Portofino first 1000 miles | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Portofino first 1000 miles

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by George330, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

2. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Co
    congratulations! Mine arrived a week ago but I won’t be home to pick it up til next week. Have you owned a Cali T? Curious to know if people think the Portofino is a good improvement over the Cali T? I had a Cali T and wasn’t impressed with the sound.

3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I have driven the Cali T several times. It is a lovely car, but the Portofino is in another class altogether. The sound is improved, but don’t expect TDF or 599GTO sounds from this car! The biggest improvement is how the car wraps around you when you drive it. It feels much more nimble, responsive and smaller than a Cali T...The handling is a big step forward...And I can now confirm that it drives very well on winter tyres in near freezing temperatures!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thanks. Good to know. Looking forward to driving it.

BHMSOCCER and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Brilliant write up George as usual , we are indebited to your knowledge & experience, just out of interest what doesn't inspire you as much with the Bentley Conti GT, too big, heavy, V12 etc as the interior at least must be amazing no ?

6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Nothing like that...Both cars were bought as daily drivers and I wasn’t sure which one I would prefer. The Portofino was a Ferrari recommendation and the Conti GT was my idea. The Bentley is an incredible car. The interior is a work of art, the exterior design is a huge improvement and the performance is on a different planet compared to the old car. However it is a little bigger, a little heavier, a little less nimble and far flashier (yes it is hard to believe something could be flashier than a Ferrari) than the Portofino and I had to accept that this time Ferrari had a much better idea than me. Maybe I will regret it in a years’ time but right now it is no contest.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Looks incredible in black. I always wondered...great choice

Golden Steed likes this.
  8. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Button above your head around the rear view mirror de-activates the stop/start function. :)

635CSI and Golden Steed like this.
  9. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    I am thinking about Buying the New Bentley GT, How is the Head & Leg Room for 6 Foot adults ?

10. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    Sorry I forgot to say for the Rear passengers

11. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Surprisingly I felt more comfortable in the Lusso...It is still OK, but somehow I don’t really like the shape of the seat

635CSI likes this.
  12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting factoid, which my dealer told me and i haven't checked.
    The Lusso with the rear seats down has more cargo space that the Conti GT with its rear seats down.

Apologies for tangent, the OP's Portofino looks great.

13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Start/stop button. Didn’t have it on my Cali T, was on the Portofino Ferrari of Atlanta let me borrow for a few days. Hate the damn thing... I always turned it off. It was horrible in city (stop and go) traffic. Portofino is an awesome car!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Golden Steed likes this.
  14. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

Welp, the mystery of why you can't turn it off completely has been solved...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a19561461/automakers-increasingly-offer-ways-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    In a few other posts I have said that I expect this to keep creeping out and eventually become standard on everything. There is just too much pressure from environmental groups. Also expect to see a lot more hybrid vehicles as well. I honestly couldnt believe when my wife wanted to look at a hybrid mini van recently. And I recently checked out a BMW I8 which did impress me, or I may have had low expectations going in.

As much as I may not like it this, hybrid and all electric cars are going to become the norm. I guess it depends on your point of view how well this will be for you. There are days I’m ok with it and others I’m glad I’m not young anymore.

16. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    My other car is a new Mercedes AMG CLS53. It has (in addition to the standard 12V battery system) a 48V system with a small (1KWh) battery that provides (for short bursts) an additional 21hp but more importantly an additional 120 or so lb/ft of torque, completely eliminating any turbo lag from the inline 6. But another benefit is that the 48V system charges the 12V system directly (there is no alternator), and runs the start/stop system, which is virtually undetectable as a result. If all start/stop systems were as smooth as this one, it wouldn't be so bad.

But of course, most are not...