car design thread | Page 313 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    just goes to show you:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-chicago-auto-show-best-in-show-1420757296895/

2019 Chicago Auto Show: Best in Show

By Brian Normile, Mike Hanley and Aaron Bragman

February 8, 2019

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Heavy Duty
    Cars.com photo by Christian Lantry
    The Chicago Auto Show has traditionally played second fiddle to the North American International Auto Showin Detroit the month prior — but that's all likely to change now that the Detroit show has seen its final January and is moving to June in 2020. We're not sure what that's going to mean for the 2020 Chicago show, but we're betting that it's going to mean a lot more debuts and a lot more news. But for this year, we're still seeing a handful of new models, a lot of trim packages and "anniversary editions," along with the traditional heavy focus on commercial trucks.

Related: More 2019 Chicago Auto Show Coverage

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Specs & Reviews Find a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Near You

Our pick for Best in Show isn't just the best of a meager crop of debuts — it's a significant redesign that has earned a rightful, deserved accolade. Our Cars.com Best in Show for the 2019 Chicago Auto Show is the all-new, wild-styled, impressively capable 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 heavy-duty pickup truck.

Our on-the-scene reviewers — including Brian Normile, production editor; Aaron Bragman, Detroit bureau chief; and Mike Hanley, senior research editor — surveyed the entire 2019 Chicago Auto Show scene and ultimately came to a consensus on this year's best debut. Here's what they thought about the Silverados.

Normile: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 pickups are worthy successors to what were already very good trucks. Though the grille was ... polarizing ... when teaser images were revealed, it looks much better in person. More important, its new capabilities include a (currently) class-leading 35,500-pound maximum towing capacity. As a bonus, all diesel-equipped Silverado HDs will be able to tow at least 30,000 pounds, offering buyers increased choices and reducing the likelihood that someone's going to tow something too heavy for their truck simply because they think it has the advertised maximum. The towing tech available with the Silverado HDs is remarkable — I can't wait to try out the "invisible trailer" feature. While the interior updates aren't of the same quality as the new Ram HD trucks, they're still an improvement and probably more than enough to impress and satisfy brand loyalists. And I can't get over how helpful the addition of the second access step just behind the cab will be.

Bragman: This really is the year for a bunch of new HD trucks, and the new 2020 Silverado 2500/3500 really impresses. It's all about the capabilities — the diesels can actually tow trailers heavier than I'm personally licensed to tow! The new small-block gasoline V-8 is impressive as well, and I can't wait to see what else it finds its way into. The Duramax's top 910 pounds-feet of torque isn't class-leading, but that 10-speed Allison automatic transmission can deliver all the torque to the pavement in 1st gear; that's some impressive stump-pulling ability. Yes, the styling is polarizing, but Chevy has made the truck decidedly distinctive — you can distinguish the heavy-duty from the light-duty Silverado at a quick glance. Now, GM needs to rush through an interior rethink, for while it's likely to be totally acceptable for returning customers, it's not going to win any new fans, especially from Ram. But for HD buyers, abilities matter more than amenities, and the new Silverado has those in spades.

More from Cars.com:

Hanley: The redesigned Silverado's bold, distinctive design might draw you in, but it's the truck's impressive capabilities that'll keep potential customers interested. Nearly all heavy-duty pickup owners use their truck for trailering, according to Chevrolet, and the Silverado's improvements are designed to make this task easier and safer with dramatically increased maximum trailering ratings and new camera-based trailer-monitoring technology. As the guys said, Chevrolet does need to up its interior game — particularly in the high-end High Country trim level — but this seems like less of an issue here than in the light-duty Silverado 1500. In terms of what matters most in the heavy-duty class, Chevrolet nailed it.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh yeah, side strakes! :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    tritone, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now that there is a scary photo!
    A long, long time ago.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This is biggest understatement I've seen in a very long time. "Though the grille was ... polarizing ..."

G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Polarizing; a word to use when you don’t quite know what to say.
    But I’d rather have polarizing/love/hate, than ‘it’s nice’ or just ok.

