2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc | Page 13 | FerrariChat

2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Goldilocks and Werewolf in the Ferrari Sim? Why they hiring these losers? Another nail in the 2019 effort before the season begins.

2. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    At least they have actual f1 experience. And there are also 2 other sim drivers though I don’t immediately recall the names.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Antonio Fuoco & Davide Rigon

GLS12 likes this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The usual pre-season hype. I'd like to see Max and LeClerc go at it.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I hope of Dark Red with Black Wings...

375+ and DF1 like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

State support for Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix 'not justified'

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141347/state-support-for-dutch-f1-race-not-justified

Efforts to revive the Dutch Grand Prix must be made without financial support from the country's government, which declared aiding a Formula 1 race as "neither necessary nor justified".

Leading Dutch circuits Zandvoort and Assen have both been keen to facilitate F1's return to the country, with Zandvoort securing an exclusive agreement to try to negotiate a deal with championship bosses by the end of March 2019.

The intention is to add the Dutch GP to the calendar next season, to capitalise on the popularity of Red Bull star Max Verstappen, but this will have to be achieved through independent funding.

Following an assessment of whether contributing to a commercial sporting event is "appropriate", the minister for medical care and sports in the Netherlands Bruno Bruins wrote to the Dutch parliament to indicate an F1 race would bring "considerable" economic value and benefit businesses.

However, he said: "The question is whether this justifies the use of tax resources from the [national] government.

"The government is of the opinion that this is not the case."

Bruins outlined a combination of the specific circumstances around an F1 race, the government's own sports policy and the fact this would be an annual event.

First, Bruins said that a government contribution is "neither necessary nor justified" because F1's rights are "in the hands of an American listed company", and other commercial events are organised without state support.

He added that it would give opportunities for national businesses to contribute financially and see a return on their investments, helped by a high ticket yield.

Second, Bruins claimed that an F1 race would not be "sufficiently in line with the sports policy of this administration", which includes promoting sports and physical exercise, improving children's motor skills and "make providers of sports future-proof".

Finally, he said that as an annual event it did not fit in with conditions for funding events in 2019 and '20, as this framework allows for €10million to be made available annually for one-off events.

Should Zandvoort fail in its attempt to organise a GP in May 2020, MotoGP venue Assen claims to have funding in place.

Both circuits were visited by FIA race director Charlie Whiting last year and are understood to require minimal changes to meet the necessary standard for F1.

william likes this.
  7. DF1

Racing Point confirmed for F1 season - BBC F1

Racing Point will continue as the successors to the now defunct Force India for the 2019 F1 Championship, which starts in Australia on 17 March.

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    How very Dutch...

jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes its Phillip Morrris' attempt to get people to stop customers smoking their cigarettes by vaping their IQOS tobacco sticks.

maulaf, jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep.

Annoyed that Heineken dropped out. They spend plenty of money on other Grand Prix in the world (Canada, mexico for example) but can't sponsor their home grand prix? **** them. Their beer taste of piss anyhow.

That said I do think a Grand Prix at Zandvoort will be ****, anyways. It's tighter than Hungary, shorter than hungary, and the ****ing straight is shorter than hungary. Hungary isn't exactly known for being a track overtaking is easy on...

Assen won't be any good, either. Hateful layout, as a spectator you need binoculars to see the cars....out of those 2 I'd hope for Zandvoort but I can't see it happening now.

635CSI and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I entirely agree.

Governments shouldn't support any sporting event financially with taxpayers money .

It's like subsidising Liberty with money that could be put to better use in health or education, for example.

Very Wise from the Dutch government, I thought.

12. DF1

We are not talking about Baku are we lol :) This should not at all be a surprise.....

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I suppose that for some countries it makes sense: I even didn't know were Baku is before the F1 race. But I guess that for Dutch self-promotion is not a priority. Anyway Zandvoort is outdated. Assen is great for bikes though.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I hate Hungaroring..crappy circuit!!! only decent race i ever saw thre was 1989 when mansell stuffed Senna, what a win!

don515jz and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do like the track, and pre hybrid era cars I looked forward to it. Maybe because I like it loads on sim racing, I don't know.

16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Cant resist...so what about the subs to the likes of Nissan, Airbus etc etc. jobs are jobs at the end of the day. Why one sector and not another? not to mention the Scottish (ducking really low behind something solid!) :)

17. DF1

The net total worth and tangible economic impact of Airbus or Nissan is what? -- compared to F1???

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I also liked it when i played gp (can't remenber the year...i loved to overtake on the twisty part bumping other cars, lolo, the hardest part were the first 2 turns after teh start...what a mess!!!

Bas likes this.
  19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not a fair comparison, in my book.

So, the Dutch taxpayers should contribute to the exhorbitant cost of bringing the F1circus in town for the benefit of the privileged few?
    The Dutch government might as well pour the money straight in Liberty's pockets.
    How many extra permanent jobs would that bring to Zandvoort do you think?
    Where is the morality in squandering people's taxes?

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari plans to run the new car during a filming day on Sunday (Feb. 17) at Barcelona - right before official testing begins. Haas has booked the track on Friday. There will also be some running on the day in between by another team. Don't know which though.

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    william likes this.
  22. DF1

Ferrari is likely to adopt a double-stacked exhaust system with its 2019 Formula 1 car, judging by the first images of customer team Haas's new design.

Ferrari raised eyebrows last year when it trialled a new exhaust concept at the German Grand Prix.

Rather than having the two turbo wastegate pipes exiting at the side of the main exhaust like other teams, it experimented with mounting them both on top.

Sebastian Vettel conducted tests in practice at Hockenheim, with then team-mate Kimi Raikkonen sticking to the original version.

The exhaust tests took place at the same time the team introduced a new rear-wing design, which featured an upwardly curved leading edge to the main plane, suggesting part of the motivation for the tweak was to make use of exhaust blowing of the rear wing.

Another potential reason for mounting the exhausts of top of each other would be to allow even tighter packaging of the rear bodywork to help reduce aerodynamic drag.

Ferrari was able to adopt the exhaust arrangement because of a twin-pillar rear-wing mounting - something Haas also has.

Images of Haas's 2019 F1 car clearly show the exhausts mounted on top of each other, so it would be a surprise if Ferrari's challenger does not feature a similar concept when it is unveiled next week.

Although the benefits of exhaust blowing are minimal, teams may be more tempted to pursue this idea in 2019 as they bid to recover downforce lost asa a result of new aero regulations aimed to help overtaking.

Renault was very aggressive in this area in 2018 as it angled its exhaust in a way to maximise opportunities for blowing gases over its rear wing.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141384/haas-car-hints-at-doublestacked-ferrari-exhaust

Nortonious likes this.
  23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Just had my invite to login to the launch of the new car..... I’ll be in Vegas, and likely too drunk to remember! Shame but has to be done!

375+ and Nortonious like this.
  24. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    For the right price, I'm sure you can hire an assistant to keep you on schedule and make the event, um....memorable?

daytona355 likes this.