio and phone gear. Do you know when that was added? 1980's? Neat that it was not removed.

3. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson

The car itself was remade/modded in the late 70’s. It came to the US in the mid 80’s. Unknown when the stereo and other equipment was added.

One car audiophile “expert” who looked at said it all looked late 70’s-ish fwiw.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother has done a lot with Matt and has had really good experiences. I'm thinking about asking him to find me a 911 at some point.

5. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    I was there a few days ago. He’s got a couple/3 911’s q’d up for BaT auctions. They all looked pretty swell.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm just not ready to do anything right now. Otherwise I'd be bidding on the 77 Targa that he's got up on BaT right now.

The good news about 911s is that they made a lot of them!

7. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I was at the Petersen auction, neat car and it got a lot of interest. Magnus Walker in particular was checking it out for quite a while.

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    f355spider likes this.
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    On the phone, I love it

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Website DOA Saturday pm..............

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Works fine for me just now. I was in their shop on Friday, looking at one of their cars.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just bought a 75 911S from them. It never hit BaT...

kiesan and f355spider like this.
  13. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    donv that was me speaking with Matt last Friday around lunchtime. I was there dropping off my franken-boxster 3.4 with them. I think that’s your new car on the far left of mine.

I’m sure you made a wise decision enjoy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yep, that's it! I probably overpaid a bit, but my theory is overpaying for the best is actually the cheapest in the long run.