Tenney and Wade like this.
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm not polarized - :) - I think the front end is way overblown.

tritone, Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Back when GM knew what good design looked like. Cohesive, restraint, no troweled crap because they couldn't figure out what else to do. May have been a team effort but it has a single vision.

G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Front end looks like a first gen Miata.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Boomhauer, tritone, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  11. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    It's just the view (and it's red), it really doesn't.

anunakki, jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I've been thinking (scary, huh?). Here's the big difference between home and car designs. We design homes from the insides out. Cars are apparently designed from the outside in. Good home designers (and I do not include myself in this group) start with general design specs: one v two story, square footage, target market (young family, older family, empty nester) and so on. They then start drawing bubbles on butter paper to represent the rooms. The goal here is figure out how buyers will use the home, avoid wasted space like hallways, and to visualize how natural light from windows will make the rooms work. This process continues with more detail until you get to scale working drawing. It is at this point you start thinking about exterior elevations. The two biggest design issues are ugly pitched roofs that dominate the look (roofs can make a home look like it is wearing a watch cap) and garage doors. The other key is windows. Not just how many, but the variation and detail will make all the difference in the world.

The objective is to nail the husband the second he drives up. You want the house to look like a jillion dollars from the street. Then give the wife 90 seconds to go through the front door and walk straight to the kitchen. Do it right, and it's a slam dunk. The next question is how can they afford to buy it.

Most cars, I'm guessing, are brought by men. Just like with women, men have a superficial check list, check, check, check, and check. We're good to go. No need to talk, let's screw. So it's the same with cars. We see one. If it checks the boxes, we're good. If it doesn't, we pass. Moreover, we don't like change. I love the old coke bottle look Camaros. I can't stand the new slab sided ones. Somewhere there is a guy who like the '70s/'80s wedge shapes. I think BMW nailed it with the e36 look. Everything since then is at best blah.

Frankly, other than not being able to fit in a car, I don't remember any interior being a deal breaker or maker.

Your thoughts?

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well, first of all, over 50% of cars are purchased by females and over 80% of car purchases are influenced by females. So your premise is slightly flawed.
    As mentioned before, vehicles are designed from the inside out with a basic package drawing showing where the occupants sit, where the powertrain is, suspension, storage, etc.
    In a perfect world, there is a common vision from the beginning as to what style the vehicle should take. Elegant, aggressive, sport, expensive, etc.
    Then the exterior team and the interior team begin the process. In some companies the exterior and the interior are designed side by side. In other companies, they are designed in separate rooms, with communication between the two. There's no one right way. Whatever works to get the best design. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah ha! I found it. I found the New World Order conspiracy. Look at the Super Car template. Windshield is so damn raked, I'll never fit. (BTW, I have never been able to even sit in a Lambo.) And those wheels. Arg! Those wheels are too damn big. But again, aren't you starting with the exterior?

Actually, I'm just old. Here's what I find pleasing. It's an old Jensen car, A40 I believe.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not necessarily. The Interior & the Exterior should usually start at the same time.
    They go together and interface with each other

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I can see that. And I'm not saying elevations are an afterthought in home design, but they come after the floor plans.

BTW, notice how the wheels on the Jensen are not too big. I think it is a cool looking car.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You & those big wheels! Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    This is true, but the exterior is always dominant, except on the rare occasion when there is some "new" interior concept that is defining the whole car. Exterior design brings in the buyer and usually seals the deal.

19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I'm 6'6" and I will happily drive your Lambo for you :D

jm2 likes this.
  20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    NeuroBeaker and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You must be a lot more limber than me. Plus, remember I like to sit up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    OK. I'll bite! :D

I'll admit that I had to look up that word. Here are some interesting pictures found:

The new and improved Bustleback II? I don't know if imolimation is even a word...

How to make room to fit big wheels on a vintage Seville Bustleback! :eek:

Bustleback was once so popular, someone made a kit to upgrade the PT Cruiser! :eek:

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The 'bangle butt' Image Unavailable, Please Login was another aberration, but a much more successful one.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I thought it was called a bubble butt.

jm2 likes this.