Are Challenge Cars Street-legal? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Are Challenge Cars Street-legal?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by DavidSB, Dec 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'll take a look at my manual and if something looks like it answers your question I will post it.

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Many F355 Challenge cars were modified after they no longer competed in the Challenge Series. In the North American Ferrari Challenge Series, they were required to have intact stock ECUs, emissions systems and catalytic converters. My car never had the catalytic converters removed even after it was retired from the Ferrari Challenge Series and went on to compete in SCCA.

I'm sure Universal can tell you what's still on your car. They can also take care of the SLOW DOWN 1-4 light.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    As I posted before, your problem is the cat temp ecu's, E on the diagram. Disconnect them and the light should go out. If you have no cats, they aren't doing anything anyway.

4. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    So I picked up the car yesterday and found out that I do in fact have sensors going into the straight pipes. The slow down 5-8 is still on so I'm going to try to swap the sensors and see whether this tracks the side they are on? (i.e. isolate the problem to the sensor or ECU).

Car runs great otherwise...

5. Atul

Atul Rookie

Apr 15, 2012
    London, Bangalore
    Full Name:
    Atul Saini
    Hi Everybody!

I've had a 1998 Ferrari 355 Challenge here in the UK since June 2013 and have tracked it about 10 times (Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donington Park, SPA Francorchamps). I'm thinking of making the car street legal, which can be done much more easily here in the UK than in the States.

The important question I have is this: when one raises the ride-height (to get over speed bumps, etc. on the street), how badly is the track-handling affected? That's the ONLY major concern I have. I plan on keeping everything else Challenge-spec (springs, spoiler, roll bar, etc.). The idea is to be able to drive it to the track, switch to slicks/wets on the track, and drive back. The car is pretty reliable for the most part but the problem is that I don't want to get a tow-vehicle and a trailer, etc. Too much storage.

I've heard that raising the ride-height does affect handling a bit. The question is, how much? Are we talking about a second or two per lap? More? Less? Any advise would be appreciated.

I understand the street ride will not be fun but for sure it makes it easier to get the car to the track (and back). The big issue is the ride-height since the super-low Challenge-spec car will just not cut it on the street. As far as the spoiler is concerned - the idea is to wear a helmet in the car (at least a bicycle helmet for basic protection :).

Thanks,

-- Atul

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Atul,

My F355 Challenge's ride height has remained unchanged since it raced in the Challenge Series in 1995. I haven't experienced any problems with it on the street. We have some pretty rough roads here in the Spring after the snow is gone.

I know some Challenge cars' suspensions were modified later on and are a bit lower than mine. My car's ride height is about two inches lower than a stock F355. You can get an idea from the pictures I posted.

Does your car still have its original springs and shocks?

Congratulations on your F355 Challenge.

Barry

7. vito308

vito308 Rookie

Aug 29, 2009
    would you be interested in selling it

8. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    Hi Dan,

Congratulations of purchasing the car. We know the car well, and did an extensive amount of work to it before you recently bought it. We performed the set up on the suspension, hence why the car is sitting low. Give me a call anytime to chat, and we are also more then happy to perform any repairs and adjustments to your liking. Thanks.

Pete

9. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #134 johnhoughtaling, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pete can set the ride height anyway you like. Franco Valobra famously drives his 355Ch to work and then races it in CCR. Always battling for the lead. The 355 is an Awesome car. Love to see yours back racing. The 2014 FORZA Tifosi Challenge is the year of the 355. CCR pays for two new Pirelli slicks with each race round entry. Check it out bc this car needs the new series sponsors!! Challenge Club Racing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #135 johnhoughtaling, Jan 2, 2014
  11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I want that car so badly.

12. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Which states will title a race car and how is it done?

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Challenge cars can be made street legal in Europe even when they are not listed on the VIN lists Ferrari issues to a country (DVLA etc)

14. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dantm......does this sound familiar? ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4nTykBOFk&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Ferrari F355 Challenge with Capristo Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

15. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
  16. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hey, Dan, did you get around to mailing out that check?

17. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Yes absolutely -- PM me if you haven't received it...

18. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Tim Gendreau, I spoke to him last week!

19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    If anyone knows of a CLEAN (95 only) challenge car for sale, please feel free to PM me.

20. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #145 mclaudio, Apr 26, 2014
  21. A.McLane

A.McLane Rookie

Jul 26, 2014
    I love this reply.

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

How can you get away with driving this on the street without turn signals on the front.

The factory CH bumper has turn signal openings/mounts.

23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Got a factory Ch bumper for sale? :)

24. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #149 bcwawright, Jul 30, 2014
    I have a CH front bumper that is a match for your rear bumper(side marker lights)...

This bumper probably weighs about the same as a CF factory part.

Where are you going to find any new front bumper for under $1K...??

Spares are always nice to have, especially when it will allow you to drive legally to the race track...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Chris458F1

Chris458F1 Rookie

Jan 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Christopher Falanga
    Wondering about converting a 458 Challenge car for street use. How hard would it be and what would the cost be? I live in Northern GA so we do have emissions checks so that may be the only issue. I have currently found a former challenge car that comes with a title. Any help would be greatly appreciates. Thanks in advance.